Thread: Thar's Gold in Them Thar Hills

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar

Thar's Gold in Them Thar Hills

A Canadian company is proposing to spend more than $1 billion over 15 years restarting and operating a Lancaster County gold mine that has operated periodically for almost two centuries, according to government documents.

Read more here: http://www.thestate.com/2014/03/14/3...#storylink=cpy

I did not know that kind of gold is in SC?

Lancaster county SC and Union County NC were very large gold producing areas.
    I just purchased 50 acres that joins the area they are mining. Hope they will want to buy me out soon! :-)
    My Dads brother was a chemist at Howie gold mine here in Waxhaw for many years.
    Lots of gold in our area. On our farm here in NC there are several open gold mine pits.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    OK, here's a Thump-type story....................

I live off of US 65 north of Conway. When I moved here, US 65 was a simple two lane road (goes from here to Branson, MO). Across US 65 from me was an old man that had about 100 acres and an old (but decent) house. He had a son late in life, and I went to school with him, so I sort of knew the old man. At one point me and Mother were burning wood in an outside wood burning stove that provided central heat and hot water to both our houses. It was supposed to be "efficient" but it wasn't, it just wasted wood!!!

Anyway, at that time, I was cutting wood anywhere I could beg someone to let me. They began to widen US 65 (now 4 lane with turn lane) for a ways, and they had to cut a tree down on this old man's property. It was close to road, so I drove up and knocked on door, and asked if I could cut it down before the Hwy Dept burned it or whatever. He said "Man, NOBODY but you has bothered to ask. I've run off more people that just stopped thinking they'd steal it. But since you asked, YES, you can, and I'll go get my Mac 1010 and help you".

Well, turned out he was mostly senile. Nice old man, but a bit 'off'. The sheriff was a friend of mine, I'd gone to school with him (and this guy's son), too, and the old man had called the Sheriff often to complain about people "spying" on him, etc. I called Sheriff and told him to let me know if he got called again. He did, and I would go over and talk to the old man. When we were out cutting the tree, he'd say "Here comes a car, don't let them see your face. You do NOT want to be seen with me!!!". I'd say "Mr. Price, it's my honor to be seen with you, and I don't care who knows it". He ate that up.

Well one day a helicopter flew over (they ain't stopped, actually !!!!), and he said " Know what those guys are doing? They're searching for GOLD!!! They got machines that tell 'em where it is. And I got some and they want it!!! I ain't lettin' none of 'em land on my pasture!!"

Well, turned out they were surveying stuff for what is now known as "The Fayetteville Shale" project.....natural gas from here to Missouri. But he was convinced that he had gold on his property and folks wanted it. It never occurred to him to go find it himself.

He died, and some development company bought that 100 acres and started making row houses out of it. The bust hit (Thanks Clinton) and they stopped about 1/3 done, and it looks awful now. It is right in front of me across US 65 every time I go to town. When I see it, I think of Mr. Price and THE GOLD!!
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.