Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sheeit is serious in Bama....

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    Ummm, ummm, ummmm. Gads!

I guess they just don't figure it is worth it to be prepared. Mayhap they're right. But great googley moogley this is easy enough to deal with if you have the right tools. Hells bells, this isn't even a serious snow!

Damned glad I wasn't caught in that mess. I have a kit in the back and could have rode the storm out no problem but I'd have been mad as a hornet over it. Having a 4 wheel drive with snow tires has its privileges but it can't fly you over 10,000 abandoned vehicles stacked ditch to divider wall.

Will

In my trucking days, I was hauling a load across I-40 and it was snowing like crazy. Not much was moving, but I was in a two truck "convoy" and in constant contact with the truck in front of me via CB radio. All of a sudden, just before we hit Flagstaff, AZ, he started yelling, "WHITE OUT!! WHITE OUT!!" and instantly "disappeared" from sight. I glanced to my right and noticed I was right next to an exit. Somehow I made that turn and got off the highway, but it was too late for my "partner" (I didn't know him, we were just talking on the radio) as he had already passed the exit. Luckily, there was a truck stop there and I pulled in. As it turned out, I was stuck there for 3 days! At the exit, you had to go downhill into the truck stop. Once it quit snowing, things got icy and every truck that tried to climb that hill ended up sliding backwards until they ended up in the ditch. What a mess ... I'd bet there were 10-12 trucks all jack-knifed on that hill. Nobody could get in OR out!

They started clearing the interstate first, then started clearing the exits (and towing all those trucks out of the ditch), BUT ... just a couple miles ahead, I was going to be headed North on a small State highway up to Salt Lake City and the reports I got were that the road was iced up for miles and would take a couple days before the plows and salt trucks could clear it. I finally delivered my load in SLC three days late.

It ain't the snow that's the problem. It's the ice that the snow turns into.

Southern states DOT departments just can't budget for a bunch of salt trucks that MIGHT get used once a year. They've got potholes to fix 300 (or so) days a year.
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

I'm not sure the State of Florida even OWNS a salt truck! (or a snow plow!)

If we get any iced up roads, they prolly throw beach sand on 'em.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    Hey Thumper, when you are in Clearwater please stop by Frenchy's Rockaway Grill and have some shrimp for me and then head south to the little Cuban place for a good sandwich and Sangria. Wish I was there with you.

Yeah Bwana ... Frenchy's is one of our old haunts. We go for the grouper sandwich mostly. BUT ... we go to the original joint ... just a little hole in the wall and not too fanacy compared to the other, more touristy locations he's opened over the years. This place is an old "locals" hang-out that's been there almost 35 years.

And here's the Rockaway where the tourists go! (can you see the difference?)

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    I am aware that the Rockaway is the touristy place but it is handy while walking the beach even if the original is only a couple of blocks off of it v

No prob Bwana ... A family in Florida that is here from NoDak is SUPPOSED to play tourist! That's what makes it fun. I'd have to assume the food is the same or comparable anyway. No clue as I've never been to his other places ... but a beach bar is the place to be when you're ... well ... at the beach!

When are you coming back down? Gonna be in the low to mid 80's here over the weekend.