Thread: Day'um, I forgot what today is....!!!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    I say Japs and you call me names that would scald a navy vet.

You say Injuns and I laugh.

Am I better than you? Or worse?

AND>>>>>>>>>>>>>>What's up with the STL Cardinal pitcher who is from California that eats waffles and fried chicken? Several folks tell me it's good. I never heard of it till an interview with him last year. Sounds atrocious.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckrub View Post
    What's up with the STL Cardinal pitcher who is from California that eats waffles and fried chicken? Several folks tell me it's good. I never heard of it till an interview with him last year. Sounds atrocious.
    I had chicken and waffles for my birthday brunch at House of Blues a couple weekends ago. GOOD stuff!

There's always been some argument about where the combo originated ... some say the South ... some say Yankeeville. Wherever I've had it, it was considered "Soul Food".

Here's what Wiki says about it ... I guess they don't know either!

Fried Chicken and Waffles

The exact origins of this dish are unknown, although several theories about its origin exist. One such theory is that waffles entered American cuisine in the 1790s after Thomas Jefferson’s purchase of a waffle iron from France. Recipes for waffles and chicken soon appeared in cookbooks. Because African Americans in the South rarely had the opportunity to eat chicken and were more familiar with flapjacks or pancakes than with waffles, they considered the dish a delicacy. For decades, it remained “a special-occasion meal in African American families.”

Other historians place the origin later, after the post-Civil War migration of African Americans to the North. Fried chicken was a common breakfast meat, and serving “a breakfast bread with whatever meat [was available] comes out of the rural tradition.” The combination of chicken and waffles does not appear in early Southern cookbooks such as Mrs. Porter’s Southern Cookery Book, published in 1871 or in What Mrs. Fisher Knows About Old Southern Cooking, published in 1881 by former slave Abby Fisher. Fisher’s cookbook is generally considered the first cookbook written by an African American. The lack of a recipe for the combination of chicken and waffles in Southern cookbooks from the era may suggest a later origin for the dish.

The dish was served as early as the 1930s in such Harlem locations as Tillie's Chicken Shack, Dickie Wells jazz nightclub, and Wells Supper Club.