Thread: My new girlfriend

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar

My new girlfriend

Waited almost a year for this one. Long, long story. Bid on an old Remington 700 ML and won the dang bid. Figures! Not much spent. So I get a guy in Ohio to redo it for me........into a .45 cal Zoomer of a ML. He's done a lot of 'em (as have several others). Stock was no problem, but Pac-Nor took almost a year to get the barrel made. Then they got bad batch of steel, yada yada........finally got it yesterday.

The action was blued, and rusted and pitted and awful. My guy worked months on it, and then had it nickel plated.

Here she is. I have not named her yet. With a Harvester blue sabot and a Barnes Expander 195g, pushed by 60 grains of Vitavourhi Oy N120 powder, she should smoke anything out to 300 yards.

My new scope of choice, the Leupold VXr, this one in 4-12X50 sits on her.

I will waste precious hunting hours Thursday sighting her in at camp, I'm sure. But I can't wait to shoot her. I may have to back up against a tree to do it!!! Good thing it's a bull barrel. Heavy....which is good.

I now have gone ape doo doo crazy and bought two guns this year.......and I'm done. I'd like a .223 but don't need one.

Anyway, I need to think up a good name. She's a beaut.

Yes, Big Sky will puke when he sees it, but that's why they make chocolate and vanilla. Life is too short to dance with ugly wimmin.

WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Where's the rammin' rod???
    How long is y'all's Front Loader season?

300 yards!!! Mercy, I don't know that I'd try that with a 30-06 unless I practiced A LOT!!!
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

That is a sexy gun. Envy is what I feel.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar
    "Old Blue" will work just fine, nice looking shooten iron ya got there.
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

Custom stock doesn't have ramrod channel. Just adds weight. I "forgot" to order fold down ramrod, will do that.

ML season here is Oct 19 through 27. Then there are three more ML days at end of year, the last 3 days of the year, ending 12/31.

We have one or two zones in far NE Arkansas that don't allow CF rifles (like those backwards uncivilized states of Indiana, Ohio, etc....), and this is the 'beanfield' rifle of choice for those guys. That's where this idea was born. The Rem 700 ML action is the easiest to custom build off of. I bid on a few just on a whim, and danged if I didn't win one. So, the train started rolling down the tracks. This is the result.

The ballistics on this (as shot by others, I am just a reader) is about 2700 fps with a 250g bullet and this powder. The 195 should well exceed that.

I'm done with all smokeless powders. I got into this because I hated them, the nasty corrosive nature, the smoke..........and that's a plus. But range and killing power, and ballistics are the reason I got this one. That, and I needed a 2nd ML in case a family member hunts here sometime, especially at the farm.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    I'm by them holey stocks like I am about compound bows, that ain't what it's supposed to look like
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

You said "I'm done with all smokeless powders. I got into this because I hated them,"
    That gun you just built uses SMOKELESS POWDER!
    Are you on crack?
    I like your choice of scopes and action....
    Nice shooter. Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

That's a good lookin' shootin' iron Bucky. I hope you hit one in the eye at 299 yards and he's a monster.

BKB

Yep, Cappy. Big time crack user. Also known as SENILITY.

I meant "I'm done with black powder".

What gun? All I see are those Oreos!!

A case thereof

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    Couple buddies had those things built. I think theirs are .50s? Shooting like 330 grain bullets at that speed and absolutely deadnutz accurate. I'm betting you'll love it. Congrats.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

The blue elephants in Arkansas are in for a surprise.

BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Trav's Avatar
    Congrats Bucky, that sure looks good. If she shoots half as good as she looks you will be set. I would venture to say you don't even need that Tikka .270, I will be by shortly to get rid of it for you.
    “ No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave”

James Burg, An Enquiry into, Public Errors, Defects and Abuses 1775

Very cool looking! If you miss, you can beat them to death with one of those 17 rolling pins on the table.

So called noticers are asleep at the wheel!
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

I'm pretty sure Mrs Bucky calls those 'Bucky Alignment Tools'. Prolly has them all over the house.

BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    Actually Bucky I really like it. In fact, I like it enough, I half hope you hate it and end up selling it to me...cheap in a coupl'a years. In all honesty I hope it becomes a deer slaying machine for you. Looks great and I have a very similar looking rifle (brown on brown laminate TH Stock) in a 30.06.

Good looking rifle...