Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which is better

Senior Member (too much time on their hands)
    Last edited by Sunshine; 08-01-2015 at 10:59 PM.

I *think* as far as viruses (virie?) are concerned the Apple might be the better choice. I believe Cap'n is the only Apple user on here....but I cold be sadly mistaken. From what I hear, hackers don't target the apple market as much because there are fewer of them. Apple also runs proprietary software, so I believe none of your current software (MS Office for example) would work. There again Cap'n could speak to that.

I bought a new DELL last year with Windows 8 loaded. It is VERY different from Windows XP. My old XP computer was over 10 years old, so the new one is WAY faster. The old XP box now lives down in my ham shack for use with my radio stuff.

I do not know what Ubuntu is. Is that an Internet browser? For Windows based machines, I think good old Firefox is the best browser. If you go with Apple, I *think* your only choice is going to be Safari.......but there again, I could be mistaken.
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

When I go to California I have to look long and far to find a Windows based machine ... EVERYONE has an Apple (same can be said for New York). Heck, watch most any TV show where they're using a desk top or laptop and you'll see that Apple emblem. In fact, Lynn's brother gave her mom an Apple a few years ago for her birthday and since we were out there visiting at the time, I had the joyous experience of getting it set up for her. Considering I've had ONLY Windows based machines for the past 25+ years, I was ready to throw that MF'er out the damn window! I also made a few comments about "left coasters" and how they're so "different and weird" ... they can't even have the same computers the rest of the free world uses! I know it was just the fact I'd never so much as touched an Apple before and it was frustrating that most any program I was familiar with would not work on an Apple, that ... well ... lets just say I was super frustrated.

I know the frustration was simply because I'd never dealt with Apple before and had no clue what I was doing ... but knowing I can jump on any Windows based machine in the world and go straight to work (like internet cafe's in Thailand for example) ... it frustrated me. I also felt like a bozo since I needed to teach her mom how to use the frigging thing but was having trouble myownfineself! I'm sure once you get used to it, it's a fine OS, but I have a bad taste in my mouth as I will always associate them with those weirdo left-coasters. NO WAIT!!! YOU are a left-coaster! Maybe it'll work out fine.

Anyway .... when I think Apple now, I immediately think "left-coast" ... "New York" ... or "Yuppie"! I have no clue how Cappy got converted but I'd be willing to bet our resident Yuppie (The Lenster) prolly uses one also.

And take that from someone who uses an iPhone!

Sunny if you want freedom from viruses, adware, spyware, etc go buy a iMac.
    You can get office for Mac and it looks just like the winders version. Apple keeps STRICT control on software and apps.
    We thought about building and offering a Goodhunting App and found out for droid it's a one time 50 buck cost and for Apple its a 200 dollar cost each year. The reason is Apple takes your app and makes sure there is no virus, trackers, adware or spyware, before it can be offered in iTunes. And they review it each time you upgrade the app or annually thus the cost. Droid does not check apps they offer, anything goes up for download in there App Download place. That's the reason they only charge 50 bucks one time fee. They are not monitoring what is being offered for download. When you download software or apps on droid you have no clue what you are getting as far as adware or spyware is concerned.
    We bought a iMac about 5 years ago. Not once has it locked up, crashed, or hitched in anyway. Have not had to take it anywhere or in any way had the first moments problem with it. And we do have Office on it. Before this iMac I had never used anything but a PC and loved them. But I was forever having to upgrade or scanning for viruses, defraging the hard drive, or the computer would slow down, crash or just need to be replaced, popup, lockup etc.
    If you go with Mac you will in the long run love it and be much safer, however in the beginning you will cuss it, threaten to box it up and take it back or worse. If you stick with it you will discover you can do everything easier on it than you can with a PC. However you are programmed to do things the PC way and learning the easier way seems awkward at first. A iMac is incredibly solid and dependable. You will love it and save a BUNCH of money and headaches in the long run. Just my 02 cents.
    Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

A question for you regarding Office, Cap'n....

If I send you a Word document (*.docx) that I've created on a Windows system, can you open/edit/save that document and send it back to me....and can I then open/edit/save it on my machine?

Serious question. Di's office, like 99.9% of offices, uses Windows based machines. She often works from home, sometimes she even links to her office network from home to work on a document, or email. Just wondering if we were to go Mac at some point if that would be a problem.

Cancer Sucks!

Absolutely, it is the exact office package as the windows version only it operates on IMac. Do you have office on a PC at home? If so I'll send you a copy of my hunt club news letter or rules that I did here and you can goof around with it. It was made on iMac.

A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Cappy's a yuppie!

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Cappy's a yuppie!
    A redneck yuppie.....

Yes, we have the "latest" version.

