Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ed, some more help?

Yep, it's been around a while.
    Southern Gentleman

I'm a little late to the party. What is it you're trying to span Bucky? Ditch, creek, ??? How far across? And how deep?

We have a creek that needed "something" to allow wheelies, and tractors to get across. Prior owner of the property thought a big culvert pipe was the answer (evidently). They used about a 12ft length of culvert that had to be 3 ft diameter. They put the pipe in the creek and covered it with dirt. This creek normally runs about 3 to 6 inches deep, and the banks are about 8ft....I'd guess. Well.....when there's a big rain that creek can come out of its banks.....when we bought the place all that was left was the pipe about half full of sand up against one of the banks. Land bridge over creek prone to flooding = BAD IDEA.

We thought about building a bridge, but the span looked too wide to be economical to do.

When we had the fellow out building the lake, we ran the problem by him. He said he could fix it in a jiffy. Ran his (smallish) dozer down there and cut down the banks and made a crossover in about 20 - 30 mins. Later that week he brought in a load of rocks and fixed it so it wouldn't be a mud pit. This has worked great, and has been virtually zero maint so far.
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

Cancer Sucks!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    The crossing that Niner just explained is referred to as a Texas Crossing and they work great where you have a shallow, low velocity depth of flow.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    "Missouri Crossing" here. I took a combine with a 40 foot bean platform across one this fall.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Niner, this:

However, that is irrigation water. I am trying to find out if it ever gets way bigger than that. Also there is a big constant problem not 1,000 yards away from here with beaver dams. Lots I don't know yet. I have assumed it's THIS size all the time, but maybe it isn't.

Also, I think I'm making too big of a deal over this. It is not a requirement. I do NOT have to cross this ditch. I CAN go around it, it's just a long wheely ride in the winter.

If I can get something in place, I doubt it would be crossed more than 30 times a year...........
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

To whom are you giving the finger?

apparently the camera lens
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Looks like an easy place to install a Texas Crossing but would likely want to do it near the field edge so as to not interfere with the acreage unless that isn't a concern.

As for the thought that the creek doesn't get anymore flow than what is shown in the picture, I doubt that is the case unless it is perched above the surrounding land so that no additional inflows can enter the creek which is HIGHLY unlikely. Hard to tell from the picture but it almost appear that the dead vegetation in the bottom of the picture is trash deposited from higher flows. Again, am thinking the Texas Crossing is going to be the easiest, least costly, and least maintenance option.

It separates two agri fields.............both worked by our lessor. He will have to have some say in this. That's the missing piece right now. I think there are several ways to approach this......

The pic was taken just at some random spot. 200 yards behind it, is a marshy spot where it widens out (upstream). It DOES get more water when they are pumping irrigation water. I just don't know how much more.

If I get TO this spot, I have to start at the farmhouse and enter a field, and ride along the outer edge of a huge field, then get to this spot (or one close), cross this potential bridge, then ride along the grassy edge of the next field.........and finally enter a dirt road for the last 500 yards before the woods starts. These fields always have a grassy edge around them. You'd have to ask Ed why......but I'm glad they do.

If I could somehow get an aerial shot of this, it'd make more sense.

That finger is the most annoying thing I've seen today.

You truly are Joe Btfsplk

BKB

Bite me.

You clearly haven't seen yours or Thumps avatar pictures.

Yepper, IMHO I think your best bet is gonna be to get somebody with one of these out there and shave down them banks and make a crossing....If it was me, and it ain't, I'd forget about trying to build a bridge on a shoestring budget.

IMG_1615.JPG

Then again, if y'all have a good sized tractor with a Front-End Loader on it y'all might be able to DIY it.

The only drawback to this kindof crossing that I have found...at least on mine....is that we cannot get across to that area after/during a "frog strangler" rain storm as the water gets to about 3-4 ft deep and, as I mentioned above HAS come out of it's banks before. However that is not a REAL big problem as there's only about 5 -6 acres over there, including a 1 acre food plot and the "carport" that I keep my implements under.

The upside is the ONLY maintenance I've had to do is periodically use the FEL on my tractor to push away the sand deposited during "high tide" so to speak.

Cancer Sucks!

^^^^^Listen to this man. He speaks troof.

Just make a low water crossing that you can get across in a truck. And if your truck can't make it across then your truck and you are both pussies.

