Thread: Just talked to my parents

Just talked to my parents

Just to check on them. They still own and operate a radio station in my home town. SE Oklahoma has had over an inch of ice, which is a lot if you've ever been in an ice storm. At 12:30 this morning they drove by themselves up Poteau Mountain, which is rugged even in good weather, to their transmitter site because the radomes on the antenna were getting covered with ice and making the transmitter switch off due to reflected power. They made it to about a mile from the transmitter and the old man had to walk the rest of the way to switch the thing over to low power. He is 72 and my Ma is 76. I asked them why they didn't take someone with them and he said "We will next time, I promise". They're safe and sound now and have generators and such since ice storms have been more common in recent years here. Nowadays I wouldn't be without one. tough stock, those two.

BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar
    Wow, and inch of ice can cause big time damage, trees, wires, awnings etc.
    Glad they're OK, good luck with all the shit.
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    Man.. an inch is major stuff.. Tough stock is right.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    I've been though several ice storms and an inch is a huge one. Cannot imagine going out in that stuff unless it was a life/death situation. But old folks with an independent streak a lot of times have seen so much that they just go on with life and don't give such things much thought.

Will

Well I wonder if their hardheadedness was a genetic trait or if they.... uhhhhh, nevermind.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.