Thread: Whoa!!! I may have hit the mother-lode!

Whoa!!! I may have hit the mother-lode!

BUT ... the way my luck runs ... it's highly doubtful.

At that estate sale this weekend, I f'd up big time. I left here Friday morning and left my phone on the charger in my office. So, I was basically flying blind as I had no way to check prices on the internet.

While digging around, I found a pile of Kentucky Derby Mint Julep glasses for $0.50 each and there were 30 of them there. I ALMOST left them and figured I'd check back Saturday when they would be 1/2 price ... but "something" told me to gamble on them as they may not be there on Saturday, so I bought 'em for $15.00.

I started digging around on the net just a few minutes ago and some of those puppies are HIGHLY collectible! One sold for $16,750.00 !!!!! I honestly haven't even taken them out of the box to look at them yet and have absolutely no clue whatsoever what I bought. (I just threw 'em in a cardboard box at the sale, brought 'em home and haven't looked at 'em since). I think it's time I start digging and see what I have here.

What'cha wanna bet I ain't got nuttin' worth over 3 bucks?

I'd say the opposite...with your luck you have one worth $16,751.00!!!

My guess is the high priced ones, are the silver, or gold plated ones.

Maybe somebody famous drank outta yours.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    I had one from 1971 (Canenero II, I was there). I put it in the dishwasher, and it broke to pieces.

Note: Those glasses are HIGHLY thin glass!!!
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

These seem to have the Libbey glass trademark and seem to be about as thick as the average drinking glass.

From what I've seen on The Bay, I could have an easy $300 or more in glasses here.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    I hope so Thump. Couple years ago I was digging around in some junk and came up with a perfect "Seabiscuit" Cup - shaped like a horses head from, Delmar Thoroughbred Club.. Made in China - it's really cool. Unfortunately, it's really worthless too.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Well, mine was authentic. It actually had a nasty Mint Julep in it at one time~~~!!!!
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

They have never made a nasty Mint Julep.....

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Buckrub View Post
    Well, mine was authentic. It actually had a nasty Mint Julep in it at one time~~~!!!!
    These are authentic also and Libbey makes the Mint Julep glasses for the Derby. I have glasses from 1975 - 2002, plus there are some Preakness glasses mixed in as well as a couple of special editions ... a 1947 winner (Jet Pilot) as well as a Triple Crown (40th anniversary?) 1919-1959.