Thread: Question - what would you do?

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar

Question - what would you do?

Sometime back I purchased a drill to use for raising and lowering my 5th-wheel camper. This is the one:
    https://www.rockwelltools.com/en-US/...ll_driver.aspx
    From the start the drill quits working soon after it came under load. I called the company and they agreed it was faulty and would replace it as long as I paid a fee of $13.95 to mail the faulty unit back so I took them up on the offer.

Some weeks later this unit shows up:
    https://www.rockwelltools.com/en-US/...ium_3rill.aspx

I emailed the company informing them of the mistake and got a message back that the replacement unit was "an upgrade" to my drill

I no longer need the drill for the camper as I put an electric assist motor on it. The "upgrade" looks like a decent outfit but…

My guess is that somebody on their end screwed up and sent the wrong drill and now they are trying to sell me on the "upgrade."

So how would you handle this?

Boy, tough one. Looks to me like you should have a $70 reimbursement coming. If you'd have wanted that model, you'd have bought it in the first place. Any clue if your original model has been discontinued? It sure seems an "upgrade" would be higher priced than the original. Plus you're out the shipping to add insult to injury.

I guess that depends on if you like the "replacement" or not.

According to this link I pulled up from Home Depot, the 3-in-1 is listed for a lot more $$$ than the "regular" 18V drill.
    Of course it could be that HD is trying to get shed of the 18V product.
    http://www.homedepot.com/s/rocklwell%2520drill?NCNI-5

As far as published ratings........they say the torque of the drill is 450 in-lbs, and the torque of the 3-in-1 is 800 in-lbs

I will say this....
    I have this unit:
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-18...SKU+%23+847357
    I find that we use the "driver" MUCH more than the "drill". In fact the drill only gets used for making holes in stuff. I WAY prefer the driver for screws and such.

So.....I guess my advice would be to smile and be happy and use the unit for other stuff around the homestead.
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

So are they charging you for the upgraded unit? Doesn't sound like it. I 'd just keep it. Or better yet, I'd get my original money back and go buy a Dewalt. I have one that'll damn near break your arm. I'm flat sold on Dewalt power tools.

BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    You bought an 18V Driver, and they sent a 12V Drill???

I'd call Rockwell and say "May I speak to the CEO please?"............... Trust me, this works.

Write down the name of everyone that answers. If they say "This is Joe Smith, may I help you?".......write it down. Document times and dates and what happened. If you get someone to fix this, fine. If not, document it all, write a letter to the CEO, copy the Better Business Bureau, and ask for immediate reparations.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Nope Bucky.......he bought an 18V drill and they sent him a 12V driver with twice the torque.
    Although, my Makita driver has 1,420 in. lbs torque.

Like I said....it depends on what he's after.....and under powered drill or an less underpowered driver.

Actually, I like BBP's advice of getting a refund and buying a better product. My BIL has the Dewalt driver and loves his as much as I love my Makita. Heck, prolly made in the same factory!!

Bwana.....Question....Did you buy it from Rockwell directly, or locally????

Cancer Sucks!

I had a Makita that grew legs and walked off to one of my son's houses. It was the best one I'd ever had. That's why I bought this Dewalt. Now my boys don't get to borrow tools any more. Nor do they get to borrow my pickup.
    Does anyone else's sons do this shit to them or is it just me?

BKB

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    I get pictures sent to me............and I say "HEY THERE IS THAT SHIRT"..............

Worse, when they have the same last name (the girls don't do this), every cooler ends up in Georgia sooner or later.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

I've observed the same. I don't use a cooler too often but when I go to grab one and they're all gone I usually end up throwing things. Especially true of camp chairs.

BKB

Haven't read it all yet but see the need to clarify so here goes:
    Bought the 18 V drill at Menards. It was faulty so called Rockwell about the issue. They said it is faulty and agreed to replace it if I paid return postage to send the faulty unit back after the replacement arrived. Replacement is a 12 V 3-in-1 unit that according to the Rockwell website sells for $99 but the 18 V unit sells for $169.

Just wondering if the potentially more handy unit should be kept even though it is less costly or push for what I purchased?

Could say they tried to screw me but then again they could have told me tough luck with your faulty unit and better luck next time.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    I think if I wanted a $99 drill, I would have bought one. I'd send them both back and insist on a refund. (Then, go buy a Dewalt.)
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Dinner View Post
    I think if I wanted a $99 drill, I would have bought one. I'd send them both back and insist on a refund. (Then, go buy a Dewalt.)
    Ditto...

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Bwana, do you still have your original receipt from the Menard's place?
    If so, take it and the "replacement" unit down there and ask to talk with the manager.
    Tell him the tale and see if you can talk him into giving you a refund on the unit.

Then get the Dewalt or Makita.

Cancer Sucks!

That is a problem as I cannot find the receipt. Not sure how long the Menards keeps them in their system but I am thinking it has been too long for that to happen.

Administrator
    I would keep it. There are laws protecting consumers from this type of thing, which is honestly not uncommon and often not a "mistake" at all. My mom received an entire set of encyclopedias she never ordered once. She thanked the sales guy (who showed up at the house to collect) for the gift.
    --Foo