Thread: Firefox timing issue (LEN? EGG? FOO?)

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar

Firefox timing issue (LEN? EGG? FOO?)

This is NOT for Posthole. I'm NOT going to reload Windows.
    This is NOT for Thump. I'm not going to ....... well, who knows what he'd suggest.

This is a legitimate question.

I use Firefox. I hate Microsoft IEx as a browser. Even though Microsoft drives me nuts every time go to MSN.COM, by asking me "do you REALLY want to keep Firefox?".........geez. GIVE IT UP.

Anyway........I am about to decide this is somehow a timing issue. I have, for example, four open windows, each in its own tab at the top, each on a different URL. Most of the time, I can click one of them, or any other of my favorites that I have named in folders under the URL bar, and it goes there fine, bam.

But about every fifth time (I'm guessing?) of trying to go to a new/different website/URL, if I click on it, OR if I try to simply refresh the page, I get an instant "Page Cannot Be Displayed". I can try "Try Again" over and over, still nothing. But it's INSTANT. Bam. If I finally go to a new URL, over and over, it finally gives up and starts working by going to the URL I click on. THEN I can go to the URL I first started on, and it works.

Makes no sense.

Niner suggested, and I tried this, to restart, or reload, or re-something Firefox. I did that, and the only thing that happened was that I had to reload all my favorites!!! The above error kept happening.

This has gone on through about the last 4 upgrades to the then new version of Firefox. I'm on 26.0 now.

It's almost like the computer is faster than the internet or vice versa, or something. It acts the same as it would if I was not connected to the internet, but only for a while.

Any ideas????

HA! While I'm typing this, I get a popup that says "Firefox 27.0 available". So.........I'll try that, but I bet it doesn't fix this.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Another wild idea..................or possibility.

I wonder if it has to do with my download of "Disconnect.ME"..........which stops/blocks all those annoying ads.......... somehow.

??

OH, also..............many times when I first go to a website, I get the............um..........."non-GUI" version of it. Just a list. Same words, but no pix, and no graphics. I reload about five times, and then I get it normally.
    Last edited by Buckrub; 02-11-2014 at 08:07 PM.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Get rid of that winders' crap and buy a Mac.
    You have no CLUE how simple and dependable they are. No glitches and no viruses.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

No money to do that. This one works, for now.

P.S.
    My daughter, who is smarter'n most geniusii, was forced to start using Mac for her teaching. She listed 15 minutes worth of things it won't do right, compared to a PC. I personally have no idea. But she was down on 'em. Even down to things like the backspace and space key, if the cursor is in the middle of a sentence trying to edit, doesn't work same. She said Mac's only go one way, PC's go both ways.

Beats me. But I can't buy a new one because this one has some minor issue. Maybe it's me, for all I know. Trying to find out from 'spurts.
    Last edited by Buckrub; 02-11-2014 at 08:18 PM.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar
    I had trouble with most of those programs, loaded Google Chrome and got rid of about 99% of my troubles.
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

I think its your innerwebs bandwidth and its happening when you max it out.

But that's just me. I don't know nuthin bout no telecoms.

BKB

Hmmm.

Seems to me, it happens almost too fast to be anything internet related. Seems software, as if it thinks it timed out WAY before it should.

But I don't know NUTHIN' about telecom anymore, or anything much at all.

Same as Bubba ... I had a few issues ... nothing major, but they'd pop up from time to time. It finally came to a head when I updated Google and all of a sudden I could no longer print postage on the internet. I'd PURCHASE the postage and it would be charged against my PayPal account, but the printer would just spit out a blank page. Then I had to jump through all the hoops to get reimbursed, etc. ... PLUS I had to physically go to the Post Office to ship packages (at a higher rate).

I contacted the eBay techs and after some fiddling around, they asked me to switch to Google Chrome. It worked like a charm and the other "more minor" issues on other websites disappeared also.

I'd think since its happening instantly that it isn't timing out. So its returning that its unavailable immediately. I guess it could be coming from your router. How many devices are you up to in your house typically? They add up fast.

BKB

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    I'd think since its happening instantly that it isn't timing out. So its returning that its unavailable immediately. I guess it could be coming from your router. How many devices are you up to in your house typically? They add up fast.

BKB
    Well let me hog in on this post....

I'm having some of the same issues that Bucky is having.

We have prolly 8-10 different devices connected at my house. Occasionally we have to disconnect one device from Wifi just to connect another.

My question is - what would that have to do with it? I mean, I know bandwith and all, but if 7 things are connected, but not using bandwidth (just sitting on the table in sleep mode) why would we not be able to connect another device?

You're only able to use as much bandwidth as the smallest choke point in your network. One place can be your router, but it doesn't have to be but in a lot of cases it is. Just look at your specs for it and see if maybeyou need to upgrade.

Or reboot it and the modem which clears a lot of that crap too.

BKB

Well, Posty.........actually a cable modem and DSL both work slightly differently. And 99% of the time, I'm the only one using any bandwidth this side of the router. But I will check upgrade possibilities. I do think you may be onto something. Let me deal with it tomorrow. Thanks.

I don't know if it means anything or not, but I had the same issues with the "Page Cannot Be Displayed" thing. I kept thinking I'd lost my internet connection. It would even happen with this (GoodHunting) site quite often. I'm on DSL and am using the ONLY device on my router if that means anything. I have no clue if Google Chrome was the magic bullet or if it's just a coinky-dink all my problems disappeared once I switched over. This stuff is all Greek to me.

May be, Rabbitman. I have suspected Firefox all along. But I can't bring myself to 'prove' it by using IE9! Ha. Maybe I'll try another browser and see.

Update:

It just happened again. The message actually says "SERVER NOT FOUND".

Ok, to fix this problem we are gonna need a chicken, a hammer, and a paper sack........
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

Don't forget the suit of armor.

BKB

And whipped cream, frozen asparagus, and a blindfold.

Wait, that's Valentine's Day stuff. I'm getting mixed up.

So........where is FOO and Egg and Len?

Egg Foo Len sounds like some kind of rotten baby duck somethingorother that Thumper would love to eat.

BKB

Now that was funny.