Thread: Another Thump score!

Another Thump score!

I received an email yesterday about an estate sale in a small town about 20 miles from here. Most of these sales are Fri. & Sat, but this one was scheduled for Wed-Sat. because there are so many items to sell. It was being put on by a company I've never heard of, but I decided to drive a bit and check it out anyway.

When I started digging, I realized the prices were HIGH ... way too high to re-sell and make a profit. I did manage to find a few small items that caught my eye and there was enough "meat left on the bone" that I could turn them for a profit. But then an item in the corner caught my eye. An old cast iron Enterprise Sausage Stuffer (food press, fruit juicer, lard press ... it has a lot of uses). I almost didn't even bother to look at the price because I was SURE it would be sky high. (they sell on eBay for $150-$350!) I took a peek and they had this one priced at $50! I snatched it up immediately.

When I went to the desk, I whipped out my credit card and they informed me the phone line had been disconnected and they had no service to take credit cards. About that time, the lady running the sale looked up at me and said, "Don't I know you?" I told her I doubt it, as i don't live in that town. She then asked if my name was Jim and I told her it is. She then told me my old company name and said I used to do work for her 20 years ago and how disappointed she was when I quit doing residential work and switched over to strictly commercial. She then hollered for her husband and told him who I am and he told me how they've never been able to find anyone to do as nice a job as I did and they were hoping I'd someday start back on residential work.

Well, the chatting went on ... but to make a long Thump story a bit shorter, I only had $35 cash on me. (the press was $50 and I had $7 worth of small items) I told them I'd planned on using a credit card. The daughter of the previous owner (it was her mom who'd passed away) was there and the lady asked her if it was ok to discount the items and she said, "Since he seems to be an old "friend" ... let him have it!"

So, essentially, I paid less than $30 for the press! Another great day at the estate sales!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    If I send you the money, will you buy me/us a Powerball Ticket?
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

You DO know that tube is not where you put your 'sausage' don't you?
    Just in case you had other ideas of what a 'sausage press' actually did.
    BKB

I have a sausage just for you ... and I use all-natural casings.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    What a great deal you got there, way to go Jim!!

If you take a look at my sausage making post you will find that we are using one that looks VERY similar. A few years back Dad bought a fancy, electric assist stuffer from Cabelas and though it is nice for some things, I still prefer the old hand-crank stuffer.

Funny thing, when I opened this post all that showed up on the screen was the top bit of the stem on the stuffer and I knew immediately what it was.

Word of advice from someone who knows, don't carry the unit by holding onto the screw stem unless you want zebra-striped hands.
    Last edited by Bwana; 02-26-2014 at 03:36 PM.

Yep Bwana ... that's the same unit (looks like an Enterprise to me)! ... and yeah, it's HEAVY and a bit awkward to carry around.