Thread: Dang! How to F-up a good chopper!

Dang! How to F-up a good chopper!

I'd hate to have to explain this one to the boss!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    Wow...that scared ME right there...^

Is it ironic that happened in Poland?

BKB

Ha! Fitting ... but not a Pollack ... it was actually a Kiwi (Auckland, New Zealand).

Googled and found the story ....

A helicopter installing a Christmas tree in Auckland, New Zealand, was involved in a dramatic crash after the craft became tangled in wires. Jaz Gribble, son of the pilot, shares how the crash was ‘nervewracking’.

A videographer captured a helicopter crash in Auckland, New Zealand at the Viaduct Basin or Viaduct Harbor on Auckland’s waterfront. The helicopter was installing a seven-story tall Christmas tree when it apparently became entangled in cables that were suspending the tree. The force of the torque splits the helicopter in two pieces, and the pilot escapes out of a door, while limping, after he was helped out by at least five co-workers. The whining noise is the sound of the motor that continues to operate even after the tail is split from the main body of the helicopter.

Apparently no serious injuries occurred, but the helicopter was destroyed.

The helicopter operator was apparently Helisika, which is a family business based out of Ardmore Airport in Auckland, New Zealand. Helisika provide lifting, charter, agricultural, forestry, film, fishing, and firefighting services in New Zealand, according to their website.

Dang that reminds me of one time when I was in the Navy. I was sitting on my motorcycle in the parking lot by Pier 12 in Norfolk Naval Base down where the carriers dock.

I was watching a big helicopter coming in for a landing at the Naval Air Station, which was just on the other side of Willoughby Bay. He was on a clear path to the landing zone. Just as he was about to land some trees, or a building or something (I forget now) blocked my view of the helicopter. Then I heard a BOOM and saw a plume of smoke. I heard on the news later that they were returning from a training flight and something went wrong and they crashed. Unfortunately, all hands were lost. Sent a chill up my spine then, as it did just now thinking about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

I have been on scenes over the years and witnessed incidents where medical helicopters have crashed and or hit things. 3 of them to be exact which has to be a record of some kind. Let me tell you, helicopters are 10 thousand ways to die. Lots of energy and moving parts flying apart. Scarey stuff.

Me too LW. Once a load of folks left Charlotte after the race and crashed in the middle of US 74 killing everyone on board. I was out there for hours.
    Seen several of them go down. Never good

A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    I have a buddy who's a pilot.. A good pilot.. has certifications for lots of oddball shit. Won't go near a helicopter. Say's they have all the aerodynamics of an eggbeater - only not built as well. But for the record, and I have no aeronautic experience .. I saw it coming.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Ever since I was a kid, I've wanted a gyrocopter. I think I must have been 14 or so when I sent off to Benson Gyrocopter in Fort Worth and they sent me a catalogue and a bunch of information. Its supposed to be one of the safest aircraft there is but I've never known anyone whose had one. they look like they'd be fun as hell though.

BKB

I heard an ex....errr former Marine chopper pilot say that a helicopter does not fly. It just beats the air into submission.

I always thought that was funny as all get out.

My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

When I first joined the Army, I applied for Warrant Officer Flight School as I wanted to fly helicopters. The CIA dude who talked me into going into Mil. Intel. used that against me. He told me what the average life expectancy for a chopper pilot in 'Nam was and it helped change my mind. (he was a good salesman!)

How many hours was a chopper pilot expected to live? Longer thatn a 90 day wonder LT? One of my dad's friends was ther 3 days. Since he had a year of college, he was made into an officer.
    My dad always said he was a great guy. Ran cross country. Never very good, but always finished the race.
    Last edited by hotshot; 03-08-2014 at 07:16 PM.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    Wife's uncle bought it flying a chopper in 'Nam.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.