Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holy Schnikes!

Holy Schnikes!

Had a doc appt this morning and when I turned into the lot at his office my ABS kicked in and I ended up jumping the curb. I pretty much knew from talking to a buddy that it was likely a tie rod end or a wheel bearing, so I took it by a mechanic and asked him to look at it. $550 for a new hub assembly/bearing/speed sensor on the left side and he says the right side tie rod end is worn out and that's another $300.

That's highway friggin robbery.

BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    I am leaving now to go get mother's car out of the shop. Fuel gauge messed up, goes haywire. Fixing it is over $200.00.

I'm telling her they just changed a fuse and I paid for it. I hope God doesn't hate ALL liars.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar

Yep, I believe I'm gonna just do this one myself this weekend. I'm gonna let the tie rod end ride for now.

This truck has 117000 miles on it. Never had a wheel bearing go bad at that mileage. Functional obselescence.
    BKB

Bearings will go bad if you put them in to curbs... Just sayin'
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    I don't remember what you drive, but sure sounds like something a GM product would do at a little over 100,000 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Skyz View Post
    I don't remember what you drive, but sure sounds like something a GM product would do at a little over 100,000 miles.
    A hub AND a tie rod at barely over 100K???? And youse dufes STILL argue about how good those Chebbies are?

Ummm, don't look now Postie ... but I think I told you it was prolly a bad wheel bearing/hub a couple months ago when you mentioned the ABS light coming on (or sumpin' like that).

I didn't say Chevy's were the most reliable truck on the road, never have. But they're dang reliable, mine have 200,000 miles and not much wrong. What I have said, and I speak only for me, is that they are the most functional. Period. And that I like them.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

It's a Chevy. Patch her up and keep plugging along. It's mechanical, and regardless of brand...sooner or later shit is gonna break.

Fortunately for you, you've the means and ability to DIY it and save yourself a few hundred bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

I will say this, if a guy likes to do his own mechanic work, he will have plenty of opportunity to improve if he owns a GM product. Speaking of which as I was making my drive through Hell this weekend everyone had there driving lights on, which was a good thing. However, I noticed a large number only had one side working. Of those winkers, everyone one of them was a GM pick up. So were they all just not working or can you select one or the other on GM trucks?

No, that's a GM issue. No clue why.......but the "Day Lights" on all GM products are sorry as a bad mother in law. They suck. They go out constantly. Every fifth oil change, I have to change one of those bulbs. I bet about 1/2 of GM products have one light out.

I didn't realize that. Just a couple days ago I was walking out to the mailbox and my neighbor came down the street in his Chevy. I noticed one "driving light" was out and mentioned it to him. He said, "AGAIN??" and got out to look at it. Then he said, "Damn! I just replaced the other one a month or two ago! Not a big deal really ... I guess ... but kinda weird to hear it's a "problem". How basic can ya' get?

How basic?

I'd guess a Toyota.

Ha! I'm asking what could be more basic than a frigging light bulb?

Bucky, I appreciate you being straight forward on this light bulb thing. I just hadn't noticed it until my recent trip. There were so many I really was wondering if they had some kind of weird select switch or something.

Can we stay on task please? I was feeling sorry for myself for having to work on my truck in February and I ain't getting the proper sympathy.

I can do the hub assembly easy enough. I just have to buy a torque wrench (mine ran off after it grew a pair of legs) and a 32 mm friggin socket that I'll never use again. Its the inner tie rod end that I have never done. So that'll get my cherry. what frickin special tools do I need for that?

BKB

Okay BBP I feel sorry for ya, but your stay on task comment made me laugh. Mostly because we all know there is no chance of that on this site.

Let's ride bikes!!!!

You'll need a "pickle fork". An impact wrench would make it a LOT easier if you have one ... but you can do it manually with a hammer (two different pickle forks).

Ya' may want to buy a "package deal" for future jobs. (looks like it has a "hammer end" as well as an "impact end")

What in the blue f--- is a pickle fork?

BKB

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    What in the blue f--- is a pickle fork? BKB
    You are kidding right?

A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Attached Images Attached Images
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Just found what looks like a pretty decent video. I didn't watch the whole thing but just looked at bits & pieces. He seems to give a lot of good advice. Remember to mark your old ones because you'll need to drive the truck down to get it aligned so you'll want the alignment as close as possible.

I found out, yesterday, that these new vehicles have what is called a "clock spring", inside the steering wheel....it powers up everything inside the steering column---horn, airbag, cruise control, radio controls, turn signals, etc., etc.

Weird little electrical device that allows the steering wheel to rotate, yet, still maintain electrical contact to buttons and switches....$225 for the part---$200 for labor...., but, you gotta have it....I googled an installation video, which proved it was above my pay grade, so I took it to the dealer.

clockspring-5156106ab_6728.jpg
    Southern Gentleman

That's basically been around forever (for the horn ring to operate) but they kept adding stuff over the years by putting a zillion controls in the steering wheel. Ya' gots ta' be careful on the DIY jobs nowadays. Ya' wouldn't want to get an airbag in the face!

That's a Blazer Thump....He needs to see this Silverado Video

Heck, what's the diff between a 4WD Silverado and a 4WD Blazer? I just grabbed the video on the fly because it displays the basics. At least it shows what a "pickle fork" is.

The Silverado looks like an easy job...the guy in the video says "pickle fork" too haha

I've never done a tie rod end. What other devious uses are there for pickle forks?

I may have to go home and get advice from the senior mechanic when I do the tie rod end.

BKB

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    I've never done a tie rod end. What other devious uses are there for pickle forks? I may have to go home and get advice from the senior mechanic when I do the tie rod end. BKB
    Off the top of my head tie rods and steering arms on an 8N tractor.