Thread: I hate being naive

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar

I hate being naive

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/whit...th-care-n38696

cause I guess I am. This is not "political sarcasm". This is a serious, honest question.

So........we all went through all this grief, and all this mess, and all this chaos, and huge premium increases, and loss of coverage by so many........for Four Million People???

Seriously???

A tenth of one percent of all of us?? That's who signed up? How many are old? Sickly? How many are the "healthy young" that are supposed to be required to sign up???

I swear........I am seriously missing something here. I'm honestly open to comments........but geez, I don't know what would make this make sense!!

??????
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Obama: 4 Million Have Signed Up for Health Care

President Barack Obama told supporters Tuesday that four million Americans have signed up for insurance through the federal health-care marketplace, but “implacable opposition” and technical issues have prevented many from enrolling.

“A combination of an implacable opposition that has spent hundreds of millions of dollars, if not billions of dollars, spreading misinformation on this plan -- you combine that with – let’s face it, the website didn’t work for the first month; and all those things combined mean that a lot of people who really could use this coverage are unsure or dissuaded,” Obama said.

There will be a "big push" to get people signed up ahead of the end of enrollment on March 31, Obama said at the Organizing for America summit in Washington, D.C.

Last week, Vice President Joe Biden said it would be a good start to get between 5 and 6 million Americans enrolled, below the administration’s initial goal of 7 million.

“The work you are doing is God’s work,” Obama told the grassroots political group.

First published February 25th 2014, 7:13 pm
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

I don't know Bucky. Were you thinking that the people who signed up for health care via the government provided website were the only ones affected by Obamacare? If so, then you probably are naive. Question answered.

BKB

Southern Gentleman

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    kinda like the christmas season job increase. How many people signed up because they lost their insurance because of Obamacare. I'm not an Obama basher but I think this whole thing is a ploy by a man who is desperately trying to push his agenda for reasons of a legacy. He's made it pretty plain he doesn't care about the needs of the American people unless it agrees with him. As much as I dislike what he stands for, he is the peoples choice and I am not to rise up in revolt or even criticize much. just the way I roll

1 Timothy 2:1-3
    First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way. This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior,

Romans 13:1
    Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God.
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

A COMPLETE failure by a failure...
    The big thing is of those 4 million that have signed up very few have actually paid anything.
    Also Posty is right not only the folks that have signed up on the website are affected, millions upon millions were affected by this garbage. However in a negligible way, like cancelled insurance, higher premiums. Higher deductibles, less coverage that they had, et al.....

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Psalm 109:8:
    May his days be few; may another take his place of leadership.

Acts 5:29
    Peter and the other apostles replied: “We must obey God rather than human beings!

Daniel 6:10
    Now when Daniel learned that the decree had been published, he went home to his upstairs room where the windows opened toward Jerusalem. Three times a day he got down on his knees and prayed, giving thanks to his God, just as he had done before.

Daniel 3:18
    But even if he does not, we want you to know, Your Majesty, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up.
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

Len 4:20
    A book written by hundreds of people with different purpose and agenda, with books assigned to a specific person but actually written by many, from different religions and different governments, following different prophets with different views of God from different sects, who don't even agree on who Jesus was, over a span of many years then being assembled by another set of people with all those same variables provides quotes that reflect all those things.

You're welcome
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    Hahahaha.

This doesn't address the overriding problem with US healthcare: Most of the uninsured can't afford to sign up for this new plan and no one can afford health care w/o insurance.

Bottom line? Health care has been insulated from the same free market forces that are driving down US standards of living. It has to get less expensive in relation to the rest of the economy. And it will. It just isn't going to because of this law. Probably have to crater the system before it gets reformed.

Will

Seems like the healthcare system will implode eventually. The money flowing in to it is going to be reduced at the rate people are signing up. Then it seems like it will consume itself from the inside out until a shell remains.... or website.

I wish I understood economics better.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

II Retributions 6:19

"And, there were dastardly giants in the land, and God summoned His little friend, David....and, David had a shiny new slingshot."
    Southern Gentleman

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LJ3 View Post
    I wish I understood economics better.
    I wish we had economists who understand the economy better.