Cancer Sucks!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    Macs have always been the "go to" in the publishing business - so my first computer was a Mac. That thing was virtually bullet proof. And for 10 years I didn't know what a virus was. I then had a PC my SIL built/re-built in his basement. When I "retired" we decided we needed to upgrade. My daughter, son, sil and to some extent my wife are all pretty good with PCs but really don't like Mac. Since I don't have my Mac support staff from the mag anymore - we went the other way. I've had more hiccups with various things (viruses, worms, reboots and Windows 8 included) in a year than I did in 15. I think a lot of it is as much to do with the "times" as the machine. But it's frustrating when you know nothing about computers - *and don't want to*. I very much agree as far as the virus thing goes.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Conine I sent you a word doc and a excel file I did in office.

What Captain and HH said.

BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    This technology has passed me by. I can't give a good answer.

I hear folks like Captain, and Jim. Then I hear folks like a friend of mine, and my daughter. Daughter is a high school teacher, and she is required to use whatever they give her. She had a PC for years, and last year they switched to Mac airs. She hates it. She says nothing works like it's supposed to, and the keyboard has way too many limitations. I glassed over at her examples, so the only one I remember is this.........which is sorta minor, but it bugs her to death......if you type a paragraph, and then want to edit it from the middle, and you use your mouse to put the cursor in middle of a word, for example..........on a PC the space key moves the cursor forward and the backspace key moves it back. So you can edit either way. With iMac she can only go one direction (I forget which way, I think it's backwards with backspace key). She is constantly editing kids' stuff, and her own, so she says this takes her five times longer with a Mac. She gave another example of something to do with adding columns of numbers........I think the Mac has no numeric keypad on the keyboard, like most PC's do........??

Anyway.........there are differences. Plus, a Mac is about 2 to 3 times the cost of a PC. Or they used to be.

All of the problems that folks say PC's have, I haven't had lately. I did used to, yes. But I run Webroot and loaded Disconnect.ME and I have no popups, ads, viruses, or problems. Stuff runs fine.

It WAS Steve Jobs that invented GUI.........and a mouse.......and all that we now know and love about computers. So they have always been ahead of their time. I don't know if they still are. I wish I'd have bought their stock long ago!!!

That said, I'm used to a PC, and if I ever held a Mac, I might fall in love. Who knows?
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Quote Originally Posted by Niner View Post
    I think good old Firefox is the best browser. If you go with Apple, I *think* your only choice is going to be Safari.......but there again, I could be mistaken.
    Firefox works great on Apple iMacs... That what we use.

Sidebar:

I get so tickled/mad, at Microsoft! I use Firefox. But if I go to MSN.COM to read some news or whatever........or almost anywhere else.........there is a two line automatic ad that pops up at the top, and no pop up software can stop it.......that says "You are using Firefox. Are you SURE you don't want to download IEx?"

I have to kill it to get those two lines back. Then it pops back up every time I click on anything or change pages.

I think PC's are fine. I think Microsoft sucks!!!
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Believe me Bucky I know where your daughter is coming from. The first few weeks with the Mac and I was ready to pull out what little hair I had left. But once you learn it the limitations are on the PC side.
    I know I used PC's for 20 years and loved them. Other than not being dependable.
    It's like a guy who has always shot a semiauto loading hunting rifle and then gets a bolt action and complaining that he has to operate the bolt handle. His "complaint" is a fair one HOWEVER he has a much more accurate rifle and certainly more dependable than the Jam-o-matic.

"She says nothing works like it's supposed to"
    That's wrong. Things DO work the way they suppose to, just maybe different than she is use to.
    "the keyboard has way too many limitations."
    I have not found one yet they are the same as far and I can tell.

"I glassed over at her examples, so the only one I remember is this.........which is sorta minor, but it bugs her to death......if you type a paragraph, and then want to edit it from the middle, and you use your mouse to put the cursor in middle of a word, for example..........on a PC the space key moves the cursor forward and the backspace key moves it back. So you can edit either way. With iMac she can only go one direction (I forget which way, I think it's backwards with backspace key). She is constantly editing kids' stuff, and her own, so she says this takes her five times longer with a Mac."
    On the bottom right of the key board there are four keys that move the cursor up, down, backward, or forward.
    Just another example of trying to do thing the harder way (the PC way) on a Mac. The four keys I'm speaking of will move her through the document faster than the space keys and or mouse.

"She gave another example of something to do with adding columns of numbers........I think the Mac has no numeric keypad on the keyboard, like most PC's do........??"
    They got all the numbers that I know of.

"Anyway.........there are differences. Plus, a Mac is about 2 to 3 times the cost of a PC. Or they used to be."
    And worth EVERY dime they cost.
    I love that every document, movie, song (and I have over 6,000 songs) and file that I have is backed up to the cloud and I can access it all on my phone from a deer stand or anywhere I'm at.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckrub View Post
    Sidebar: I get so tickled/mad, at Microsoft! I use Firefox. But if I go to MSN.COM to read some news or whatever........or almost anywhere else.........there is a two line automatic ad that pops up at the top, and no pop up software can stop it.......that says "You are using Firefox. Are you SURE you don't want to download IEx?"
    I use Firefox on my iMac and have NEVER seen a pop up not one ever.

