Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squirrel Gun Recommendations

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar

Squirrel Gun Recommendations

The boy's have a hankering (and so do I) to put a dent in the squirrel population and I'm looking for recommendations. They have a .22, but it's Marlin pump and I don't think it's set up to receivec a scope. I think I'd like to stick with a .22, but am looking for something I can mount a scope on and they can really practice their shooting at something other than paper targets. Oh yeah, they're both lefties and one of them is right eye dominant. So, I'm thinking bolt actions are out. Any advice?
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Chick, I'm sure you'll get plenty of suggestions on your question, so here's mine.
    Ruger 10-22 with a Burris 3-9 scope.
    It's not a fancy or expensive set-up, but deadly accurate, even to the tops of the tallest trees.

image.jpg
    Southern Gentleman

Is the receiver of that Marlin not "grooved"? Meaning a "raised" portion of the reciever about 1/4" wide.
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

I'll have to check on that Niner. Is there a way to mount a scope to it if it is?

Oh yes! That is the way almost all 22's mount scopes. They sell a "special" mount that grips that "rail" on the 22.

Cancer Sucks!

My old Marlin (Model 60?) came with a scope. I gave that gun to my son many years ago. If memory serves me correctly, Weaver style rings were on it, but I could be mistaken. That gun developed a feed problem and soft lead bullets would hang up and jamb up the works. I always had to shoot the pricier CCI's through it. It would have been an easy fix I think, I just never screwed with it.

That said, I replaced that gun with a Ruger 10-22 and never looked back. (In fact, Curt Hunter has that gun now) I'd say that's one of the best all-around .22's FOR THE MONEY. (thought I'd throw in a disclaimer before the professionals jump me).

Plus there are a zillion custom parts out there and you can customize that thing into about anything you can dream up.

Ruger 10-22. For sure would be my choice.
    I have one, as well as a Remington 597.
    The 597 is accurate, but does not feed nearly as well as the ruger.
    Not too mention the aftermarket / upgrade parts for the rugers are much easier to come by then the Remington.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    My first reccomendation is to teach the one that is right eye dominant to shoot right handed. It will help a lot especially with long guns. If he's already shooting lefty, I think both of you will be amazed at the increase in accuracy by switching.

I shoot lefty, but only have one gun that is a left hand model. I tried a left hand 870 once and I'm so used to the way the safety is on a right hand model, I had a real hard time adjusting, so I just stayed with a righty. My lefty is an Anschutz 1416 .22. It's a bolt action.

I wouldn't rule out a bolt action just because of them being left handed, a lot of companies make left handed models now.

I think that the scope is just as important a choice as the rifle. A good scope makes a world of difference in my opinion.
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Here's what the rings/mount looks like.

image.jpg

Cancer Sucks!

....and you can use a "regular" 1" scope.

Cancer Sucks!

You got that right, Thump....customization is endless....no telling what this gun costs to customize.

ruger.jpg
    Southern Gentleman

DD - That's exactly what I finally figured out this past Monday. He's always been all over the place with the BB gun and the .22 in the past. At age 10, I always figured it was because he was really trying to shoot a rifle that's stock was too long for him. After a couple of shots that weren't even on paper this past Monday, I finally had him switch to right handed and he was actually a pretty good shot. (We'd tried different tests to determine eye dominance and never got a consistent result. If you knew this kid, nothing about that or off-eye dominance would surprise you. He's always been a conundrum and I've finally just decided to appreciate it as part of his charm.) Even though they are both left handed, his older brother is "purely" left handed (can't do anything with his right) and he's a little more ambidextrous so shooting right handed won't be that big an issue for him.

The reason I don't want a bolt action is that I want them to both be able to shoot this rifle. When I got the older boy his first deer rifle last year, I got him a left handed bolt action.

Niner, I'll take a look at it when I get home. But, I don't think it does.

RT, I was looking at the Rem 597 as Dick's has a sale this week. But, the reviews I saw online were similar to your comment. Sounds like quality (particularly with regards to feeding) is a little inconsistent.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    Browning makes an absolutely beautiful left hand 22 hank... but as you'd guess, they aren't giving them away. I'm wondering whether Remington made the 541 in a left handed version. My 22 is a Rem 541 and it is a wonderful little rifle.

Will

Quote Originally Posted by Niner View Post
    Here's what the rings/mount looks like.

image.jpg
    Aren't those just regular ol' 1" Weaver style rings? It's been so long, I don't remember what I had on my Marlin.

