Thread: Pretty Interesting Real Life Historical Type Person

Pretty Interesting Real Life Historical Type Person

I've been reading up lately about a guy that lived in the early 1800s by the name of John Dunn Hunter. Hunter's claim was that he was taken prisoner by the Kickapoo indians in a raid in what is now Kansas when he was around two years old. He grew up in tribes belonging to the Kansas, Cherokee, and Osage indians and grew from prisoner to warrior to explorer. He claims to have traveled west to the Pacific Ocean and back with a band of Osages and to have been a part of the first trading expeditions up the Missouri Rover with Manuel Lisa as a scout. At age 19 he somehow learned English and then got an education. He then traveled East and was received by Thomas Jefferson and many other scientific men of that age. He got letters of introduction from those men and went to London where he was feted by British high society and even the King of England. In London, he wrote and published a book of his life as a captive called "Memoirs of a Captivity Among the Indians of North America", which is one of the books I have been reading, published 1824. He left England and traveled to Scotland where he again was received by society people and then returned to the United States where he got involved in talks with Mexico to create a Cherokee Nation in North Texas (then part of Mexico) and got involved in the Fredonian Rebellion in 1827. This was the first attempt to make Texas a free republic. The Cherokees found him guilty of treason and had him executed.
    His story is almost to far fetched to be true but he is mentioned by Manuel Lisa in his journals and many indian people in the Oklahoma-Missouri- Kansas area knew him or of him. It was one of the great debates of the day in europe and in america about his authenticity after he was dead. Either way, he is an interesting character in our history and his memoirs make for some pretty interesting reading. Especially his trip west, which would have occurred after Lewis and Clark's trek across the country. (1805?)

Almost all of the reading I've done on this guy is available for free on the good old innerwebs and was written many many years ago. Cool shit.

http://www.merrycoz.org/voices/hunter/HUNTER04.HTM

BKB

Now that is cool and my kind of reading. I bookmarked the site to the book. It will make for some good reading while I'm waiting on hogs to come in
    Thanks Posty....

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Now that is cool and my kind of reading. I bookmarked the site to the book. It will make for some good reading while I'm waiting on hogs to come in
    Thanks Posty....

Sounds like your old high school days lookin' for wimmins.

Captain, when you do read it I'd be interested to know whether you think he's telling the truth or not. Its pretty far fetched but at the same time, you wonder how he got the things right that he did.

BKB

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    Captain, when you do read it I'd be interested to know whether you think he's telling the truth or not. Its pretty far fetched but at the same time, you wonder how he got the things right that he did. BKB
    I read the first chapter this morning. It has not gotten into the livin' with Indians part yet just the description of the land and terrain. I'll let you know when I get into it some.
    Again thanks for passing it along.

A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!