Thread: Bucky

Bucky

Your old pal, Bobby Petrino is reported to be one of the three finalists for the Louisville job.

My only question is, are they nuts?

BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Um, clearly they just want a Petrino and a Petino on board. Makes for great copy, no?

No DOUBT why he took the BG job..........I don't really care, but I do wish he'd fail somewhere. He's too 'coarse' for me, probably make a good NFL coach, but doesn't need to be around 19 year olds at all.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Why are they nuts???....Petrino definitely has his personal faults....who doesn't???....but, he is a helluva coach and recruiter.

Sure, the Hogs had to fire him, but the Hogs wouldn't be in the sad shape they're in right now, if he was still there.

Everyone deserves a second chance....and, personally, I hope Louisville gives him that chance.

However, if he doesn't tow a tight line there, they can fire him, too....then, I'd say it's prolly forever over for him.

Here's what he did at WKU, this year:

"""The 52-year-old former coach of the Atlanta Falcons and University of Arkansas coached at Louisville from 2003-06, going 41-9 with a win in the 2006 Orange Bowl. In his first year with WKU, the Tops set a school record for wins (eight) in a Football Bowl Subdivision season, offensive yards with 5,502 and average attendance of 18,334.

Quarterback Brandon Doughty, a rising senior this season, set a program record with 2,737 passing yards and a completion percentage of 65.7. Graduated senior Antonio Andrews set school records for rushing yards in a single season (1,764) and led the nation on all-purpose yards (2,619)."""
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 01-08-2014 at 11:26 AM.
    Southern Gentleman

I'll take the shape we are in now, thankyouverymuch, just fine. Let's talk this time in 2015.

I don't care for him. He is a good offensive mind, and has zero clue about defense. He is like Houston Nutt.........he can get a lot out of you for a game or two, but simply can never win against top flight talent. Not what we need.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Well, there ya go, you got your wish....you're in the shape, you wanna be in.

And, comparing him to Nutt is like comparing him to Pee Wee Herman.
    Southern Gentleman

Why? They're both useless Used Cars Salesmen.

Things work out for the best. They have here. You'll see.

He's a scoundrel and has proven it many times over. People seem to forget that he did stuff while at Louisville the first time that should have gotten him fired but 'because he was winning' and 'because he was a great football coach' they kept his sorry ass. One season at Western Kentucky, and maybe that should be counted in dog years, doesn't make up for how he behaved at Atlanta and Arkansas, much less the first time at Louisville.

Its no skin off my nose, I just was surprised to hear Louisville would even consider him. And having hired a few people in my career I can can tell you unequivocally that past behavior doesn't just predict future behavior, it pretty much determines future behavior.

BKB

You are very wrong Phole....some people change....believe me, they do.
    Southern Gentleman

I imagine they do, Eddie, and I'm a pretty positive and optimistic person to a damn fault, as Bucky will tell you. But I'm pretty jaded about this one. I've been disappointed with people, in general, when setting expectations based on what they say they've changed about themselves. I hope you're right and I'm wrong. But my gut tells me I don't think so.

BKB

If all that matters is winning, then he's a viable candidate.

Whatever.....I'm off to eat a late breakfast with a good buddy....day'um, maybe I better not....he's a formerly convicted felon from 34 years ago.
    Southern Gentleman

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    [QUOTE=Big Muddy;29381]Why are they nuts???....Petrino definitely has his personal faults....who doesn't???....but, he is a helluva coach and recruiter.

Sure, the Hogs had to fire him, but the Hogs wouldn't be in the sad shape they're in right now, if he was still there.

A recruiter he is not. At least not at Arkansas. He gets the most out of his players but he is pretty much universally hated by everyone who has any dealings with him. Other than his coaching ability, he is a colossal penis
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

That's what she said!

BKB