Thread: ABS. Querstun on Chebbies

ABS. Querstun on Chebbies

Okay, so let's not start the 'who's better' discussion here.

First off, I did a brake job myself on my truck, 2000 z71, about 30,000 miles or so ago. I don't think that is the issue, but wanted to mention it.

My truck's ABS kicks in when I'm stopping at a slow speed on dry pavement. It only happens when I have the wheel turned sharply, like when you're pulling tightly into a parking spot. And yes it will make you leave a spot on the seat. A quick pump of the pedal usually kicks it out. Doesn't do it every time but I guarantee you I'm puckered up every time. And its on smooth surfaces too. Chevy's ABS are all hinky on bumpy surfaces I think.

Has anyone else had this problem?i know there's other Chevy folks on here. Almost has to be something with the sensor but I have no idea where the sensor is or how to check it.

Signed,
    Bewildered

My 03 Chevy has started doing that too. Will only do it when you are barely moving, wheels straight or turned, doesn't matter. Check engine light is also on, I'm guess a faulty sensor somewhere. Mine has always had an issue when you are barking when headed down a steep hill. If you hit a bump, the brakes will release. You have to let off and push the pedal again quickly to stop. I've heard of other owner with the same issues.

It "could" be worn wheel bearings, but I'd guess a definite sensor problem. I'm unplugging my laptop right now to take it to Orlando with me, but do a net search. I'm pretty sure GM had a recall for that same problem. Something to do with corrosion on the sensors or sumpin' like that. Don't remember the year or model, but it's worth a look-see.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    I'm saying sensor. Since I haven't owned other trucks, I can't say how common this is, but on Chevy at least, there does seem to be more than a fair share of problems that are traced back to just a sensor. I had one last summer that drove everyone crazy......till my lazy butt crawled under the truck and found a wire loose that I'd pulled out at the farm, an O2 sensor. Plugged it up and fixed it (of course). But sensors would be my guess.

That said, brakes are somewhat important!! My tire guy does brakes, and I give him so much business he'd inspect my brakes free. You need to find someone to go check your work, or look at the brakes, that you trust. Not Midas or one of those.......JMHO.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I'm pretty sure GM had a recall for that same problem. Something to do with corrosion on the sensors or sumpin' like that. Don't remember the year or model, but it's worth a look-see.

Yep^....scanned copy of the bulletin:...>http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/PE...2442_tahoe.pdf

Thanks, Airbud!
    BKB

Told ya'!

If you changed the thread title to...2000 z71 abs/light problems, we could help a lot of young folks....google hits/hot searches(links) help a lot of people...

We need a fix it forum!....Whether it be a ford vs chevy, zebco vs shimano vs Diawa,...>evinrude,vs Johnson vs mercury...Oh yea> John deere vs Kubota...Helping people always works...

Common problem as Airbud said. Chebby will say they'll stand behind it but they won't.
    A man gets one great horse and one great dog in his life, a damn lucky man might get two.

Helping people always works... You guys are full of knowledge....It aint like youe hands got derty..

Now that's some true shit right there^....

Yea...>It aint like youe hands got derty///<<

Quote Originally Posted by airbud7 View Post
    We need a fix it forum!....Whether it be a ford vs chevy, zebco vs shimano vs Diawa,...>evinrude,vs Johnson vs mercury...Oh yea> John deere vs Kubota...Helping people always works...
    A fix-it forum?? Driving a Toyota and all, it'd be a real lonely place for me. I'm just sayin'.