Thread: For postshole's hat

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    Lol.

Truth is it is a hell of a lot easier to find a hat that will accommodate a real headlamp than it is to find one of the brim lights that will get the job done.

Will

I keep throwing 'hat lights' up against his wall, and maybe one day one'll stick.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

I've tried the Rapala ones and they're crap. Didn't even last an entire night of fishing. the Browning ones are the only ones I've found that do the trick and even they could use some improvement. That key ring thing is a joke.

BKB

Quote Originally Posted by Buckrub View Post
    I keep throwing 'hat lights' up against his wall, and maybe one day one'll stick.
    Maybe. But I doubt it. That man's got definite ideas on what a brim light ought to be capable of.

Will

lol, that makes me sound crochety.

BKB

I think the unspoken requirement here is that BBP wants to be able to roll a doobie in a boat on a new moon night and the headlamp has got to be versatile enough to handle that task. I can see him now with his neck mounted granny cross stiching magnifying glass, okie baseball hat and 400,00 candlepower brim light.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Quote Originally Posted by LJ3 View Post
    I think the unspoken requirement here is that BBP wants to be able to roll a doobie in a boat on a new moon night and the headlamp has got to be versatile enough to handle that task. I can see him now with his neck mounted granny cross stiching magnifying glass, okie baseball hat and 400,00 candlepower brim light.
    Bwahahahahaha!

With every game warden and law enforcement officer being able to see what is happening from a mile away. But Posty muttering to himself "I still can't see what I'm doing with this damned thing!"

Will

I THINK he'd have enough sense to sit on the floor of the boat... but then it'd look like he was giving a hummer to his boat mate
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Well it needs to serve two purposes basically, if you're going to make me write up friggin business requirements for it.

a: it has to be strong enough that it will throw a beam a few feet (five feet would be good) into fairly clear water. A net man trying to make an assist at night can't see that damned hi tech braided line and needs to be able to get a good enough sight on the fish to determine how to net it.
    2. it needs to be adjustable so that it can be tilted downward when tying a knot or preparing a bowl.
    Z: it needs to be bright enough to make your boat buddies yell at you when you forget to turn it off and you burn their retinas.

Most hat lights fail in these areas:

They have all these colors you never use and you end up constantly recylcling through those colors every time you turn it on. the control just needs to be ON or OFF. Period. No friggin green light that does nothing for anyone and no whore house red LEDs to signal the coast guard, just a plain binary power button. If Bucky can bitch about three position safeties I can bitch about fancy complicated hat light control buttons.
    Most of them fall apart because they are poorly constructed. Either the first time you replace batteries the battery hatch never stays fastened on securely ever again, or the LEDs come in some fancy ass assorted colors and the LED lens won't stay securely fastened to the base. Or the thing comes has some complicated way of tilting downward and the things breaks down on that apparatus.

These are simple problems people. Not complicated. but simple. there's money to be made if the right product came along. I want one that works so good I will get pissed when my fishing buddies run off with mine. In fact I want it to work so good they WANT to steal it.

BKB

OK, whilst not a "cap"light this IS a "head"light, and fulfills most if not all of the BBP punch list....

http://www.ledlenser.com/880021.html#start=16
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

Head lamps don't cut it either. they wont stay connected to your cap. You can't fish without a cap on otherwise your buddies hat lights can blind you.

Besides, they mess up my hair.

BKB

Seriously, I used a light like you want when I was driving a truck. I wore it on the bill of my cap when I was arranging/securing loads inside a dark trailer (day OR night) or even as I checked tires, brake lines, etc. during trailer/tractor inspections. It is NOT adjustable really, but if I were working with my hands, I'd simply tilt my hat down. I never saw the reason to have those adjustable clip thingies that always broke anyway. If I were working with my hands (like tying a knot), my eyes were looking downward anyway so when I pulled the bill of my cap down to aim the light, it didn't block my vision. Who knows? You may be too picky and want your "dream light", but mine had pretty good quality and did everything I asked of it.

I think there were three models if I remember correctly ... but it was something simple like 1, 2 & 3 (I think the only difference was size/battery combinations)

This was 5 or so years ago, so I have no clue if they still make them, but you may want to try our old friend Google.

I had the Leatherman Serac 3.

Ok, I just used Google images. Here are the three Seracs ... I wasn't sure before, but it looks like they all come with a "cap clip".

That is a model I haven't tried. Thanks, Jim I will look for one of those.

BKB

Well, I don't remember what I paid for mine, but I do remember it was pricey. It held up well and I suppose it fell under the old "you get what you pay for" banner.

I was doing some looking around on this. Looks like Leatherman bought LED Lenser back in 2011. That light is not on Leatherman's website, but a similar light IS on LED Lender's site....and at 400 lumens it should light up the lake.

http://www.ledlenser.com/880122.html#start=3

Cancer Sucks!

Cancer Sucks!

Wow! There's ONE (Leatherman) listed on eBay for $50 + $6 shipping!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/leatherman-s...item35d29b4cc4

If you're not in a hurry, you may want to keep an eye on "The Bay". I just peeked at the "sold" side and one guys sold a new S3 for $24.00! Someone nailed a bargain there!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leatherman-1...p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...H_Sold=1&rt=nc

So, we people here think the world of you, and go way out of our way to help you out, and there's no response to these fine responses??

I bet you're a manager.

P.S.
    Your requirement number (2) is impossible with a brimmed hat, unless the light is underneath said brim (such as Thump's example). Just sayin'.....seems one more example of modern management requiring the impossible and seeming all smug at having to define said impossibility, thus rendering said self vulnerable to actual scrutiny

P.S.S.
    Have you ever read the comic "Dilbert"??

My Browning hat light IS underneath the bill. Bill.

BKB

Ummm, don't they all generally go "under the bill" anyway? Heck Buckster, look at the ad again, the Rapala you started this thread with goes under the bill. The ad shows three pics ... the 3rd pic is with it mounted on a hat. Heck, they clip on ... I suppose you can mount 'em over or under ... but I don't think I've ever seen anybody wear them on top.

Duh.

I have two, one of which is built into the hat, and I wear both on top of the bill. Works best, and I have such pretty hair that it doesn't matter if I mess it up.

I have seen those hats at Lowes on the impluse item shelf that has the led built into the bill of the cap. You obviously can't tilt it but I've always wondered how well those work and how long they last.

One thing for sure, LED technology has sure changed things in the lightin' bidness. They're not just simple 'torches' any more.

BKB