Thread: Ok thechies ... I gots a question ...

Ok thechies ... I gots a question ...

I've spent all morning cleaning out one of our spare bedrooms that has been used as nothing more than a "catch-all" for the past umpteen years. If we don't need it ... but it's too "good" to throw away, it usually ends up in this room. Heck, the closet is filled with clothes that "will be great to have once I lose some weight!" Ha! Fat chance (no pun intended). Anyway, after going in there to retrieve some Christmas crap ... I decided it's time to give it a good clean-out.

In one corner was a stack of old computer towers. (I've NEVER thrown one away) Would you believe I have NINE dang old derelict computers here??!! Ok, so I've spent all morning yanking out the hard drives and setting the towers aside to haul off to the recycler. My question is, what's the easiest way, short of an atomic bomb, to destroy these old hard drives? Target practice comes to mind ... but I have no clue when I'll ever be back in the woods with a gun, so that's out. Any ideas? Is there any easy-peasy way to render them "junk"?

Ha! I just looked at the title of this post. I guess I got a bit dyslexic there. I wonder why the edit feature doesn't work on the title?

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    Um supposedly there's gold on those mother boards. I got a friend that extracts it and makes a nice little profit off those things. I never knew there was gold in those towers until he told me about it. Ya might want to learn more about that before you destroy everything.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    Oh and btw, there's several videos on Youtube explaining how to get the gold out of the hard drives.

Yeah, I saw a program on tv about a computer recycler. They had a whole warehouse stuffed full of zillions of old computers and that's what they did. They'd extract the gold and any other recyclable things from those junkers. They showed gold bars that came from the recycling ... but I forgot how many bazillion computers they had to go through to get it. I may do a quick Google search, but this place I saw was pretty high tech. There's gold in old cell phones also.

Yep, I watched a couple videos. Looks like a lot of work for the small volume I'd have here. Heck, I prolly have 8-10 old cell phones also .. maybe I'm rich and just don't know it! It looks like one of those deals that, if you're set up to turn some volume, you could make some money at it.

Drill thru the HD a couple times to destroy all data and any chance of getting the data off of them. Smashing the hell out of it with a hammer also works but make sure you bend the platters inside the unit.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

What did the Platters ever do to you, other than sing some pretty shitty beach music?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Only you Captain. (pun intended)

I have a question about how to get data offa them there hard drives. I haven't ruint as many computers in my life as Jimmy but I do have three old units that I'd like to have a look at what data is on there before I go busting up platters.

BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Our city sanitation department has an annual free collection of anything electronic. In May I think. Call yours.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BBP View Post
    Only you Captain. (pun intended)

I have a question about how to get data offa them there hard drives. I haven't ruint as many computers in my life as Jimmy but I do have three old units that I'd like to have a look at what data is on there before I go busting up platters.

BKB

easy^....connect it as a second drive, it will show up as D:drive(usually)

drag and drop what you want on C:drive....Then shoot it with a shot gun @ close range(wear goggles)...

Edit: Remember ...>if there was a virus on said drive you could infect your current drive...
    Last edited by airbud7; 12-10-2013 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckrub View Post
    Our city sanitation department has an annual free collection of anything electronic. In May I think. Call yours.
    Getting rid of the computers is no problem at all ... all I wanted to know was the easiest way to destroy the hard drives. I have them all removed and in a box. Sure wish I knew someone who could use them for target practice. That would be perfect.