Thread: You folks ever tried Beer Can Chicken?

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar

You folks ever tried Beer Can Chicken?

Beer Can Chicken

Yeppers Bud ... this subject comes up quite often with the skirt-wearin' grillin' types around this joint. I'm sure they'll chime in once they climb out of bed.

P.S. That video looks like an ad for MGD!

It's no a skirt, it's a kilt.
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

G'morning Mr. 9'er!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Oh yeah. I have about 5 of those contraptions.

Try it sometime with a can of Kroger Lemon Lime, not diet. Better'n beer.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

I have tried that twice and both times the chicken was terrible. Must be something I'm not doing correctly.

The beer can holder thingy? Really? I never knew anyone that said it was terrible. Are you holding your mouth right?
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

I don't know, BBCoach, if you ca't do a decent beer can chicken you might not be ready to graduate to an Egg. We might have to have the distinguished panel speak up on that.

BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    I know they are a novelty but I really don't think the birds cooked that way are anything special. Maybe it is because I'm not partial to beer. Might have to try a whiskey chicken.

I love Beer...But I do not like beer batter hush puppies or onion rings so I doubt I would like the chicken neither.

I'm telling all of youse. Try lemon lime in a can............great chicken!

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    I don't know, BBCoach, if you ca't do a decent beer can chicken you might not be ready to graduate to an Egg. We might have to have the distinguished panel speak up on that.

BKB
    Valid statement and should be considered by the board. Beer butt chicken is half a step above grilling a burger in execution. Rethink the egg man, rethink the egg.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

No desire to have an egg. I bought a Weber Smoky Mountain last year and I very pleased with the results.

Well, sorry about that, I gotyou mixed up with Cards.

BKB

When I tried the beer butt chicken, I did it on my Weber kettle. Maybe I wasn't controlling the heat correctly? Both time the birds came out tough. I've smoked several bird in my WSM and they are always great.

Could be. You'd have to really keep the coals on the edges so it is indirect heat. Seems like if you tried it on one side, you wouldn't be able to get the lid shut. but you could probably put it in the center and ring the edges with coals or put it on a pizza stone or something to protect it.

BKB

Better for me to do them on the WSM anyway. The way my kids put away chicken, I typically do 3 or 4 at a time. I can fit up to 8 medium whole birds but I like to split them, gives you more surface area for seasonings and cooks quicker.

Tough = A) too high heat, or B) cooking too long

IMHO

A question..........when you did beer can chicken, was there any liquid left in can when you finished? How much? When I do it, almost NO liquid escapes. I never do figure that out, but I guess it just doesn't technically transfer to the meat, it just makes the cooking area moist. My smoker is that way. It has a built in water reservoir above the heat source, and below the meat. If it drains out, the meat gets browner faster, and drier WAY faster. My suggestion is to get a big heat resistant pan full of water, and just set it on the grill out of the way while cooking.

My WSM has a large water pan and I think that it really serves two functions. First and probably most important is that it helps regulate the heat inside the smoker. Second is that it keeps the inside of the cooker moist. I've read some conflicting articles about the moisture. Some say that you get a better smoky taste without the extra moisture. I know a few people who put sand instead of water in the pan. Still helps to regulate the heat but without the moisture. I use water in the pan and I've always had very good results.

Never tried it, did try Beer Can a few times in my life!!!!!!!!!!!!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    I tried Bucky's Sprite suggestion on my last beer butt chicken and liked it. Lately, I've been trussing my birds (like a rotisserie) to get more consistent cooking and have really liked the results. I picked up a couple of whole fryers at 50% off over the weekend and I play on giving the "spatchcock" method a try. I think someone mentioned wanting more area for seasoning and smoke and this seems like a good way to try it. I'll have to see whether the extra effort is worth it.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

You kiss your momma with that mouth?

I need to learn that trussing deal myownself. Rottisseried a bird in the oven this weekend and it turned out great, but the legs and wings flop around every time it turns.

BKB

That's what she told me last night.

Barry, just effort it up on Youtube. There's one guy who demos it on a turkey using large purple twine so you can see it easily. It's really very simple.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    You kiss your momma with that mouth?

I need to learn that trussing deal myownself. Rottisseried a bird in the oven this weekend and it turned out great, but the legs and wings flop around every time it turns.

BKB
    Lol, Tie them up with cooking twine...Its called Trussing a chicken...

677.jpg

678.JPG

Set it and forget it!
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

I gots an electric rotisserie attachment for my Weber and it keeps all the mess outside where it belongs...

Set it and forget it:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey Posty! Notice the strings?? That's to keep the legs from floppin.

You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Dinner View Post
    I tried Bucky's Sprite suggestion on my last beer butt chicken and liked it. Lately, I've been trussing my birds (like a rotisserie) to get more consistent cooking and have really liked the results. I picked up a couple of whole fryers at 50% off over the weekend and I play on giving the "spatchcock" method a try. I think someone mentioned wanting more area for seasoning and smoke and this seems like a good way to try it. I'll have to see whether the extra effort is worth it.
    *sniff*
    I almost cried reading this.