Thread: Squirrel Gun Recommendations

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    okay, let's see.. like several have said, unless the Marlin really has some age on it I'd be surprised if it doesn't have a grooved receiver. Rugers come with a removable base from the factory (4 screws) I replaced the base on mine and it does now take Weaver style rings. Weaver style rings are wider that those for a grooved receiver. Not a thing wrong with a Marlin 60 but the Ruger has arguably the best removable magazine ever made. Depending on what you get Rugers, Marlins and 597s all tend to shoot comparably out of the box. All or any may be picky on ammo - in fact they are likely to be. While the mods on Rugers are limitless there are mods you can do on both Marlins and (especially) 597s to get them to perform better. One thing - the 597 is a "man-sized" rifle while the Ruger and the Marlin are more "carbines" and probably better suited for kids. As far as scopes I don't think you can beat the Nikon ProStaff rimfire series. Great for the money.

One of the rifles I built is .17 Mach II.. Possibly the best squirrel cartridge ever built but for general use, I'd still stay with the .22.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Ok...as to what kind of new(ish) rifle to get for the lads....

Are you planning to shoot only "high velocity" 22LR rounds?? I like to shoot subsonic 22CB rounds at the "vermin" around the house. BUT I do not live in an area where it is unlawful to shoot a firearm....just don't wanna make a lot of racket. Those rounds will not auto-cycle in a semi-auto action. Which is why I use a lever action 22. They will manually cycle in a semi-auto though.

I was gonna suggest the Browning Auto 22 because it ejects its empty brass downwards. BUT JB says the brass ejecting from his 10-22 don't bother him. So, 10-22 just might be a good choice...IF you go for a new(ish) rifle.
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org