Thread: Wow! That was close!

Wow! That was close!

I wanted to keep my eBay sales under the $20,000 mark for the year so I didn't throw up any red flags with the IRS. I've mentioned before, PayPal is required to file a 1099 with the IRS if I cross over that $20,000 threshold. Sure, if I were the upstanding citizen I should be, I'd tell 'em myself ... but then they'd simply take some of it away from me so O'Bummer can give it away to some undeserving crack head who's never done an honest day's work in his life ... so f-'em!

I knew I was gonna be cuttin' it close ... but this is REALLY close. Here's the end of year accounting from eBay:

Global Sales:

Sales to date: $19,870.15
    Transactions: 797

A pretty good average since I deal in nothing but "smalls". I wanted to work for a $25.00 average and I hit $24.93/sale. (can't get much closer than that) Not bad for a little part-time "job" where I work in my underwear.

Wow! You mailed 797 packages!
    That's a whole bunch
    I need to box up a bunch of stuff for you to sell for me.
    Just the other day when you mentioned the hand held GPS made me think I've got 2 of those and software and cables to connect them to computer to download and make maps with waypoints. Etc...
    I have a portable depth finder that you can move from boat to boat. Runs off a lantern battery and is a great unit. Someone would like to have it I'm sure.
    Wonder if anyone here needs a NIB Remington 700 stock short action I think can't remember if it's ADL or BDL..
    Let's talk commission here!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Ha! I know what you're trying to do! You're trying to throw me over that $20,000 threshold this year, aren't you?

And what's the REAL kick in Bucky's shorts here?

Captain Quote:

Wow! You mailed 797 packages! That's a whole bunch!
    100% (including overseas shipping) was handled by the good ol' USPS and not ONE of those packages was lost or damaged!

Here are my ratings as reported by my buyers. (no mail complaints)

Average detailed seller ratings where 5 is top rated:

Your average/Low ratings

Item as described - 4.97/0.00% (0)
    Communication - 4.99/0.00% (0)
    Shipping time - 4.98/0.00% (0)
    Shipping and handling charges - 5.00/0.00% (0)

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    Thumper sometime I'd like to visit with you over the phone about this whole Ebay thing. It's kind of all Greek to me.

No prob. B/S ... I'm available most any time. I don't know ALL of the ins & outs ... just the small niche I work with.
    Cell) 863-712-7291

Figured I'd go back to my original avatar showing my fine self at work.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar
    Thump.
    You really really need to change your avatar, it's disgusting to even an old fart like me, I actually find it hard to look at.
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    Please get rid of that avatar. Otherwise I pretty much can't be checking in now and then at work. I wouldn't even want to begin to explain that photo to a student let alone their parents.

What??? You get hard looking at it? You're REALLY weird!

Sheeesh! Bunch'a cry babies!

Yes, but that $19.87K was gross. That doesn't take into account the "business expenses" of packaging, and shipping. Not to mention gasoline and vehicle wear/tear going to acquire your ''stock''. I'm guessing that if you were to go over the $20K line, that you'd be able to write down a lot of it. (But then, my last name is not Block.)
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

I think that's one of the neatest deals I've heard of anyone doing. You don't know how many times I've thought of trying something like that once I can retire. Hell, you could finance a lot of diving trips on that much annually.

BKB

Quote Originally Posted by Niner View Post
    Yes, but that $19.87K was gross. That doesn't take into account the "business expenses" of packaging, and shipping. Not to mention gasoline and vehicle wear/tear going to acquire your ''stock''. I'm guessing that if you were to go over the $20K line, that you'd be able to write down a lot of it. (But then, my last name is not Block.)
    You're absolutely right Co9 ... that is my gross. My expenses were right at $3200-$3500 which is still a pretty decent profit margin. Almost everything I buy is from estate sales or a church charity shop (two of them) here in town and my purchases are usually in the $0.25 - $2.00 range. Sometimes I buy "lots" on eBay ... for example I recently bought a lot of 19 razors for under $40. I sold ONE of those razors for $87.00! All the other pieces sold for between $15 and $50. I bought a box of 705 Gillette razor blades (cartridges) for $150 and sell them for $1 apiece which means a $555.00 profit! (Actually, I still have 275 in stock, but the initial investment was paid off in nine days of sales) Then there are the "flukes" ... like that Errol Flynn letter I found in the trash and sold for $700 plus (or was it $800+ ... forgot now). Honestly, as far as COB ... that $3200 mentioned above covers inventory, packaging and shipping. I don't even try to figure gas and depreciation, etc. like a bonafide business. I ENJOY going to these estate sales and consider it "recreation" instead of work. Besides, this is a small town (15 miles from one end to the other) and I try to stay local, so my travel expenses are minimal.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    That's really cool stuff Thumper...Heck, you make growing old sound fun!...Thanks...

Edit: That's one ugly avatar though...
    Last edited by airbud7; 01-02-2014 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by airbud7 View Post
    Edit: That's one ugly avatar though...
    And YOURS is ... ummmm .... yeah!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar