Thread: What a way to star the week!

What a way to star the week!

This weekend, Lynn got a phone call from one of her managers to let her know there was a fire at the Hyatt. Evidently one of the a/c (window) units shorted out and caught fire. That, in turn, caught the draperies on fire and it went from there. It set the sprinkler system off and the fire was extinguished, BUT the smoke went into the hallways and set THOSE sprinklers off and the chain reaction continued on. (I assume the sprinklers are hooked to heat sensors as well as smoke detectors) The good news is, everybody was evacuated with no injuries.

Needless to say, the place is a mess. They had to evacuate all the guests and then find them other accommodations in town. Lynn's at work now cancelling all the future reservations and trying to find alternate accommodations for those guests as well as greeting the oblivious incoming guests with the wonderful news. Of course, the flooding went through from the top floors down to the bottom floors (6 stories I think). They have power restored to the lobby (where the offices are) but it appears the hotel will be closed until around Christmas. This doesn't look good right now.

To make matters worse ... 3 out of the 4 top managers (including Lynn's boss) are on vacation this week. The head dude (GM) is on a cruise and upon his return, will have a real surprise awaiting him!

Fire has always been one of my fears when staying at a hotel. I'm not paranoid about it, but it definitely makes you think about all of the idiots in the world and your safety kind of depends on them not doing something stupid and burning the place down. I have been evacuated from a hotel before because of fire, although it was a little one and not in the section I was in. Still it makes you think about stuff.
    That one there sounds like a mess.

BKB

Yeppers, I never think much about it "here" ... but overseas I get a bit nervous. The places I stay ... sprinklers are unheard of and IF there's any "fire hose" around, it would be a 1/2" plastic garden hose with about 1 1/2 PSI water pressure! To make matters worse ... most of them are built with wood!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    Can only imagine what a mess that is going to be to deal with. Glad to hear no one was injured.

I always always always walk down the fire exit path when I check in to a hotel. I also identify anything I can use to club people to death that are blocking my way due to uncalled for hysterics
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    Never worry about it. I figure I'm not getting out of this world alive. Something sooner or later is gonna take me out. Not going to spend much thought as to what it might be. Not saying I'm not cautious, just saying I don't fret over what I have no control over.

I try to have that attitude most of the time, Troy but then I get out and about and see what passes for the 'public'. And then I have to tell myself that hopefully the world isn't as flammable as all that anyway. Or is it inflammable? I always forget.

BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    I'm like you Len.. When I go searching for the ice machine (usually about the second thing I do ) I take the stairs.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.