Or at least ones who weren't coin operated. All you need to know is that health care costs have soared over the past few decades. And that there are no signs of this correcting itself. In almost any economic worldview this is a surefire sign of either a market that has protected itself from competition or one that is suffering from a natural monopoly. Take you pick but either way it is a market failure. When prices soar there is supposed to be a reaction from the market which brings more hungry hands to the table which drives down prices.

But there has always been a large section of economics which believes a true free market in health care is impossible. Reason being that it is impossible to take precautions to prevent a lot of the bankrupting illnesses that we get and also that in a whole lot of cases you simply cannot take the time to get the best value for the money. Even some very important "free market" advocates of the past agreed with this.

But nowadays economics is nothing more than hard fisted politics with fancy words and numbers. IMvHO the discipline should be disbanded and combined with Political Science. They have become a large part of the problem and if they cannot act with academic integrity they should be relegated to the position of political theatre.

Will

I just asked a simple question.

Posthole apparently answered it.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Quote Originally Posted by LJ3 View Post
    Len 4:20
    A book written by hundreds of people with different purpose and agenda, with books assigned to a specific person but actually written by many, from different religions and different governments, following different prophets with different views of God from different sects, who don't even agree on who Jesus was, over a span of many years then being assembled by another set of people with all those same variables provides quotes that reflect all those things.

You're welcome
    Thank you Len! I'd like to have your quote printed up on a poster, buy a nice frame and hang it on my wall! You've explained something I've TRIED to explain all my adult life (when people get in my face about my "Heathenism").

Not to start an argument........my only comment to both of you.

But my impression of both of your opinions on this is that since there is not consensus in religion, and since there is so much misunderstanding and various beliefs, that you base that confusion on your thought that it can't be valid. In other words, if everyone agreed except you two, you MIGHT consider it. Otherwise, no.

The Book itself talks about you two guys.

Matthew 7:13-14

13 “Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it. 14 For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it.

Well, I'm gonna bail after this because no Biblical opinions will ever be changed here ... not that they SHOULD be.

But ... I find your statement to be pretty narrow-minded (which is the norm when it comes to religious discussions). If the "Good Book" says it ... it's true ... no argument!

But to say ...

But my impression of both of your opinions on this is that since there is not consensus in religion, and since there is so much misunderstanding and various beliefs, that you base that confusion on your thought that it can't be valid. In other words, if everyone agreed except you two, you MIGHT consider it. Otherwise, no.
    It always reminds me that, in Biblical times, the Bible pretty much stated the world is flat and it was accepted by most and only questioned by a few. I suppose I would have been one of those "few" back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckrub View Post

Matthew 7:13-14

13 “Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it. 14 For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it.
    Well that makes perfect sense because why would any Creator/God/Whatever want to go to the trouble of making something only to have to make it all work for everybody? Why that would be absurd. And well.....Godlike.

BKB

You're shooting the messenger.

Romans 14:11 says you'll see the error of your ways someday.........whether you believe it now, or not.

And Jim.........most truth that I've encountered is 'narrow minded'............sort of the definition of truth, I'd think.
    Last edited by Buckrub; 02-26-2014 at 01:48 PM.

^^^^ Not with a Weatherbee Magnum, though!

If I didn't love y'all, I wouldn't try.

I've been reading a few books from highly qualified scholars, theologians, historians, scholars and the like about the Bible, the times, the people, the history, Jesus, the Roman Empire, prophets, historical fact vs historical assumption, and lots of other stuff... and I think my opinion is pretty valid.

But no, that's not my point at all. My point is about the genesis (pun intended) of the Bible, how it came to be. It's not very cut and dry

I don't disagree with anyone's opinion of religion and god. In fact I think the different views and perspectives of (insert deity here), coupled with the lack of consensus, and considering the commonality in most perspectives actually shores up the argument that there is a different plane of existence that could be accessible to us humans.

But again, just my opinion.

So...........I guess you're saying that a man that is naive enough to believe the headline that only 4M people have signed up for this Country-Saving Health Care Wonderment is also naive enough to believe that the Universe was created by a God who then decided to make people, each with an immortal soul, and then decided to create some laws that each person MUST follow to gain eternal life with Him, or else go to eternal damnation.

If so, color me naive..........on both counts.

My brain is too far gone to go back to the thread subject

Wanna ride bikes?