Thread: Ruger American Rimfire

Ruger American Rimfire

Have any of y'all seen one of these units yet?

American Rifleman did a piece on them this month and gave them pretty good marks.

Supposed to have a pretty good trigger out of the box, and is adjustable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    I'm hearing good things and looked pretty hard at one in .22 mag. Unfortunately, I discovered the bolt does not lock down when the gun is on safe. It's a deal-breaker for me. Couldn't run fast enough to give me one. Looking at Henry lever or pump.. maybe a CZ in bolt action - or a (real) bargain on a couple others..
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

If I could find someone that knows how to work on the trigger of a Browning BL22 I'd forget looking at other 22's.

Bolt lockdown.....for the application this rifle would be assigned....would not be that critical. It'll be used popping squirrels and chipmunks off of the back porch, using 22 Long CB caps. SO a semi auto is kinda sorta out of the running. Yeah, I know I could work the action manually...and I have done just that, but the triggers on most semi auto 22's suck. When you are trying to hit a chipmunk at 50 yards with CB's everything has to be just about perfect.

The trigger on my Browning is not really all that bad. No creep, just too many pounds required to make it go bang IMO.

Speaking of Henry. We happened upon Ted Nugent's show on the TV last night. In one segment he was target shooting with a Henry Golden Boy rifle. The Mrs. commented several times on how nice that rifle looked.

Just out of curiosity, HH, which .22's bolt actions out there have a bolt locking mechanism?

Cancer Sucks!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    Niner.. that being the case - I think the American might be alright for you. As I said, word I've heard from several people who have them has been pretty good. Accuracy and trigger have both gotten good reviews. They look like a pretty decent rifle - especially for the money. I would have probably owned one - but I've pulled up to shoot, after walking though the brush, only to find the bolt dragged up and it won't fire for the last time. I have a Zastava that the action is so slick on - it will literally fall open and throw the live shell out on the ground. If the s.o.b. wasn't scary accurate it would be down the road. I keep it around for a back-up for son and sil.

Anchutz, CZ, Kimber and Ruger (77/22). There are probably more but I'm just starting to run them down. I carried a Marlin 25M for the last few days of coon season and I'd like to have wrapped it around a tree.
    Last edited by HideHunter; 03-01-2014 at 01:23 PM.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    Niner buy it in a 17 HMR and really light those little buggers up. You could call it Chipmunk Be Gone Spray. I have several 22's and 17's. I doubt I'll ever buy another 22 again as the 17HMR is just too much fun factor working for it. I too am eyeing that Ruger American pretty hard. Seems to be a pretty nice little rifle.

Well, BLAST!!!
    I wrote to Ruger Customer Service, and they said the American Rimfire WILL shoot "Longs", but they have to be loaded individually into the chamber.......and in a paragraph in ALL CAPS they said never to load a "Short", "Long", or a "Shot Shell" into the magazine.

SO, I guess that answers my question about whether or not anything but a .22 LR can be used in their rotary magazine.

I guess I'll have to continue my search for a non-semi-auto .22 and limit it only to rifles with tubular magazines.

Cancer Sucks!