Thread: Whole Foods, GMOs, Organic, all that stuff

Whole Foods, GMOs, Organic, all that stuff

I know y'all think 'organic' is a bunch of hooey, and so do I but probably not for the same reasons. I think its hooey because our very own USDA has blurred the line between what people THINK they're getting when they buy organic and what they really do get. What they end up with is more factory food that probably isn't much better for you than anything else you pick up off the shelf. Whole Foods is the same thing. A big giant rip off with inflated prices where people can feel good about the food choices they've made because it came from a place called Whole Foods.

But this GMO stuff has me wondering. We've seen big rises in the occurrances of type 2 diabetes, autism, and other things that the radicals are saying are a results of all of the GMO foods that are in our system. If you just google it, you'll be amazed at how much there is. I'm not sure there is even a way to avoid it. On top of that, what is the difference between selecting offspring for certain characteristics and breeding for resistance to disease and so forth. That's been going on since man first stuck a seed in the ground or wanted pigs that were fatter or the cow milk to have more or less fat. Isn't that modifying the DNa of animals in a way that changes their characteristics?

Like global warming, I think this is an area where neither the pros or the antis are right. there's probably too much of it going on and probably it isn't as dangerous as many people think.

Still, if you just look at the list of things that we've genetically modified its pretty dang crazy.

BKB

Yeah, every Yuppie I know will flock to Whole Foods and Fresh Market down here. In California, Trader Joe's is the big Yuppie "go to" place. I like them only because they have a few interesting items you don't normally find anywhere else, but I try to avoid buying much of anything there due to the inflated prices. I pay no attention whatsoever to the "organic" or "health" claims, etc. My favorite is their "freeze-dried" okra. I'm not sure how they make it ... fried, then freeze-dried? I don't know. But, they have a zillion different veggies like that and they make great snacks. Lynn likes the string beans ... I go for the okra. VERY light and crunchy ... like potato chips, but whole. Heck, on the okra, ya' even eat the stems (or whatever you call the little "pod" thingy at the base of the things).

I'm a fried okra lover too. My favorite though is those hot okra pickles.

BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    Monsanto began selling seeds for its first consumer-oriented vegetable product, a “stacked trait” sweet corn genetically engineered with three Bt-toxin genes that make the corn itself an insecticide, plus a “Roundup Ready” gene that enables the corn to withstand Monsanto’s herbicide glyphosate. Yum Yum.....

Oh hell, that ain't but the tip of the iceberg. Monsanto also has round up ready soybeans, canola, cotton, sugar beets, and alfalfa just to name a few.And they also own patents on those plants so they essentially 'own' a sub species of these plants. Weird. Isaac Asimov couldn't have imagine a crazier sci fi future than what is our reality.

BKB

Dang Airbud, I think you just ruined my lunch!

Yeah P-hole, I LOVE fried okra and also fried squash ... but can't stand either of them boiled. Makes me want to barf just typing it! These aren't anything like "fried okra" and it's hard to explain really. They're dry, crunchy when you eat them and barely heavier than air. Much like fried pork rinds in a way. Pick up a bag next time you're there. They're in the "bulk food" area where you dig the stuff out of the tubs and bag them yourself ... or they pre-bag/weigh some that you can simply pick up and purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Dang Airbud, I think you just ruined my lunch!

Airbud is on topic. YOU, sir, are talking about stuffing your face

I know I know... stayin on topic isn't what we do. But I need some info on the subject so stuff some Okra in your piehole!
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    In spite of my Whole Foods turkey, I totally agree. There's just no way I could afford to feed my family if we did all our shopping at these places. I will buy something like a turkey or fish there for a special occasion. But, mostly because they have a wider selection of good fresh stuff. I do worry about all the crap that's in our food supply though. Having a 13 year old, I can tell you they definitely hit puberty earlier than they did a generation ago and there's got to be a reason for that.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) johnboy's Avatar
    http://www.theprovince.com/technolog...401/story.html

This is the kind of GM 'food' that worries me. It's just the tip of the iceberg and opens the door pretty wide for any recombinant DNA frankenfood.

My biggest concern is that corporations are patenting food and it gets more and more difficult for growers to compete without using their products. What happened to some Saskatchewan canola farmers should have been a red flag for everyone.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...-monsanto.aspx

My organic foods store is the garden in my yard, the deer, fish and ducks i shoot. wish I could eat just that stuff all the time.

SOYLENT GREEN!!!!
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org