Thread: New Years Traditions

New Years Traditions

Have a pot of hoppin john (minus the rice) on the stove and will fry up some hog jowl later. Already have the cornbread made.

What do you folks inthe north have on New Years Day to bring you luck the coming year? My Mom made this traditional meal for as long as I remember. I know when I call her later to wish her a happy new year that she'll ask if I have it ready or not.

BKB

Typical "southern" New Years tradition here ...

Collard greens (w/meaty ham bone and lots of pot likker) , black-eyed peas and cornbread.

To see if you're REALLY "Southern" ... do you know what your left-over Hoppin' John is called tomorrow?

My wife calls them reasons to fan the covers.

BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    My wife calls them reasons to fan the covers.

BKB
    Lol...^

Sweet ice tea, pulled pork, peas and greens, cornbread and of course vinegar and hot peppers for the greens.

And the peas ain't no good unless there was a penny cooked in the pot with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

My grandfather always told me left-over Hoppin' Jonn was called Skippin' Jenny the day after New Years. I always thought it was just sumpin' my grandfather called it until 20 years or so ago I heard the term elsewhere.

This is from Wiki:

In the southern United States, eating Hoppin' John on New Year's Day is thought to bring a prosperous year filled with luck. The peas are symbolic of pennies or coins, and a coin is sometimes added to the pot or left under the dinner bowls. Collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens, chard, kale, cabbage etc. along with this dish are supposed to also add to the wealth since they are the color of money. Another traditional food, cornbread, can also be served to represent wealth, being the color of gold. On the day after New Year's Day, leftover "Hoppin' John" is called "Skippin' Jenny," and further demonstrates one's frugality, bringing a hope for an even better chance of prosperity in the New Year

I used to know how to make Jenny skip the next day. Nowadays she mostly runs.

BKB

You made Jenny skip and Jenny made you drip! Nuttin' a shot of penicillin wouldn't cure.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    Grandmother was Swedish.. We always ate cabbage.. I'm having squirrel and biscuits but I remembered a friend gave me some homemade sauerkraut. May have to break some out.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

I am trying smoked cabbage for the first time. Cored that puppy out and filled the hole up with a mixture of green pepper, jalapeno, onion, a stick of melted butter, and a couple of beef boullion cubes. Made a bacon skullcap for it and I'll put in on the smoker when the brisket is about an hour away. This might be a bomb or it might be THE bomb, who knows? But thought I'd give it a whirl.
    Oh, and mixing vodka and blackberry juice is an awesome mix ifyou don't overdo it with the blackberry juice.

BKB

I smoked a lot of cabbage in the 70's.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    I have always tried to wake up on New Year's Day.

Barely made it today.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Quote Originally Posted by HideHunter View Post
    Grandmother was Swedish.. We always ate cabbage.. I'm having squirrel and biscuits but I remembered a friend gave me some homemade sauerkraut. May have to break some out.
    We have a tradition here ... Lynn always makes a big batch of corned beef and cabbage on St. Patrick's Day.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    I was in FL turkey hunting with a buddy of mine St Pattys Day a few years ago. His mom came over from the old country. She made corned beef and cabbage. Her sister made soda bread. Thought I was gonna founder.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.