Thread: Ice Fishing Question

Ice Fishing Question

So... being in the south, when the water is cold in the spring and fall and you catch a fish they are usually very lethargic. The fight is similar to reeling in a plastic grocery bag. There's some resistance but it ain't much.

How does that compare with ice fishing? Seems like the "fight" would be even less eventful.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Caught fish the other day in 46 degree water. They fought like they do any other time.

But that's a good question........awaiting the answer. (I don't see how they get those big fish up through that little hole...........)
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

It seems more pronounced with largemouth in my area. Maybe it's a species thing, I dunno. I only chase largemouth as a plan b. Plan A is river fishing for smallies. Of course, my priorities are becoming more cloudy now that a certain someone has a striper worthy bay vessel. OK, A Smailles, B Stripers, C Largemouth.

Wait...

let me think this thru more...

Shit.

Nevermind.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    Guess I really never thought about it. Though the fight probably isn't on the same level as during the summer time, given you are fighting the fish from a single spot and through a hole in the ice does make for an interesting situation. Imagine trying to get a big fish's head in the hole, not easy.

Anyone else with more recent experience? Though I grew up ice fishing every weekend, due to a number of things I seem to be lucky to get out once or twice a year anymore.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    I catch stripers. And white bass.

And I make a lot of other mistakes in my life, as well.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    Nope - they are definitely more "tuned down" than in the summer - but in most cases you are using a 20 to 28" rod with 1 to 3# line for panfish and usually not more than 8 for anything else. Tends to even the playing field.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

I wonder if fish have the same conversation? I mean they ARE in an environment that's about 40 degrees or so warmer than a human when he's ice fishing.

BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    I wonder if fish have the same conversation?

BKB
    Sure they do...

catch-fish-man.jpg

Now that is just very strange.

BKB

That guy is such a drama queen. I still watch him every once in a while, though.

I don't know who that is. But isn't that a wolf fish? I've seen Larry Dahlberg fish for those a lot on his old program 'Hunt for Big Fish'. Its not anywhere in my Uverse lineup so I don't know if it went out of production or its just another screwing from the Death Star. Prolly another seven bucks.

BBK

He's the "river monsters" guy. Catches big ass fish after trying to make them seem extremely deadly for 25 minutes.

I'm with you Lenster ... drama queen all the way. 'Course, I guess that's what makes good television. I've watched a few times, but usually get tired of him. Of course, my favorite episode was fishing for giant catfish in the Mekong River between Laos and Thailand.