Thread: Jerky?

Jerky?

Youse guys got any good recipes for jerky using ground venison? I have a bunch of meat, even have a shooter but I've never tried it with ground meat.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Not bragging, but I make it simple, and folks brag on mine.

Simple ground venison, nothing added......use Eastman Outdoors Jerky Seasoning that I get at Walmart.....I like the original flavor best. I put it on the smoker..........and regulate the temps best I can, same as you have to do with any smoked meat.

And a Jerky Cannon. Not sure where I got it, but similar to this one:
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...h-All+Products

I have five jerky racks like this one, though mine didn't cost that much, and I've had them so long I forget where I got them:
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...h-All+Products

I have five because that's what fits stacked up, in my smoker.

Few hours of smoking at 225.........and I do occasionally have to remove the racks and reposition the meat.......the bottom rack tends to cook fastest (at least on my smoker).

That's what I know about that.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

I have the cannon and racks so I will check out WalMart for the seasoning. I looked at Cabelas in Charleston, WV and all they had were empty shelves.

You can get jerky seasoning online all day............I imagine any of it is good. I'm open if anyone knows any REALLY good ones..........but remember you need about half and half, seasoning and 'cure' (mostly salt).
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

I need to get my dehydrator out and get it going. Y'all are making me hongry for jerky.

BKB

I have a supposedly very nice dehydrator. I gave up on it. One, it takes about 36 hours of TENDED time to make a batch of jerky on it, and Two, I can make it faster and more tasty in my smoker by using the racks.

mmmmmm
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.