Thread: Hey Cappy ... I owe you for a grits, eggs and bacon breakfast.

Hey Cappy ... I owe you for a grits, eggs and bacon breakfast.

I've heard rumors of a fishing forum around this joint, but I'll be darned if I can find the place. Must be where the infamous "secret committee" hangs out or sumpin' and I don't have a hall pass.

Do you ever use a closed-face spin-cast reel for anything? I have an old Johnson Century (100B) reel that I would love to pass on to somebody who would appreciate it. It's not worth anything (monetarily speaking), but it has a bit of history (for me). When I was 10 years old, I mowed lawns around the neighborhood for a bit of "foldin' money" and I saved up enough cash to buy my grandfather a Christmas present. I'm about 99% sure this was in 1962 (I was 10 years old). If I remember correctly, my dad took me to Sears Roebuck to shop for a reel. The guy in the sporting goods department showed me a new Johnson model that had just been introduced that same year and I bought it. Two years later, my grandfather had a massive heart attack and died (I was in the 6th grade, 1964). Shortly after "Pop" passed away, my grandmother gave that reel back to me (she passed away in '77).

So, for the past 50 years, this reel has been sitting in the bottom of various drawers, old tackle boxes, wherever ... but I've never used it. When you mentioned the story about your friend, I thought about that old reel and dug it out of my garage this morning. It's suffered a few minor "dings" over the years, but is in pretty darn good condition considering it's age. Everything seems to work, but it's pretty "stiff" and actually feels like the old grease has dried out inside the case. I'd imagine it basically just needs a good cleaning and re-lube. My (only) son doesn't fish and has no use for it, so I'd like to see someone have it who might appreciate the story behind it ... and POSSIBLY actually use it at least long enough to catch a fish with it. Can you stand another old relic hangin' around your place?

I haven't taken the time to snap and download pics, but it's persactly like this one (only a little dirtier!):

johnsonreel1.JPG johnsonreel2.JPG johnsonreel3.JPG johnsonreel4.JPG

Neat looking reel. I've got about 6 closed face reels I keep for folks to use fishing around the SC farm ponds. They include a couple of Zebco 33's and a real old closed face ABU Garcia that belonged to my Dad when I was little. I use to bug the crap out of him to take me fishing and he finally bought that reel for him to use. I think I saw him use it once.
    I've cleaned, oiled and put new line on them all couple of years ago. I'd be honored to clean up and bring that reel of yours back to life. And of course I'll catch some fish with it cause I'm the worlds bestious fisherman.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    Only reel my grandfather would use. I couldn't afford one. I had to use a Bronson Dart. I might still have one around here somewhere but it would be a parts reel. That one is sure in nice shape. Well-played Thump.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Ha! Funny you should mention the Zebco 33, I have one of those also. Maybe I'll just box bofe 'em up for ya'. Expect a package early next week. 'Course, I use USPS, so who knows if they'll actually make it there!

that Century is the very first reel I casted with, even though it wasn't mine. My first cousin had saved up his money and bought s Johnson Century and a fiberglass rod. I was seven and he was 12 and we were both fishing with cane poles still when he bought that. We were fishing in a pond not too far from his house when his Mom called him to come do somethingorother and he left for a bit and told me not to touch his stuff. the temptation though was too great. My first cast made a big high arc and then did a quadruple wrap around a barb wire fence that stretched across one part of the pond. I just set it on the ground and acted like nothing had happened. I got a good pounding when he got back though. I was in love with fishing with a reel though. It was all over.
    You could cast one of those things a country mile.

BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    I grew up on a Zebco 33 myself and that darn thing lasted forever. Once I was grown, I ended up giving to my younger cousins when they were coming along. I bought one for my younger boy a couple of years ago and was sorely disappointed by what it had become. It was basically a plastic POC that didn't even last a season.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Ha! Just like a dang red-headed kid!

Cappy, I was right, I do have an old Zebco 33 here and will send it also. It must be worth about a bazillion dollars 'cause is says, "Limited Edition 1955-1980" on it. I don't even remember buying it, but it's evidently their 25th anniversary model. I'll get the Century and the 33 out in today's mail.

I saved my money up and bought a zebco 33 that actually had one ball bearing in it. that thing was smoother than silk. had to have been about 1966. I sure wish I had that real today or could even remember the edition of the 33 that was. It was a tank though.

BKB

Yeah CD, my first reel as a kid was a Zebco 33 and I remember it came with one of those heavy rubber thingies to tie on the line to practice casting. I think I finally wrapped that thing around the power lines while casting across the street from our front yard! I think most of the stuff is made in China nowadays. At least both of these still say, "Made in USA" on 'em.

Hidey-Ho ... mine isn't as clean as that one. It had very little use, but it's been banging around in an old tackle box for many years.

Cappy, these should be great for the kids fishing your ponds and not having to worry about fouled lines. The only stipulation is you first have to put your money where your mouth is and post a pic of a fish you cranked in with Pop's old Century.

Zebco 25th Anniversary Model 33 and first year of the 100B (1962) Johnson Century.

fishreels0109 002.JPG

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    Saw my granddad land a 16# channel cat with Johnson. Guys are right - that thing would cast a Weber Crappie Killer (anyone remember those?) a mile.

Brings back memories.. Give me a Mepps, a Shannon Twin-Spin, a Crappie Killer, a Flatfish and a Jitterbug.. I'll bet I could still catch a lot of fish. Throw in a Johnson Silver Minnow for weeds and I would be in Heaven.
    Last edited by HideHunter; 01-09-2014 at 11:22 AM.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Gotta include a yellow with black spots abu spinner in that tackle mix!

BKB

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    How did you survive without a Hawaiian Wiggler, the original buzz bait. or a Humpback Rebel and a River Runt. Or the all time leading fish catcher, a black and yellow H&H
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Humpback Rebel was always one of my all time favorites. Bill Norman also made one called a Quarterback Rebel that worked like a charm in the Fourche. But the Abu spinner and the old Lazy Ike (HH's Helin Flatfish is the same thing) were what I caught more fish on than anything.

I buried two of the three hooks in the treble of a spinner into my thigh once through a pair of Levis. Got hung on a briar and gave it a yank and that abu spinner came back like a 22 bullet. I tried to run the hooks back through but almost passed out doing it. Had to go to Mallard's Mom's house and have her cut a hole in my jeans and then run those hooks through and doctor on me. She also gave me some of Tom's (Mallard's Dad) Yellerstone whiskey to calm my nerves. Man that sure felt good when it quit hurting.

BKB