Thread: Another estate sale find ... and a ton of confusing info on the net.

Another estate sale find ... and a ton of confusing info on the net.

I was at a sale on Friday and spent some time with the guy with the estate sale company. We've become pretty good "friends" over time and I have a very good relationship with him. He told me there was something he wanted to show me ... and pulled out an old machete. He said he found it while cleaning out the attic. It was wrapped up in a ton of old newspaper and he almost threw the whole mess out (thinking it was just paper), but he dug a bit deeper because it felt a bit heavier than it should. While I was there, a guy who had been there earlier in the morning, brought in a magazine article with the history of this knife and it's maker. According the the article, the maker had passed away in the late 1800's and his sons continued with the business. This particular machete was made in England (supposedly) for the Civil War!

My "friend" told me the man who lived in the house had died 30+ years ago and his widow just passed recently. He assumes the husband had stored it in the attic and it's been "lost" up there all these years. I did some quick research on the piece and there have been eBay listings for similar knives over the years, but the info AND pricing has been all over the map. Even on Google searches, I get conflicting info. All I know is Robert Mole & Sons made quality knives and swords in the 1800's.

He was asking a pretty penny for it, but it was still there when I went back Saturday. He told me it was MADE for me and I "needed" to buy the piece. I asked for his rock-bottom price and he quoted me something that was actually 60% less than his initial asking price. I told him I was interested, but I'm really confused about it's age AND it's worth. He then told me if I can't sell it and make a tidy profit, just bring it back to him and he'll buy it back for what I paid for it. I figured, "What have I got to lose"? Needless to say, I now own it.

What's imprinted on the blade is:

Robert Mole & Sons
    Birmingham, England

The trademark is a picture of a "double stacked steamship" with the word "STEAMER" inside the logo.
    Under the logo is the word "Registered".
    Next to that it says: "No. 350"

With a Google search, I was able to find this (book?). Note the author (Wilkinson) ... he's the Wilkinson of Wilkinson Sword, which later bought out Robert Mole & Sons.

I'll post a few pics of my "new" machete. Not sure what it's worth, but at least it's interesting!

molemachette1208 024.JPG molemachette1208 027.JPG

molemachette1208 009.JPG molemachette1208 010.JPG

Dude, check your PM's.....
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

Well crap Niner! I answered your message early this morning with a bazillion word, detailed response. Now that I check the PM "sent" file, nothing is there. Dang it! Maybe e-mail would'a been the best way to go. I wonder if there's a word limit on the PM's? It was a LONG one.