Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snowtastrophe!!!

If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    My compliments in getting those great exposures in the snow. Now don't you dufes go twisting my words. Truth is getting correct light exposures in the snow is a bugger. Well it is for me anydangway, apparently not so much for Len.

What kind of pup is that? Akita?

BKB

Shiba Inu - derivative of Akitas.

BS, it IS a pain in the ass if you don't shoot in Manual mode. The processor wants to turn every white pixel to friggin gray. This time around I shot in shutter priority and cranked the exposure compensation up. Kinda lazy way but I didn't feel like messing with manual mode and ISO and all that stuff in the snow.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

How come ain't nobody trimmed them Crape Myrtles back yet? It's winter time dufus....

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Do you cut yours back? We just trim the suckers on ours.

Those things get cussed when I have to clean up after them in the summer in my pool. I sure do like them though.

BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Trimming them back us old school and generally nit recommended any more. They are one of my absolute favorites as they bloom when everything else us getting burned up or just looks kind if tired.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

You suppose to cut them back every year unless you want a tree myrtle.

A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

That's prolly it bacause mine are prolly 25 ft tall and have a dozen or so big stalks each. They make excellent shade in certain situations. Like big reddish pink clouds in the summer.

BKB

You need to cut them things to a least 10 foot max... 8 would be even better.do it while the sap is down

I swear this is the most ADHD site on the web...from fantastic snow photos to Crape Myrtle in less time than it likely took Len to post the photos. Anyway Len, thanks for the advice and I'm going to experiment a little with shutter priority on my camera and see if I can have success with the snow pics.

Good info on crepe myrtle trimming (or non trimming) from a Master Gardener......

http://www.walterreeves.com/landscap...yrtle-pruning/
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

Quote Originally Posted by Big Skyz View Post
    I swear this is the most ADHD site on the web...from fantastic snow photos to Crape Myrtle in less time than it likely took Len to post the photos. Anyway Len, thanks for the advice and I'm going to experiment a little with shutter priority on my camera and see if I can have success with the snow pics.
    Find out how to control your "exposure compensation". That will yield the quickest results if you're in M,S,P or A mode. Just always remember to set it back after you're finished

That last sentence wouldn't make me smile if I weren't so guilty of forgetting to do that now and then.

I've cost myself MANY hours of unnecessary processing and editing because I forgot. I shot practically an ENTIRE wedding underexposed 2 stops. My "safety" now is to always have the histogram in the image preview so I can make sure the exposure is spread end to end to the extent possible. That always prompts my brain to check exposure comp

Len, I got to thank you. I run a small skull cleaning business and photographing bright white skulls is a major pain in the butt. It's just like trying to photograph snow. Anyway, after reading your post I figured out how to set my exposure compensation on my camera and experimented by taking some skull photos. WOW, did that ever solve the problem. I am one happy little camper right now. Next week I will set up a number of deer and antelope skulls to photograph and add to my skull cleaning webpage. http://www.bestskullcleaning.com/ You'd think after all these years I would have figured out or remembered this stuff, but obviously I haven't. I'm heading out ice fishing over the weekend and I hope to have a number of opportunities to experiment with photographing out on the lake in snow/ice with hopefully a pile of fish. Thanks again Len!

Is there any way I can compensate and tone down the bright green color of the grass for my winter shots here?

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Move.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

No Thump, but I have something rosey red that I'll "end" up exposing if you don't quit it.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Skyz View Post
    Len, I got to thank you. I run a small skull cleaning business and photographing bright white skulls is a major pain in the butt. It's just like trying to photograph snow. Anyway, after reading your post I figured out how to set my exposure compensation on my camera and experimented by taking some skull photos. WOW, did that ever solve the problem. I am one happy little camper right now. Next week I will set up a number of deer and antelope skulls to photograph and add to my skull cleaning webpage. http://www.bestskullcleaning.com/ You'd think after all these years I would have figured out or remembered this stuff, but obviously I haven't. I'm heading out ice fishing over the weekend and I hope to have a number of opportunities to experiment with photographing out on the lake in snow/ice with hopefully a pile of fish. Thanks again Len!
    You're quite welcome! Something I've made a habit of is to go thru the big manual that came with each camera body at least once every 3 months. Without fail, I always understand something better, find an easier way to accomplish something, or solve for something I couldn't' solve before. I HIGHLY recommend it! The cool thing is you can do it just about anywhere as long as you have your manual with you.

Something I've made a habit of is to go thru the big manual that came with each camera body at least once every 3 months.
    Thank you ... you just reminded me of why I stick with "point & shoot"!

Me too.

I didn't get a single word of that entire conversation.

My phone is now a better camera than I've ever had.

The End.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Oh crap! What's next? Isn't that the SECOND thing we've agreed on today?

If you take pictures in the snow. It will be gray. One of the downsides of the digital age.

In the past there were kodak instamatic people with film cartridges, and there were Minolta/Pentax 35mm people. You maroons are in the first group of people. This is just a modern version of the same thing.

Other than my house, what about this looks 'gray' to you, you whippersnapper, you????

Quote Originally Posted by LJ3 View Post
    If you take pictures in the snow. It will be gray. One of the downsides of the digital age.

In the past there were kodak instamatic people with film cartridges, and there were Minolta/Pentax 35mm people. You maroons are in the first group of people. This is just a modern version of the same thing.
    Bucky was a Brownie person in those days.

BKB

That film was called 600 film. IT spit out the bottom. Deer camp picture board is full of such. Great pics. And instant. Now I have an SD Card Picture Printer.....thanks to Arty.

So does that mean the sand in my beach shots will come out "gray"?

No, but the sand in Bucky's vagina will probably.

BKB

Now see? That's just cold.

In fact, ALL SAND IS COLD HERE.

Man, I need to fish. I need warmth. I need love. I need to ....... um...........

never mind.