Thread: Mandela

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar

Mandela

Heck of a man.

I should learn to forgive those that deride me as he did.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

The world lost a good man today.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    I can remember ~some~ of what was going on over in SA. Seems like forever ago. I can't claim to know a hell of a lot about him and I am a bit redfaced about it.

But I agree that he seemed to be a heck of a person. Couldn't imagine being able to undergo what he did and come out the other side as intact and humane as he did. It really is an amazing thing.

Then I see so many deriding him as a commie and a terrorist and all manner of things. Methinks there is more than a little bit of racism involved in how a lot of folks saw him. This coming from a guy who doesn't claim to be the personification of inclusion and openmindedness on issues regarding race. Maybe I am just uninformed.

Very interesting thing: Most of the guys that I see who are really glad to see him go are the ones I see ready to start a civil war in the US over the "gubmint" taking away their rights.

Hmmm. I really wonder what kind of reaction we would get out of them if the roles they and Mandela played in life were reversed. Again, maybe I am just uninformed.

Will

I haven't seen or heard much 'anti' Mandela' stuff to be honest. We have a habit of sitting back and judging other countries that have human and civil rights issues and criticizing them for not doing something about it. Mandela was one that did stand up to the authority in his country and did it with courage. He did something about it and was imprisoned for it for 27 years. then when he got out and became president, he included the very people who imprisoned him in the new government, which as far as I'm concerned took a lot more guts than I'd have. I can't find anything to criticize Mandela about and there's a ton to praise him for. Human beings truly can make a big difference.
    BKB

I didn't see much of what Willie was referring to until today and he's dead on. It's usually the ignorant conservative types that think the way they do because they're too stupid to consider any other point of view. The type that cause me to feel embarrassed for being semi-conservative from time to time. They remind of of the Monty Python guys "WITCH!"

My opinion of Mandela is much like BBPs. There aren't many true leaders that walk the talk. He was one.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.