No, Weaver Style mounts are a different animal. I'd say about all 22's made since the 1950's (just a guess), have a grooved rail made into the receiver for scope mounting instead of being drilled and tapped like a center fire rifle.

These mounts "pinch" that rail. The ones in my pic are made by Tally. I got those because they are tall enough so I could mount an old 40mm objective scope on it.

Cancer Sucks!

I was hoping Hidehunter would chime in here. He built that really sweet little squirrel gun a couple years ago that'd be a perfect gun for squirrels. Wasn't it a .17 HMR? And I think there's several pretty cool options from manufacturers too.

BKB

Quote Originally Posted by Niner View Post
    No, Weaver Style mounts are a different animal. I'd say about all 22's made since the 1950's (just a guess), have a grooved rail made into the receiver for scope mounting instead of being drilled and tapped like a center fire rifle.

These mounts "pinch" that rail. The ones in my pic are made by Tally. I got those because they are tall enough so I could mount an old 40mm objective scope on it.
    Ummm, yeah ... am I missing something here? Weaver rings mount directly ONTO the rail ... correct?

You know, now that I think about it Niner ... you may be right. I think that Model 60 came with a tiny, piddly-assed scope from the factory. I'm not sure I ever changed it. It's been so long ago (it was my first .22) that I just don't remember. It seems maybe the rails were narrower than the standard rail mount for Weaver rings. (sucks to be a pUmpHEaD)

Correction to my prior post. Those are Warne rings in the pic.

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/111...s-matte-medium

Cancer Sucks!

It's a Matlin Pump-Action 22 you say?
    Is it an antique (1900's)?
    What model is it???

Cancer Sucks!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    CD, the easiest test I've found for eye dominance is to have someone point at an object with both eyes open. Then close or cover each eye separately. Your finger will only be pointing at the object with your dominant eye.
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar
    There are some nice lever action 22's out there. I have a Marlin 39A, Browning makes a nice as did Winchester. I understand Henry's are good also.
    As far as a Ruger 10/22 goes, I have one and love it, I"m a lefty also and it does not seem to bother me one bit shooting it.
    but it does not have the groves at the top of the receiver. I had to buy a one piece base and rings.Ruger 10-22.jpgIMG_3500.JPG
    Last edited by jb; 11-14-2013 at 04:51 PM.
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

Roger that JB, but the 10/22 is drilled & tapped for mounts. Right?

Cancer Sucks!

Personally, I don't remember ever buying a Ruger that didn't come with it's own set of rings.

CD... If you find the right ammo, that Remmy 597 shoots just fine

Mine loves CCI stingers. But won't feed or shoot anything else worth a damn.

The Ruger on the other hand eats anything you give it.

Quote Originally Posted by Arty View Post
    CD... If you find the right ammo, that Remmy 597 shoots just fine

Mine loves CCI stingers. But won't feed or shoot anything else worth a damn.

The Ruger on the other hand eats anything you give it.
    Same persact experience with me Arty. My Marlin would only feed the CCI Stingers without jamming. The Ruger on the other hand, would fire anything I loaded in the mag. 'Course, the Ruger had a rotary mag whereas the Marlin fed from a tube. Big difference.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    okay, let's see.. like several have said, unless the Marlin really has some age on it I'd be surprised if it doesn't have a grooved receiver. Rugers come with a removable base from the factory (4 screws) I replaced the base on mine and it does now take Weaver style rings. Weaver style rings are wider that those for a grooved receiver. Not a thing wrong with a Marlin 60 but the Ruger has arguably the best removable magazine ever made. Depending on what you get Rugers, Marlins and 597s all tend to shoot comparably out of the box. All or any may be picky on ammo - in fact they are likely to be. While the mods on Rugers are limitless there are mods you can do on both Marlins and (especially) 597s to get them to perform better. One thing - the 597 is a "man-sized" rifle while the Ruger and the Marlin are more "carbines" and probably better suited for kids. As far as scopes I don't think you can beat the Nikon ProStaff rimfire series. Great for the money.

One of the rifles I built is .17 Mach II.. Possibly the best squirrel cartridge ever built but for general use, I'd still stay with the .22.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

I'm still curious about what model that pump-action Marln is. Are you sure it's not a Remington or a Winchester???

Cancer Sucks!