Thread: Oh man! I'm jonesing .... BAD!!

Oh man! I'm jonesing .... BAD!!

When Lynn and I spent the weekend in Tampa a couple weeks ago for my birthday, we decided to drive up to Tarpon Springs (Greek sponge docks) for dinner one night.

There are two things I can't resist when eating there ... one is the fried kasseri cheese. I'm tellin' you, it's to die for. Lynn sometimes makes it at home for me, but it stinks the house up for DAYS ... so it's a rare treat. Add a bit of lemon and some Greek bread and it's ... what does Bucky say? Larrupin?

Anyway, what I'm jonesing for right now is the octopus. Man-o-man, my mouth is watering just thinking about it. Here's the meal I ordered the other night. I didn't think to snap a pic until I'd already devoured half of it ... but you can get the gist of it.

greekmeal1.jpg

But this is what I was REALLY there for. Their octopus is killer! Dang! I think there may be a little drive in store for us this weekend. This was all that was left when I decided to snap a pic before I finished it off.

greekmeal2.jpg

I went to a Vietnamese restaurant in Tulsa today for lunch and thought about you as I was stuffing my face.

It was larrupin!

BKB

I prolly have Vietnamese on average once per week. I gots to have my Pho fix.

These are pretty good, too.

image.jpg
    Southern Gentleman

I've never tried octopus. Recon I don't frequent enough high brow places, as I've never even seen it on a menu.
    I did see some Alaskan rednecks on the TV once, trying to catch some of them at low tide.

Fried cheese? Sounds interesting.
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

I first had fried kasseri about 20-25 years ago (Lynn made it for me) and I instantly fell in love with it! It smells a bit "strong" when you fry it and I was kinda wondering if I'd like it, but the stuff is KILLER and I've craved it ever since. (Eat it hot with fresh lemon juice sprinkled over it and hot pita) I can make a frigging meal of it.

Actually, you may see it listed one of two ways in a restaurant. The cheese itself is called "kasseri" (usually pronounced "ka-se'-tee" ... some super markets carry it) but the dish on a menu is actually called "Saganaki" (pronounced sah-ghah-NAH-kee). You may see it listed either way depending on where you are. Try it, there's nothing not to like. ANY Greek restaurant will have it.

The octopus is a major treat ... but like calamari, it has to be cooked correctly or it'll be tough. I simply cut the order pictured above with a fork!

Later dude ... headed out for a couple'a estate sales!

I'm not sure what that is Edward. (???)

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Silly man.

That's Possum Gonads with Linguine.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Oh, why didn't he say so? I had that last Thursday!