Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Squirrel Gun Recommendations

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    I'm liking the sounds if the Ruger. JB, that's a beautiful rifle. Have you guys heard anything about the Savage Model 64?
    Last edited by Chicken Dinner; 11-15-2013 at 09:05 AM.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Ok...as to what kind of new(ish) rifle to get for the lads....

Are you planning to shoot only "high velocity" 22LR rounds?? I like to shoot subsonic 22CB rounds at the "vermin" around the house. BUT I do not live in an area where it is unlawful to shoot a firearm....just don't wanna make a lot of racket. Those rounds will not auto-cycle in a semi-auto action. Which is why I use a lever action 22. They will manually cycle in a semi-auto though.

I was gonna suggest the Browning Auto 22 because it ejects its empty brass downwards. BUT JB says the brass ejecting from his 10-22 don't bother him. So, 10-22 just might be a good choice...IF you go for a new(ish) rifle.
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

I've got two model 10-22's one of them has the exact Manlicker stock as the one jerry posted. The other is regular stock and stays at the SC house. It has kilt a pile of stuff from turtles to coons and possums. They are very dependable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Niner - I checked it out a little closer last night. It was a gift to the boys from their Step Grandfather who mentored me early in my shooting/hunting career. He was a big black powder guy and got me into that, as well as, taught me how to butcher deer. At any rate, I think it may be a little more rifle than I realized. He just gave it to the boys for Christmas after he got sick and never said anyting about it. But, it's an older Marlin Model 38. He was a shooter and not a "collector" and it's seen some use and he would have want it to be used by them.

Niner, it'll be mostly plinking and squirrel hunting out in the country. I live in about a suburban neighborhood as you'll find. The neighbors have gotten used to me popping the squirrels in my vegatables wiht a bb gun. But, they might take issue with even a subsonic .22 round.

Oh man, that's a cool old gun. Last made about 1930. I think a modern one would be a good idea.

Of course that's coming from a guy who's favorite deer rifle is over 50 years old.
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org