Thread: Reel Resurection

Reel Resurection

I got this old Abu Garcia Cardinal 752 at a yard sale a loooooong time ago.
    Was going through a box of "stuff" the other day and found it, and thought I'd put it up on eBay.
    Well, it was encrusted with gunk and squalled when it was cranked, so I figured I'd clean it up a little.

After I cleaned it up, I got my pen oiler out, and in just a little while the old reel was working almost like new.

So now, I'm thinking I'll string it up and hang it on a rod and give it a workout this Spring.

image.jpg
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle. I'm looking for some reels a little older than that one, but I'm certain that is a great reel. It too has the rear drag that was developed on the original Cardinal 4 reel.
    Let me know of you find any of those. :-).
    Is that reel smooth? I know the cardinal 4's had a steel gear and worm indies that make them VERY smooth.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

After I cleaned and oiled it, it is very smooth. Which is why I decided to give it a run. The spool is labeled for 2, 4, and 6 # test. I have a brand new UL rod that needs a reel, so rather than buy a Shimano Spyrex 1000RD for that rod, I'm gonna string this reel up and see how it does.

Oh, when I opened it up I found that not only are the gears metal, but there are brass bushings as well.

Cancer Sucks!

Should be a great little reel. You gonna put some braided line on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Yessir. Planning to put some of that Power Pro line on it. Also prolly gonna tie on some Silver Thread AN40 4# or 6# leader. In fact, while I'm at it, thinking seriously about using the same AN40 for leaders on my Shimano Spyrex 2500 reels too.

If this reel works out as well as I am hoping it will, I'll have to bring it along next time I come up to visit.

I need to do some research to see if I can find out how old this reel is. We've been out here in The Boondocks since 2000, and I KNOW I picked it up several years before that and never got around to messing with it.

Cancer Sucks!