Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So Georgia is about to get it again

So Georgia is about to get it again

Niner, you got everything in hand that you need there buddy? Maybe a little sasparilla for when it gets real cold too?

Be safe since Captain stole the stopper off your walking stick.

BKB

Yeah, they are alleging bad weather is on the horizon. Listening to the local radio, you'd think its gonna be icemageddon or some such. And it may well be for Atlanta and northward.

"They" are saying the ice line will probably be I-20. We are quite a way south of there, so I am hoping all we get is some chilly rainy weather. BUT just in case I got me a helper over here yesterday to help me split up a mess of firewood. Got a new wood stove put in last weekend to replace the worn out one. Got some stew in the crockpot, and a supply of "anti freeze" laid in. I'm figgering if I'm prepared for it we'll get missed for sure.
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

Murphy's Law is usually the rule of the day with those deals.

BKB

Do, do, do, looking out my back door...
    Been snowing steady since yesterday afternoon. Suppose to keep falling till sometime Thursday.
    I hate this crap!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Daughter and son in law came this past weekend for "Christmas". They were going to leave Monday but left Sunday to miss the "BIG ONE" that was predicted here.

NOT ONE flake hit! Nada.

They get home Monday night, well after midnight.......and now are in the midst of it THERE.

Some folks can't win. Me too Cappy. I'm sick of this cold. I didn't sign up to live in Michigan. If I wanted to, I could. But I didn't. Danged Global Warming.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Well....just got an "ice storm warning" on my phone. Turned on the local news and they are predicting about 1.5" of ICE for my area.

Maybe the weather guessers aren't kidding this time.

Cancer Sucks!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Trav's Avatar
    I may get stuck here in Atlanta, at least I am at a good hotel and on the company Dime.
    “ No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave”

James Burg, An Enquiry into, Public Errors, Defects and Abuses 1775

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar
    Damn Cappy, that's about the most perfectly snow there is for deer hunting, just came a little late that's all.
    Sure hope you get rid of all that crap, we leave a week from tomorrow and I don't want to drive through that stuff. I want to see flowers, dogwood and redbud, I want to hear birds sing, I want to wake up in the AM and put on shorts and a t-shirt, I want to drive with the windows down, I want to sleep with the windows open, I want to walk on the beach and put my feet into water, I want to eat outside with soft ocean breezes blowing, I want to see ladies showing some skin, I want, I want, I want.
    See what you can do.
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

Quote Originally Posted by jb View Post
    Damn Cappy, that's about the most perfectly snow there is for deer hunting, just came a little late that's all. Sure hope you get rid of all that crap, we leave a week from tomorrow and I don't want to drive through that stuff. I want to see flowers, dogwood and redbud, I want to hear birds sing, I want to wake up in the AM and put on shorts and a t-shirt, I want to drive with the windows down, I want to sleep with the windows open, I want to walk on the beach and put my feet into water, I want to eat outside with soft ocean breezes blowing, I want to see ladies showing some skin, I want, I want, I want. See what you can do.
    If it's up to me you will be able to do all that and more. I'm tired of this cold, wet, white stuff!

A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

I am askeered that Bubba and Bride are gonna be in for a rude awakenin'..............
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Well.....so far, so good.
    Got up this morning, put another log on the fire, flipped on the back porch light and looked outside. Just seeing rain, and no ice FOR NOW.

My thermometer says 29°, and the Weather Channel is saying it is 32°......so I'll hold onto my hat and see how the day goes.

From looking at TWC map, it LOOKS like we MIGHT dodge the bullet in our part of GA. THANK YOU, JESUS!!!

AND WHEN did we start naming "winter storms". Winter Storm PAX???? WTF, over. I obviously don't watch enough TV. Gonna have to turn in my Couch Potato card, I guess.

Cancer Sucks!

Update.....the earlier report was from about 6am when I checked.
    Just now, I put another log on and had another peek. I can see that the deck has "glazed over", and a few ice cycles are starting to form.

Keeping my fingers crossed. Can ya guess what happens to your well water when the power goes out?
    Ya ain't got no water!o

Cancer Sucks!

Well, while youse dufes are out chipping ice ... I think I'll take a nap.

I keep hoping it'll miss ya, Niner. People who haven't been through a major ice storm don't understand AT ALL how serious it gets in a big hurry. Its as catastrophic as any tornado and probably more. It just doesn't happen all in a rush like a tornado does.
    Hoping it misses you.

BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    I know some of us northern folk give you guys crap when you get a bit of snow, but I wouldn't wish ice storms on anybody as those things can cause MAJOR damage no matter where you live. Best of luck to all who are dealing with this storm.

Looks like Ed is getting it, although there's a band of 'nothing' between Greenville and Memphis, so not sure. Niner is on the edge. My daughter and grandson, and Cappy, are getting it in spades. NOVA contingent not there yet, it appears. It's cold here, but it's all east of me!

We're sposed to get about a foot or so of the white stuff here... more for me since I'm a NW burb. I'm over it. I need to fish.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Trav's Avatar
    I can tell you ATL is getting hammered right now, I am at a hotel downtown. So far my flight out tmrw hasn't been canceled but a bunch of folks who are flying north or east have had their flights canceled. My hotel is right next door to the Marta station so hopefully I can just catch the Marta to the airport.
    “ No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave”

James Burg, An Enquiry into, Public Errors, Defects and Abuses 1775

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    I'll believe we're going to get a foot when I'm doing donuts in it with my ATV out in front of my house...

Quote Originally Posted by LJ3 View Post
    We're sposed to get about a foot or so of the white stuff here... more for me since I'm a NW burb. I'm over it. I need to fish.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

They could hold the Winter Olympics in my yard right now. This crap is a hell of a storm...

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Dinner View Post
    I'll believe we're going to get a foot when I'm doing donuts in it with my ATV out in front of my house...
    You're a city boy. The heat from all the shit in DC warms the Arlington atmosphere
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

It's 81 and sunny here today, but that cold front that is hammering youse dufes is supposed to hit here tomorrow. Gonna have rain ahead of it tonight, then a high in the low 60's tomorrow. That's it ... starting Friday they'll go back up to the 70's by Sunday, then 81 again next Wednesday. You buttheads keep that crap up there where it belongs.

On a serious note, I hope those ice storms don't get too nasty. I drove through a bunch of that stuff in my trucking days ... what a mess!

Trav, you better order room service. For a week.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/dee...r-south-n28156

Niner, how are you escaping this???????

We've got a bit of ice on the trees and such, but so far nothing like they are showing on the news that Atlanta and Augusta are getting.

The "second wave" as they are calling it is hitting us now. It's a "wintry mix" of rain/sleet/snow. My deck has turned white, and my skylights are almost covered up in the last hour.

I still think (hope) we are on the fringe of it.

Cancer Sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Dinner View Post
    I stand corrected. We've got about a foot out there now with another 3" or so expected before it's all over. Gonna get the wheelie out once the boys are up and about. Looks like it's gonna be an unscheduled 5 day weekend in these parts.

It snowed (I guess) all night here. Most of the evening last night it was just teeeenie flakes, but before we went to bed they were a good bit bigger.....and still snowing this morning. So far I have about , I guess, 3/4 to 1 inch of "stuff" out on my deck.

Still nowhere near what they are showing on the TV for Atlanta.

Cancer Sucks!

Still freaking pouring snow here. I HATE it even more than I did yesterday.....

Attached Images Attached Images

We got about 20" here overnight. Calling for another round of 2-4" or so... I be working remotely today. My company doesn't close for ANYTHING.... which is bullshit.

Be careful out there, Larke. Days like today make me thankful I drive a desk.