Thread: Charlie Strong to Texas

Charlie Strong to Texas

Sounds like a done deal. Also sounds like a stupid choice. Way to go Whorns.

BKB

ESPN kept telling us that Texas was the best coaching job in football, college or pro. Funny how all the big name candidates signed extensions to stay where they were. I'm thinking that the best fit for the best job might have been Mack Brown.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    I think Strong's a pretty good coach. It should be interesting to see how he holds up to the pressure a five year $25m deal brings you at Tejas. Next up, Penn State.

On a related note, will Urban Meyer ever win another game at tOSU?
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

I'd be willing to bet he doesn't make it two years at Texas. The donors at Texas are a bunch of old school oil and gas people and as such, Charlie Strong wouldn't be allowed in their front doors, much less to coach at their alma mater. Look for this to end much like Nolan Richardson at Arkansas, depending on the size of the chip Strong has on his shoulder. I hope not, but Texas ain't the dream job they think it is and he's gonna have to make some big time changes there and make a lot of waves. I just don't see the old billionaire donors standing for it too long. Who knows though. Sumlin faces much the same environment at aTm and he's done okay. It'll be interesting to watch. Meanwhile, Louisville gets treated like a stepping stone yet again.
    BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Charlie, Scotty Pippen, and I are all graduates of the same esteemed University.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Is that a race thing or just that he's not a good old boy? If the former, than they deserve what they get.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

He's a good ole boy, just black. Unfortunately, he'll do just fine. He is a good coach, knows football, and can recruit. And Louisville isn't the stepping stone that Arkansas State is!!! Besides, the uncommonwealth of Kentucky can't have basketball AND football, sorry.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

A bit of both, Hank. It wasn't that long ago, 1969 to be exact, that the number one and number two teams in the country played and they were both all-white non-integrated teams. That was Arkansas vs Texas. Most of the alum/donors are from that era.

BKB

Arkansas had a black player on that team:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mag...rkansas/essay/

and one of my buddies........we still eat out every Tuesday......was the all SWC Nose Guard on it...... In fact, he just got back from a reunion of the 1968 team, and I think there is an ESPN special on it, and the '69 players that were on it, coming up sometime.

You know, Richardson had a scholarship in 1969, but didn't play in that game because he was a Freshman. My bad.

Freshmen weren't eligible till the Marshall plane went down............best I remember.