Thread: SCORE for the Thump!!!!

SCORE for the Thump!!!!

I posted this pic I spotted last night of a metal detector at a local estate sale today. I got there 35 minutes early and was the first one there. As soon as I parked, another guy drove up, so I hustled to the front door to be the first in line. We chatted but rule number one is to NOT discuss anything you might be looking for with anyone in line ... we talked the whole time we waited, but neither of us mentioned anything special we were after. Looking at the photo on-line, I could see the metal detector was in the garage just to the right of the garage door (see the guide rail to the left of the pic) ... so as soon as the sale opened, I made a bee-line to the garage and straight to the door. There it was! I grabbed it and the guy I was talking to in line (the SECOND person through the door) asked if I was going to buy it. I told him yes and he informed me that was all he was there for. HA! Ya' snooze, ya' lose! (I literally beat him to the sale by about 1 minute).

Ok, now it's time to see which model it is ... it only had a price of $100 on it and looks brand new. Looks to have been used maybe once or twice ... NO wear at all. COOL BEANS!!! It's a White's (I knew that much from the pic, just wasn't sure of the model) model DFX 300! BINGO ... big score! That's a 12-13 year old machine, but it one of White's top of the line models and it's got a water-proof coil which is what I want (my other one is not water-proof)! I snatched that puppy up for $100!

Here's the on-line pic I spotted last night....

And here's a write-up from the net. (notice the price toward the bottom)

White’s DFX 300

White’s DFX 300 was introduced in 2001 as a top-of-the-range all-purpose metal detector in the E-Series range. It packs the most performance in the range and still provides convenient turn-and-go operation. This multi-frequency model can be set to simultaneously use both extreme frequency settings at 3 and 15 kHz for maximum sensitivity to all possible signals in the range. The DFX 300 can also automatically process and correlate the signals it receives from both frequencies and eliminate useless items.

Target identification can be conveniently read on the large backlit digital display screen, which features VDI numbers, text labels of targets, icons and SignaGraph readings for improved accuracy. A numerical depth meter can be activated via the grip-mounted trigger during Pinpointing sessions. Several different Discrimination settings are also already pre-programmed into the DFX for quick and convenient hunting trips. Easily change Discrimination Accept/Reject levels via the VDI readouts you are reading. There are also 4 fully customizable user slots for saving unique personal settings.

Audio tone frequency settings are fully variable via the on-screen menu. The DFX also comes featured packed with VCO, Mixed Mode audio and Silent Search audio modes. The intuitive menu system also allows users to Independently adjust A.C. and D.C. sensitivity levels, as well as preamp gain. Ground balance also has automatic tracking and manual adjustment modes.

The DFX 300 comes with a 12 inch Double D search coil and a rechargeable NiCad battery pack.

White’s DFX 300 Specifications

Brand: White’s Electronics
    Model: DFX 300
    Manufacture Date: 2001
    Intended Use: all-purpose; prospecting; gold, silver, coin, relic and meteorite hunting; beach hunting
    Weight: 4 lbs
    Battery Type: rechargeable battery and 8xAA battery holder included
    Visual ID Type: LCD, backlit digital display
    Number of Target ID Segments: VDI Target ID number and labels; SignaGraph
    Number of Audio Tones: fully adjustable tone frequency settings; Mixed Mode, Silent Search and VCO
    Ground Balance: Automatic ground tracking; manual with Coarse and Fine GEB (Ground Exlclusion Balance) setting
    Discrimination Type: Digital Discrimination Control; accept/reject based on VDI readings
    Number of Search Modes: 5 factory presets; 4 custom EEPROM modes
    Adjustable Shaft length: Yes, 45.5 to 52.5 inches
    Sensitivity Adjustment: Yes, with preamp gain
    Coin Depth Meter: Yes; numerical reading, trigger activated
    Pinpoint Feature: Yes
    Frequency: 16 frequencies from 3 to 15 kHz
    Type of Circuit: VLF Multi Frequency
    Coil Type: Double D
    Stock Coil Size: 12 inch
    Suggested Retail Price: $1,199.95
    Street Price: $1,199.95

Waterproof features: coil only; fully submersible

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    So, what was in those metal tool boxes?
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    Sweet. Your knowledge of all things second hand amazes me Jimbo. But like they say, knowledge is power. Or money in this case.

Will

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Dinner View Post
    So, what was in those metal tool boxes?
    They were empty CD ... the tools were spread out on tables set up in the garage. I'll be going back tomorrow for 1/2 price day. I have my eye on a few things I want if they're still there. For $100, there was no way I was gonna gamble on the metal detector not selling today!

I have fun at it Will ... it's like a weekend treasure hunt ... ya' never know what you'll find.

Nerd.
    BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    Way to go Thumper!

As I said before, hitting those sales looking for treasures sounds like a lot of fun to me but not sure the wife would be too excited to go rummage sale-ing though if we ever get back to Florida. But oh the stories I could tell my grandkids about estate shopping with the Master.

Be careful Thumper, I see a plan developing for the next time I get down there.

So now you have TWO metal detectors??? What you gonna do use one in each arm? ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Sounds like the early bird got the worm. Or in this case the detector.

A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

I'm open Bwana. It works well for me as I can only take a few hours at a time before my back gives out and I'm shot for the day. I'm usually home before noon on estate sale days.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    So now you have TWO metal detectors??? What you gonna do use one in each arm? ;-)

Sure! Why else would we have two arms?

Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    Nerd.
    BKB
    Dork!

Nerd.
    BKB
    Look at my avatar P-hole ... I'm WATCHING you dude!

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Sure! Why else would we have two arms?
    Sounds like a YouTube video in the making. You can't chew gum and walk...

Thump, let's go do like those two meteorite men do and go make a gozillion dollars.

BKB

I'm ready ... but I'll make TWO gozillion dollars 'cause I now have one for each hand!

You will have two hands full then. So you just mark where you saw stuff and I'll come along behind and dig it up. I promise I'll let you know what I found.

BKB

You must think you're dealing with the Captain here!

Captain would be of no use at all. He'd be too busy kicking over cow pies to make them stink.

BKB

Captain would be of no use at all. He'd be too busy kicking over cow pies to make them stink. BKB
    Hey!.... I resemble that remark.