BKB

HELLO!!!

This is an irrigation ditch. Downstream is important!! Culvert is a possibility..........knocking down sides is impossible....and wouldn't last five days.

OK then.......next suggestion....

Sell the wheelie!!!

Buy one of these bad boys and swim across that there ditch!!

Hell, it'll even fit in the back of your truck!

Cancer Sucks!

HAHA. Not sure I could get BOTH the front AND the back wheels wet at same time!!!

Plus, as soon as I hit Jennings Road, it's muddier and slicker than owl snot. That device would be on side of road, useless.

I'm not following why a crossing wouldn't work but I trust you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
    I'm not following why a crossing wouldn't work but I trust you.
    Me either. The water will still run the ditch when needed. It's not like it's going to run up the slopes and spill out?????

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

If I knock down the sides with some heavy machinery, and cross at low water, as soon as they start pumping irrigation water for 7 months a year, that cutout is history. It'll wash away, in a day or two. Plus, I STILL don't know how deep this water gets. The picture was taken after all harvest was done...........not a time when they are pumping and ditches are full..... Water is GOING to flow down this ditch, and the dirt is fine row-crop dirt. It won't hold anything like the sides of a washout would have to be.

But if it would work, I'm for sure not against it at all...............

You need a cattle guard bridge. A big ass cattle guard bridge with wing walls.

Or get one of those deals Thump posted.
    BKB

Cattle guard has been thought of.................need to go to Farm and Home and price one.........IF it's big enough.

Is pole vaulting out of the question?
    That works in all seasons.
    BKB

Management type suggestion.

Yep.

Yep I'm not seeing how that wouldn't work either. My big creek runs 12 months of the year. The "rip rap" rocks keep the soil in place. At your farm the spaces between the rocks would fill in with dirt over time and lock them in place. I forget the size number of the rocks they used...they are about softball sized...and there's about a dump truck load of them up the slopes and in the creek.

Take a close look at the Niner pic. That crossing is just about the lowest point on The Farm, and the rocks haven't washed away yet. The creek turns into a raging torrent when there's a big rain...and the rocks are still in the creek bed....haven't washed away yet.

We drive the tractors and my golf buggy across there all the time.

Ask your farmer how deep that ditch runs when he's pumping water. Does he pump water during deer season?

If you'd like, I can take some pics of that crossing the next time I'm down there.

Cancer Sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by Buckrub View Post
    If I knock down the sides with some heavy machinery, and cross at low water, as soon as they start pumping irrigation water for 7 months a year, that cutout is history. It'll wash away, in a day or two. Water is GOING to flow down this ditch, and the dirt is fine row-crop dirt. It won't hold anything like the sides of a washout would have to be. But if it would work, I'm for sure not against it at all...............
    Why is it not washing it away now then?
    How is it going to wash out the crossing? If you make that cut and put rip rap down it will NEVER wash out. Proof being is it ain't washed out for all the years the water been running through it without rip rap and it damn sure ain't gonna wash out with rip rap..

A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Would rock not cost as much as poles??? I have no idea........

Quote Originally Posted by Buckrub View Post
    Would rock not cost as much as poles??? I have no idea........
    Probably by the time you get a machine in there to push or dig it out and then a load of rock. There is not going to be much difference. But there will be a lot less maintenance to the crossing vs the bridge....

Seriously, not being mean spirited I have your answer...
    You need to go to the farmer that leases and row crops the land. Tell him you want to cross that ditch and about WHERE you want to cross it.

Tell him you want him to fix it so you can cross it. Either a cut out crossing, bridge or culvert pipe whichever is the cheapest to do.
    Then tell him you will allow him the cost of fixing it off his next years lease payment when he completes it.

He has the equipment and can do it without a problem.
    Then go home, relax Next time you think about it is when you drive across it.

It is something I have already thought about. His brother (not too close, but not awful far away) has some heavy machinery. I was going to see if my guy would do it, if/when I get to talk to him about this whole thing.

In fact, what I think I'm going to do, is email him (his wife answers all emails, he never does, she's the 'manager') and include this picture, and tell them that I have been drawing this for some guys offering me suggestions for crossing this ditch......and see if he has any ideas on A) if it should be done and if not, why not, and B) if so, how would he suggest it be done so it's long lasting?

Then.........go from there.........and see if he might do it.