Thread: You just KNOW...

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar

You just KNOW...

http://news.msn.com/us/maine-girls-p...-in-her-pocket

You just KNOW that some nerd boy figured out how to do this, and called her, right???????
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Of course, just from that article I have no idea, but I'll play Devil's advocate here. I see gals walking around ALL THE TIME with their phones in their BACK pants pockets. I always wonder how well those phones (with those super fragile screens) hold up under those circumstances? It seems to me any electrical device that thin would flex/break and possibly short out when wrapped around a butt that's sitting on it.

Again, no clue of the circumstances here ... but I'd be willing to bet a quarter she was sitting on the damn thing.

And WTF??? An EIGHTH grader with an iPhone 5C?? Sheeesh, what's wrong with a frigging $20 Trac Phone for a dang 8th grader? You KNOW it's gonna get lost or broken in a matter of months. Sure wish I could afford a 5c! They're $550-$650 w/o a contract. (am I becoming a curmudgeon?)

What is more amazing to me is hat it made the damned news.

BKB

My drawers caught on fire, once....on the back seat of a '64 Ford Galaxie....just ask Bobbie Jean....she was smoking a Virginia Slim at the time, and will vouch for me.
    Last edited by Big Muddy; 02-04-2014 at 09:46 AM.
    Southern Gentleman

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Of course, just from that article I have no idea, but I'll play Devil's advocate here. I see gals walking around ALL THE TIME with their phones in their BACK pants pockets. I always wonder how well those phones (with those super fragile screens) hold up under those circumstances? It seems to me any electrical device that thin would flex/break and possibly short out when wrapped around a butt that's sitting on it.

Again, no clue of the circumstances here ... but I'd be willing to bet a quarter she was sitting on the damn thing.

And WTF??? An EIGHTH grader with an iPhone 5C?? Sheeesh, what's wrong with a frigging $20 Trac Phone for a dang 8th grader? You KNOW it's gonna get lost or broken in a matter of months. Sure wish I could afford a 5c! They're $550-$650 w/o a contract. (am I becoming a curmudgeon?)
    You need to update your world view in how we use technology. iPhones are as common as pants. All kids have them. And yes, you are a curmudgeon
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Seriously, welcome to my world. Matt lost his (the one we gave him for Christmas two years ago) on his first day in Thailand. He's still saving up for the replacement...

Quote Originally Posted by LJ3 View Post
    You need to update your world view in how we use technology. iPhones are as common as pants. All kids have them. And yes, you are a curmudgeon
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    This is kind of a "hot" button with me. I guess since we are talking cell phones and fire "hot button" applies. I can't begin to count (and don't want to) how many of my welfare type students are running around with top of the line smart phones. Some of them live in conditions so bad the mice prefer to sleep outside. However the kids have cell phones worth more than the family vehicle they travel to school in. The best meal they get of the day is what they eat at school. Their clothes are worn out and tattered. They have serious personal hygiene issues, yet they have super high tech smart phones and all the goes with it. I just don't get it. Must be along the line of how most of people in this same situation also have giant TV's in their living room. Some things just never make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by LJ3 View Post
    Yep, but you can get ... say, an iPhone3 for $25-$30 these days. But noooo, it has to be the latest whiz-bang iPhone on the market that costs more than the car I drove in high school!

Sky, I know persactly what you're talking about. The housekeepers at the hotel Lynn works at all have their super high bucks phones ... yet they have to take the bus to and from work because they can't afford a car. I was talking to one of the house keepers at the company Christmas party and she had a brand new iPhone. That's not so bad, but the government GAVE her a phone because she's on every gov't program known to man ... she didn't need it, so she gave the gov't phone to her 12 year old daughter.

Thump, it will make a guy crazy if he thinks about it too much.

Its just the newest and latest thing. It wasn't that long ago that it irked me to see $40,000 bass boats parked in front of trailer houses that you could throw a cat through the walls here in Oklahoma.

BKB

Why you gotta kill a cat to make a point about welfare boats and phones?
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

AND... for the record. My kids EARN their phones. They break them, they replace them. It's happened more time then they'd care to think about

Len, you know any reason to kill a cat is a good reason. On a more serious note, you aren't the kind of parent I'm talking about. I get it, when kids buy their own phones. It's these people that don't have a pot to pee in that have the latest-greatest phone that I don't get. My wife and my two oldest boys have smart phones. My wife's is supplied by her company she works for and both my boys paid for their own. I don't own a an i/smart phone. I simply cannot justify the cost right now. I'm sure I will get one eventually, but not until I can afford it. The government sure won't be buying it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    Its just the newest and latest thing. It wasn't that long ago that it irked me to see $40,000 bass boats parked in front of trailer houses that you could throw a cat through the walls here in Oklahoma.

BKB

Yeah P-hole ... I remember years ago when I would go to Ohio to deer hunt and noticed something similar. My buddy lives in S.E. Ohio which is a pretty depressed area (generally speaking). It looks much like Kentucky coal country. A GOOD majority of the people in that area are on the public dole and the trailers most of them live in look like they should be condemned ... BUT, I don't remember ONE that didn't have a satellite dish in the yard. It's not really a major deal ... but it really stood out (in my mind) in those days.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Y'all are ALL Curmudgeons. I mean, why should the poor be denied the same phone you have? You paid for it? FINE!! Goody for you. Others are poorer than you. They have nothing, and it's the least we can do to try and make them equal with the rest and best of us.

To diss the poor for having a little bit of what you have it just cruel and mean, and very Republican.

And BTW, my wife carries her Note III (which really IS the Latest and Greatest) in her jeans back pocket all the time. It hasn't caught fire yet, but I will admit her britches are way hotter than they used to be.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Buckrub I detect the ever so slightest bit of sarcasm in your post.

My boys were told that they would get cheap phones when they started playing school sports and having practices and games and needed to contact us now and then. The oldest got one last year when he started JV baseball and it worked out well. Hasn't lost or broken it yet and we have a means to contact him when needed. The phone was bought for his mama's piece of mind, not so he would be one of the cool kids.

BaseballCoach, I have done the same for my two kids that are in high school. They both have cheap phones and sports was the main reason. They have limited phone use, unlimited text, but a block on all photos and pictures.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post

BKB
    I have 2 such boats...

RedneckBassBoat2.jpg

rnb.jpg