Bucky your daughter sounds amazingly just like you.

BKB

Another plus is there is only ONE wire to the iMac, (the electrical plugin) everything else is wireless. Mouse,keyboard, router, printer, scanner, etc. And there is no PC "box" sitting around making noise. The iMac is built totally into the screen and it is very thin and not so much as a fan noise or hum anywhere. Really amazing. When I had the PC we had to have one of those plug strips, everything had 11 wires to hook up and under the desk looked like a bird nest of wires.

Captain, I've used nothing but Safari on my Mac and ipad. So far I haven't found anything it can't do that Firefox does. Any special reason or is it just familiarity?
    BKB

Just was use to it and the transition was easier with familiar stuff.
    Safari is all I use on my iPhone and iPad and it works great. I can move through it as good a Firefox now.

Also Sunny if you wanted to you can take a iMac and partition the hard drive, load the Mac OS software on half of the machine and load Winder latest OS on the other side. Then boot up to whichever you want to run. However if you do this you will open your machine up to all the viruses and malware that plagues PC's now. In other words you would have to install all the junk stopper software and antivirus software on the iMac.
    I don't know why anyone would do this but I'm sure there is a situation for it.

Did I mention they cost 2X as much?

This isn't a popup, and if you go to MSN.COM with anything other than IE, you get it. It's two lines at the top. I THINK if you finally click it off after so many tries, it 'gives up'.

I have to admit here........I am tickled and laughing at all this.

This is the same type of stuff that gets posted here if we discuss:

Boats
    Trucks
    Cars
    Four wheelers
    Computers
    fishing reels
    movies
    tv shows
    sports
    BBQ
    Peanuts

You name it.

If a guy here bought one, he is NOT GOING TO ADMIT he made a mistake! His is the best, and that's that. His way is not only the best way, it's the ONLY way. And you dang well better agree wid him! and we're all that way!!
    Last edited by Buckrub; 02-16-2014 at 07:53 PM.

And thank you Posty. Yes she does. Graduated HS a year early. Honors college. Masters in Biology. Extremely intelligent. Excellent thinking skills. Understands right vs. wrong. Knows how to do things. Feet planted firmly on the ground. Not flighty. Take charge kind of person.

To say she's like me........is quite the compliment....................... to me.

There is one fact that speaks volumes.
    People with PC's switch to Mac's people with Mac's don't switch to PC's

TASTES GREAT

LESS FILLING

TASTES GREAT

LESS FILLING

HA Ha!

Madest thou look.”

Thus enduth the joke

Did I mention they cost 2X as much?

This isn't a popup, and if you go to MSN.COM with anything other than IE, you get it. It's two lines at the top. I THINK if you finally click it off after so many tries, it 'gives up'.

I have to admit here........I am tickled and laughing at all this.

This is the same type of stuff that gets posted here if we discuss:

Boats
    Trucks
    Cars
    Four wheelers
    Computers
    fishing reels
    movies
    tv shows
    sports
    BBQ
    Peanuts

You name it.

If a guy here bought one, he is NOT GOING TO ADMIT he made a mistake! His is the best, and that's that. His way is not only the best way, it's the ONLY way. And you dang well better agree wid him! and we're all that way!!
    Ummmmm......excuse me, please re-read reply #2 and #5.

Cancer Sucks!

You name it. If a guy here bought one, he is NOT GOING TO ADMIT he made a mistake! His is the best, and that's that. His way is not only the best way, it's the ONLY way. And you dang well better agree wid him! and we're all that way!!
    Ummmm, a while back, a buddy of mine (Sales Manager at the local Chevy dealer) talked me into trading my Toyota truck for a Chevy truck. For 18 months straight, I posted what a huge mistake I'd made ... then dumped that POS for another 'Yota at a huge financial loss!

Just recently, Big Sky made multiple posts about trading his Toyota truck for a Phord truck and the HUGE mistake he'd made.

(Sorry ... couldn't resist)

Bucky is blowing smoke about something he don't know nothing about.
    I used PC for 20 years and Mac's for the last 5 or so. I KNOW what I'm talking about.
    Made it clear there is nothing wrong with a PC as long as you don't mind viruses, worms, adware, spyware, lockups, slowdown and crashing etc...
    I even made it clear about how frustrating it could be to switch over to Mac. But they are rock solid dependable. I have had one for 5 years or so and NEVER not once has it hitched in anyway. No popups never had any kind of virus or anti virus software. Never locked up and never had to restart it. In that same time period a novel could have been put together with the problems Bucky has posted here about his PC's
    Until he buys a Mac and uses it he's got no standing in how one works.