Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Holy Schnikes!

I've called 'em "pickle forks" for ... well ... ummm ... forever! Most mechanics do.

You can use 'em mostly on pitman arms and ball joints (tie rods) P-hole.

A kit like the one above is pretty cheap which is fine as long as you're not a professional and gonna be using it all the time. That one would last you a lifetime.

It "can" be a bitch ... or it can go relatively easy P-hole. Soak everything with Liquid Wrench the night before ... ESPECIALLY if you're gonna be using hand tools and not an impact wrench and air chisle. If you've been in salt ... they can sometimes be a bitch to break loose.

Yep, I have a breaker bar and liquid wrench and a good long cheater. I have to wait till next weekend to do the job so I'll soak the caliper bracket bolts and such Friday night. At least the onez I can see! I'm more worried about the hub being froze up where the spline is on the axle. Might have to rig up some kind of puller. I know there's bolt holes there. Saw them when I did my brake job.

BKB

Using liquid wrench is old school Thumper......
    Get with the times. PB Blaster makes liquid wrench seem like glue.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

PBBlaster .....I'll try it! Good as Seafoam?

BKB

Hey! I AM old school and probably a bit behind the times! Besides, I quit doing vehicle repairs many, many years ago. Hmmm, come to think of it ... I guess I've never had to repair any of my vehicles since I switched over to Toyotas in 1981 ... so it HAS been a while!

Ditto, Cap....I keep a can of PB Blaster in just about every vehicle around here.
    Southern Gentleman

You know sumpin'? This thread kind'a reminded me. I prolly ought'a start getting rid of some of my tools. I have two rollaways crammed with every tool known to man (one of those rollaways is HUGE). That doesn't even take into account the half dozen portable tool boxes stuffed full of tools. All my tools are Snap-on and Craftsman with a few SK's thrown in for good measure. Heck, I don't even change my own oil anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    PBBlaster .....I'll try it! Good as Seafoam?

BKB

Ahaaaa....Sea Foam, those two magic words....better use the PB Blaster, however, on your tie rods.
    Southern Gentleman

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    PBBlaster .....I'll try it! Good as Seafoam? BKB
    PB blaster is as Good for its purpose as Sea Foam is for its purpose... So yes ;-)

A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    You know sumpin'? This thread kind'a reminded me. I prolly ought'a start getting rid of some of my tools. I have two rollaways crammed with every tool known to man (one of those rollaways is HUGE). That doesn't even take into account the half dozen portable tool boxes stuffed full of tools. All my tools are Snap-on and Craftsman with a few SK's thrown in for good measure. Heck, I don't even change my own oil anymore.
    Hammerhead is in need of a good set of tools. If you go to sell out fix him up a good supply and I'll send you some cash.

I'll tell you what Cappy. Maybe we could work something out. I talked to my doc today and he suggested we do the surgery next week on an "out-patient" basis (I'd told him Monday that I'm really tired of living my life in a hospital bed). Maybe I could bring a load up to the beach house when you're down here. Shipping would be a BITCH on those heavy things. I have every hand-tool imaginable and some air tools (although I haven't used them in years) as well as electric stuff like drills, grinders, buffers, etc. Heck, it's been so long since I turned a wrench, I've forgotten half the stuff I have. Does he need a box? Elaborate or basic? Give me an idea what he needs and I'll dig around a bit.

Oh, I also have those OLD estate sale tools here including that Ford wrench. I guess we need to meet up somewhere.

He has NOTHING except what he has "acquired" from my big set.. ;-)
    He could use anything from a standard/metric beginning set to a full cabinet.
    We will be in my truck and we plan on fishing a few days starting next Saturday. (The 2nd I think) and will probably come home Tuesday or Wednesday. We are sorta open ended. JB and his pretty wife might come over to the Florida house and stay a day or so before heading back to Yankee land. Then they my come on up to and stay either at our home in NC or our farm in SC later in the week. Depending on their and our travel schedules.
    The only tools david has is one of those little "handyman" kits he keeps in his truck tool box.
    So I'm sorta open ended as far as what you want to sell or dispose of.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Which iPhone app do you use to keep track of where yore spoda be at any one time?
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Ain't gonna hoe this row but one time. I'll rest when I die....

Sorry. Right after that post, Lynn brought supper up to me and I watched 2-3 Pawn Stars episodes. Back on this 'puter now planning out my estate sale schedule for tomorrow.

Cappy, it sounds like he just needs a basic set-up for general mechanical stuff. I have an old roll-away in the garage which is the first unit I ever bought. It's just a discombobulated set-up that I pieced together when I was making about $90/week and needed tools (I was a "beginning" mechanic at a Pontiac dealership in Orlando). It's a basic Craftsman bottom box/roll-away and a bottom of the line Snap-on top box. (heck, I'm 90% sure I still have the keys for them even!) The drawers are sliders ... no bearings. I think it would make a good beginner set-up for him unless he wants top of the line stuff. I could also throw together a portable Craftsman box for his truck with all the basics. I assume all hand tools and maybe an electric drill motor would do it (no air tools?).

Ya' think that's what you have in mind? (bring your N.C. house title as collateral)

What you describe sounds perfect. Let me know if you want to meet somewhere or of you want to come over to the Florida house and stay over and go out to eat.
    Shoot me an email or text and I'll drop a check in the mail or bring cash when I'm down there.
    I'm smarter than you think. See if I keep you down there tool trading you want be up here.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Sorry. Right after that post, Lynn brought supper up to me
    That gal is WAY too good to you.

I'll get something put together and get back with you. Maybe text some pics, etc. I used to be a total tool whore but couldn't tell you the last time I turned a wrench. It's time to let some of that stuff go.

Gonna hit the sack now and get rested up for an estate sale in the morning. Sumpin' in the garage caught my eye. Looks like a White's Spectrum or maybe an Eclipse ... can't tell. You still looking for one'a these? I'm planning on grabbing it if the price is right, but I know the ol' gal running this sale and she's generally a bit on the high side. If so, I'll be there bright and early Saturday morning when everything's half price and see if it's still there. It's a gamble, but many times it pays off for me. Then again, she usually shuts it down around 1:00 pm on Saturdays and if there's anything left, she'll usually work with me. We picked up a nice stainless gas grill that way. They wanted $250 for it on Friday, $125 on Saturday. I went back at noon on Saturday and talked her into giving it to me for $50 ... AND it had a full tank of propane and a new cover.

Here's what caught my eye for tomorrow (White's make a nice unit ... my first unit in the late 60's was a White's Goldmaster):

I had a gold master too, Years ago... Sounds good. On the tools or the detector. Just let me know.

I know Cap'n has dibs on that detector, but keep me in mind the next time you run across one.

I'd love to have one to find "stuff" at The Farm.....also would be handy for finding brass cartridge shells in the grass after a shooting session.

My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

That is something I have never done but have been around some folks who do it as a hobby and they do indeed find some cool stuff. Fort Gibson here in Oklahoma was one of the old original outposts of the west back in the day. A friend of mine found a cavalry spur there once when we were diggin' around with his detector. Seems like it'd be a fun hobby.

BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    I too would love to get my hands on a good, underpriced metal detector. Not sure when it would get used but it always looked like a fun treasure hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Using liquid wrench is old school Thumper......
    Get with the times. PB Blaster makes liquid wrench seem like glue.

+2.
    PB Blaster is the schiz-nit

If you like PB, you'd love Aero-Kroil.

http://www.kanolabs.com/penLub.html#anchor173855

My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org