Thread: The results are in...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Did you know Talapia is a bottom feeding fish like a carp and was considered a trash fish up to just a few years ago. You can grow them in a cesspool (really) and mostly they are grass eaters. They were popular in golf course ponds. Because they are easy to "farm" raise and will raise in about any kind of nasty water, and the unique name they started to gain popularity. They were originally raise for pet food, and keeping moss/grass out of golf course ponds. I personally cannot stand them. Every time I see a restaurant bragging on having "fresh" Talapia I always think that sure ain't nothing to brag about!

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/02/sc...apia.html?_r=0

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Yeppers, I know that. Not much different than catfish I suppose. Heck, Foo's "part Korean" and eats carp!

We have a large fish market in town where the local fishermen are usually lined up in the back unloading their daily catches. Everything there is right off the boat. A load of talapia was being unloaded and she grabbed one. I look at 'em as large perch ... Nile Perch!

Heck, if I worried about what critters eat, I prolly wouldn't eat pork! BTW, on a similar note to your story .... did you know lobster used to be a "trash fish" and only fed to convicts or the poor?

Prior to the mid-nineteenth century, lobster was considered a mark of poverty or as a food for indentured servants or lower members of society and servants even specified in employment agreements that they would not eat lobster more than twice per week. Lobster was also commonly served in prisons, much to the displeasure of inmates. American lobster was initially deemed worthy only of being used as fertilizer or fish bait.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Yeppers, I know that. Not much different than catfish I suppose.
    Nope, Catfish Is Prime rib compared to Talapia... You can compare them Carp and be a LOT closer. They have no taste other than what you put on them and are really not healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!