Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sick Steering....

Sick Steering....

I may have asked this before....if so pardon my memory loss.

I need info from any of y'all that have owned, driven, or ridden in a boat that has (had) stick steering.

How did it perform? What did you like about it? What did you dislike about it?

Been thinking about getting a boat, and this looks kind of interesting.
    The key word there is THINKING.

http://www.trackerboats.com/boat/?boat=3492
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

Egghead has it on his jet boat. It's freaking badass is what it is

For our river running, it's invaluable for safety among other things. You're perched high enough to where you can read the water with much better accuracy. Which is VERY important when you're running 40mph in 8 inches of water.

I'm looking hard at some used boats but will not get one without it. But it's more about the perch than the steering for me.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

This is a somewhat similar boat with smaller motor. Sits up higher than that tracker you're looking at.

If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Buddy's son has one. It's underpowered, but other than that he loves it. However, he is never on very big or open water. There, they beat you to death. But as far as having everything you need at arms reach, they are great. Sit in one spot from the time you launch till you go home. Just don't overpower it, either. Very hard to steer anything above 40 hp. in most fishing sized smaller boats.

The url you showed......that's a great little boat......stay off big water, or at least on windy days, and you're fine. Takes some getting used to.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

I owned a 17 ft bomber style (think 17 foot coffin) Strahm boat that had stick steering. In that one, you sat in the front and steered with the stick. Pull back for port, forward for starboard. The downside of sitting in a captains chair at 40 mph, which my old 65 hp Johnson Stinger would easily push that boat to, ought to be obvious. On a jet outdrive that might not be that much of a problem though.
    I'm sure there's been improvements to take care of this, but on my old boat (the Leakin' Lena) you NEVER wanted to let go of that stick when you're on plane otherwise you were going in the drink. I never thought a boat could turn 90 degrees but I can guarandamntee you that one could.

For the right kind of boat, and a skinny water boat like Len is talking about might be the right kind, they're the tits. They also have more floor space because that nasty console is gone.

BKB

You still have to rest your hand on the stick, it wants to creep on you a little

I read the title and thought you were driving with a bad hang-over.

The only boat I ever drove with stick steering was an airboat. Totally different beast I suppose.

Ummm, the stick is on the LEFT of the pic ya' bozos!

I wanna test drive one of those some day.

And I'd like to drive that boat too!

BKB

You're too old and ugly ... she'd HURT you.

What stick....

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

that'd be poll steering.

BKB

Poll or Pole?

A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

He's slow P-hole ... ya' gots ta' give him time to catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    He's slow P-hole ... ya' gots ta' give him time to catch up.
    What you talkin' bout Willis?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    What you talkin' bout Willis?

See post #1 & #6.

http://www.goodhunting.info/showthre...-a-Coincidence

I had a 14' with a 20 hp stick steer. To me the best thing was kill the big motor, drop thr trolling motor and fish. Never leave the seat. NO big water.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    You Florida Cracker. Put a hat on so stuff will quit flying over your head... It was BECAUSE of the Nascar thread that I said "Poll or Pole" on this thread....
    Jezzzzes

Sure ya' dang redneck tarheel mountain dufe!

For your information I'm a transplant to NC. I was born in Florence County SC near Mars Bluff. And about a year after I was born the Air Force accidentally dropped a Atomic Bomb a few miles from our house. It did not go off but the crash broke out windows in the house from the fall.... Now how many of YOU dufes can say you lived through a Atomic Bomb attack?

I think you've been hitting the wilderberry juice a bit heavy tonight.

http://youtu.be/2gu9ZjAdaFQ

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-Carolina.html

Survivor of atomic bomb drop. Well, that would explain a few things.

Cancer Sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    For your information I'm a transplant to NC. I was born in Florence County SC near Mars Bluff. And about a year after I was born the Air Force accidentally dropped a Atomic Bomb a few miles from our house. It did not go off but the crash broke out windows in the house from the fall.... Now how many of YOU dufes can say you lived through a Atomic Bomb attack?

That's sort of interesting, I guess.

The real question is....................the crater appears to have water in it.

IS THERE FISH IN IT?
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Hey Booger! I saw ya peek in here even though these numbnuts are too busy conducting poles.

BKB

So, exactly what IS "big" water?

Cancer Sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by Niner View Post
    So, exactly what IS "big" water?
    Niner, I think most stick-steer boats have a flatter hull. I know in my experience any water large enough to have winds generate waves is "big" water, or can be at times. I mainly fish the Upper Potomac, and when the wind is coming from the right direction (up or down river, not across it) and of the right speed, waves develop which makes the boat ride hard (esp. in the front) and can introduce air into the intake (jet drive) meaning you have to slow down.

So, if you are planning on fishing skinny water, then a jet drive, stick-steer is the ticket! If you are looking to fish larger/deeper rivers and or lakes, then I would see if there is a deep V with a stick steer - though I believe that would detract from the value of piloting in the front with stick-steer. The benefit here, at least in skinny water, is as Len described: you get a better feel for the water and can see what you are heading into. You really start to pick up minor disturbances on the water, usually indicating rocks or other structure that might be within the 4 inches of draft you need (in our boat) on plane.

Finally, all my experience is with a jet drive, and I will say if you go this route, get the biggest motor you can afford/place on the boat. You want the punch to get on plane ASAP. So, when you find that 50 yards of water deep enough to get going, you are going and on plane when you reach the skinny water! On our boat, that works out to a 90 HP power head (if it had a prop) being labelled as a 65 HP when rated with a jet drive.

HTH,

Egghead

G3 makes a 17' model with stick steering that is 70 hp max rating.............nice looking boats and they're owned ( I think) by Yamaha....... They make smaller ones too.

G3s are awesome boats. A friend of mine has one and that boat is good for any water he wants to put it on. We've fish the big lake up in Canada in it and the Norfork over in Arkansas in it.

I think the thing he like the most about it is it has a big long nose for so he can pull right up to the bank to pee when he has to.

BKB

I'm not real keen on fishing with lots of waves.

The lake/river we would ,most likely fish with said boat ~95% of the time would be our Lake West Point.
    It has Stripers, Hybrids, Large Mouth Bass, Spotted (Kentucky) Bass, Crappie, Bream, Catfishes, etc.
    http://www.westpointlake.info/Maps

We'd prolly mostly fish the northern "half" of the lake.

Cancer Sucks!