Thread: Day'um, I forgot what today is....!!!!

Day'um, I forgot what today is....!!!!

Today is Valentine's Day, and my azz is grass !!!!....wifey left a nice card and a box of chocolates for me, sitting on the kitchen counter, when she left for work.

This sheeit is gonna cost me big time !!!....only thing to do now, and make up for it, is to go all out, and make reservations for tonite at KFC.
    Southern Gentleman

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    Be sure to order the extra-crispy and everything will be just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
    Be sure to order the extra-crispy and everything will be just fine.
    Dang Yankees! What do youse guys know about KFC? The original is the ONLY way to go!

I won't eat that shit. Store bought fried chicken ain't safe. But if you gotta, you can't beat Popeye's.

BKB

Nuttin' wrong with Popeye's. Shoot, we hardly ever fry chicken these days. For all the grease in the air coating everything in the house and with every super market and fast food place serving decent fried chicken, it just ain't hardly worth the effort anymore.

Some of the best fried chicken I've found is at Golden Coral.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Can't afford either.

Yesterday, driving home from somewhere......went by KFC.......sign said "9 piece, $19.99"........and 1/2 block later, Popeyes said "10 Piece, $9.99".

KFC has gotten too expensive to eat, but original is the only way I'll eat it. Church's is a good alternative, but nobody makes chicken like Kroger Deli.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

To be honest with you Buckster ... I agree on the price of KFC. Believe it or not, the last KFC I had was probably at Lesser Slave Lake. Same here with the super market delis, they now have some of the best fried chicken around ... AND for a reasonable price!

OK stop.

This is getting weird.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

I'm kinda gettin' weirded out myself!

Your avatar sucks.

You eat weird.

And you're so ugly you'd have to sneak up on a glass of water to get a drink. And you agree with Posthole too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckrub View Post
    Your avatar sucks.

You eat weird.

And you're so ugly you'd have to sneak up on a glass of water to get a drink. And you agree with Posthole too much.
    You know sumpin'? I totally agree with you!

I used to love to hit Golden Corral for lunch once in a while. But have you looked at the size of the chicken parts they serve? They're like half sized. They may even be pigeons or something, they're so small. I gross myself out sometimes wondering what type of fried fowl Golden Corral is passing off as chicken.

Its good though!

BKB

My gosh.

I can't eat at Golden Corral. Little kids knock me down. Food all over the floor. Last time, I saw a kid stick his entire head under the ice cream spigot. There is NEVER any chicken, the big fat lady stands there waiting and gets it all. It's the grossest place I ever ate. We got one in our town. I have tried twice. Second time I thought "OK, SURELY it's better now"........and it is beyond awful.

Yeah, there are things there that I can eat. They had a good salad. But when I look at the workers, and the floor, and the overall place...............man, UGH!!!

Guess they vary by location. Lynn is SUPER picky about stuff like that and she even likes it. It sounds like our GC may be exceptional. As for the chicken ... dang! Every time we go I always remark to Lynn about how HUGE the chicken pieces are. They look more like small turkeys. Man ... sounds like location is key. (or it may be all management)

Oh, and I also get a free dinner on Veteran's Day!

Ours went out of business here in my town. the help there were pretty much ex-cons I can almost guarantee you that. When it closed a bunch of them went to Church's. then it folded and Popeye's went in where it was. that place has clean and nice black folks who work in it, which we don't have many people of color in my town. I dunno why not. Lots of injuns, do they count? Anyway, Popeye's is a step up from both of those.

I had an aunt in Texas that taught me to eat fried chicken and jalapenos together. Best combination on the planet. That woman could do things to a bucket of KFC that'd make Jim stand back in awe.

BKB

I say Japs and you call me names that would scald a navy vet.

You say Injuns and I laugh.

Am I better than you? Or worse?

AND>>>>>>>>>>>>>>What's up with the STL Cardinal pitcher who is from California that eats waffles and fried chicken? Several folks tell me it's good. I never heard of it till an interview with him last year. Sounds atrocious.

Most native folks I know aren't too picky about what you call 'em as long you call 'em for dinner. I suppose they draw the line at Redskins though. Some of them are proud of their heritage and proud to be called indian. Most just act like everyone else and in fact ARE everyone else here in Oklahoma now that I think of it. They kind of all got dumped here, like Uncle Sam sold them all the same swampland or something.

Anyways. HOW! (about some fried yardbird!)

BKB

They got dumped there.

You went by choice. You left Heaven to go there.

and you wonder WHY I think you are nuts.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    "Love that chicken from Popeye's!" Only problem is there's none convenient to home or work. When we buy it, it's usually the Colonel as there's one up the street. I prefer original, but the Mrs. prefers extra crispy. So, you can figure out what we usually get.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Quote Originally Posted by Buckrub View Post
    What's up with the STL Cardinal pitcher who is from California that eats waffles and fried chicken? Several folks tell me it's good. I never heard of it till an interview with him last year. Sounds atrocious.
    I had chicken and waffles for my birthday brunch at House of Blues a couple weekends ago. GOOD stuff!

There's always been some argument about where the combo originated ... some say the South ... some say Yankeeville. Wherever I've had it, it was considered "Soul Food".

Here's what Wiki says about it ... I guess they don't know either!

Fried Chicken and Waffles

The exact origins of this dish are unknown, although several theories about its origin exist. One such theory is that waffles entered American cuisine in the 1790s after Thomas Jefferson’s purchase of a waffle iron from France. Recipes for waffles and chicken soon appeared in cookbooks. Because African Americans in the South rarely had the opportunity to eat chicken and were more familiar with flapjacks or pancakes than with waffles, they considered the dish a delicacy. For decades, it remained “a special-occasion meal in African American families.”

Other historians place the origin later, after the post-Civil War migration of African Americans to the North. Fried chicken was a common breakfast meat, and serving “a breakfast bread with whatever meat [was available] comes out of the rural tradition.” The combination of chicken and waffles does not appear in early Southern cookbooks such as Mrs. Porter’s Southern Cookery Book, published in 1871 or in What Mrs. Fisher Knows About Old Southern Cooking, published in 1881 by former slave Abby Fisher. Fisher’s cookbook is generally considered the first cookbook written by an African American. The lack of a recipe for the combination of chicken and waffles in Southern cookbooks from the era may suggest a later origin for the dish.

The dish was served as early as the 1930s in such Harlem locations as Tillie's Chicken Shack, Dickie Wells jazz nightclub, and Wells Supper Club.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Dinner View Post
    "Love that chicken from Popeye's!" Only problem is there's none convenient to home or work. When we buy it, it's usually the Colonel as there's one up the street. I prefer original, but the Mrs. prefers extra crispy. So, you can figure out what we usually get.
    Same here CD ... as for KFC, I like the original, Lynn likes the crispy. It's just too dang pricey as far as I'm concerned. We have both Church's and Popeye's all over the place here (plus 2 KFC's) and even some others chains. We usually get Popeyes or the supermarket chicken though.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    One of the many things I love about my wife is that for something like five years in a row she has been out of town for Valentine's Day. We figured out long ago that it was amateur day. We still get each other cards, but leave the rest to others. Maybe it's just that her boy friend get stuck with it. If so, good on him.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke