Thread: Coons..

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar

Coons..

Been out harassing the coons a bit. About to slam shut with the weather coming in but we've had fun the last couple days. We just get some absolute monsters doing this.

Attached Images Attached Images
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

looks like you been on a roll... getting ready to try this with my daughter picked up a wildfire2 to use

Here's a coyote that got all wrapped up in his work.. You can see why Sky gets the big bucks for those western 'yotes and some years they won't even buy ours.

If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Quote Originally Posted by Cards01 View Post
    looks like you been on a roll... getting ready to try this with my daughter picked up a wildfire2 to use
    When it works it is an absolute riot. DBY we had a total of five come in on the ground. One grabbed my backpack, laying by the caller, and shook it like a terrier. We were laughing so hard he got completely away.

btw - that Wildfire looks like a great bang for the buck. I'm wondering if it will take over the Spitfire.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    HH, man I've been waiting for you to post of a pile of coons. I really have to figure out how to hunt those things. I'm sure I have the right sounds already on my caller. I'm just not sure which to use. What's your specific favorite "go-to" sound?

The only thing our 'yotes are good for is buzzard chow! Nothing down here ever gets a "winter coat".

Sky.. I like to start with either the "Baby Raccoon Distress" or the "Young Coon Distress". Seems those old sows are hardwired to respond to those. If I see nothing or coons that look and won't come out, I'll switch to "Raccoon Fight" .. This probably is the "go to". I'll let it play 3-4 minutes. Be ready because this sometimes brings them out on the run. Still nothing, or won't come out, I go to "Raccoon Distress". I'll let it play a minute or two. Again, be ready because smaller coon will often bail out and run away from this.

If you haven't seen anything by now - just as well move on. If I have one still looking I'll switch calls around for maybe 10 minutes. Keep your head on a swivel. Probably 50% of the coons we see don't come out of the hole (or even tree) you are watching. And - some come in on the ground snarling and growling and carrying on. The whole thing is a riot.
    Last edited by HideHunter; 12-05-2013 at 02:32 PM.

Man that sounds like a hoot! I've only hunted coons over dogs. Still fun, but that calling sounds like a blast!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Like Jim I've only chased them with dogs when I was a kid. It's ton of fun, but that right there looks like a really good time.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

I will try your sound recommendations as well. I hope the wildfire2 will be a good one been wanting to upgrade to a Foxpro for the last couple of years and never pulled the trigger until now.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Lions ate all of ours.