Thread: Hey youse Freemasons (or anybody who might know)

Hey youse Freemasons (or anybody who might know)

I went to an estate sale this morning and the ol' guy who'd lived there was obviously a Shriner. There were those fez thingies ... or all sorts of those silly looking "hats" around there as well as all sorts of "ritual" paraphernalia and books, etc. But something caught my eye that just looked cool for some reason. I have no clue what this is. When it first caught my eye, I thought it was an old acid etched photographic plate ... but it's more modern I think ... on a piece of aluminum sheeting. (I actually have 4 of them) I notice it does have that old Mason "eyeball" at top center ... no clue what the rest of the picture means or stands for. (heck, I've never really understood the connection between Masons and Shriners anyway, although I know there is one) I really don't know how to research these things because I have no clue what they are or how they're used. They're all the same and the pieces of aluminum sheet is 3 1/4" X 4 1/4". Anybody have a clue?

Sorry, I had a heck of a time photographing these things ... either I'd get a reflection from the flash, or without, they would be too dark.

shrinersplates 006.JPG shrinersplates 010.JPG

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    I could tell you. But, then I'd have to kill you.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Ha ha! Yeah, maybe you could email it in code!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Jean had a long moustache.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    Lots of symbolism there Jimmy. Take a long time to decipher all of it, and that is if I had it in hand to take a good look at it. But there seems to be a conglomeration of Masonic symbol. Not sure there is a specific reason why they are all on the plate.

One of the more interesting one is the two globes on the stilts. I always liked that one. One is a standard globe of the earth. The other is a globe of the sky and constellations as seen from the earth. That's why it doesn't have any continents. At least if that is the same symbol as I am familiar with.

As to what they are used for? My guess is purely ornamental. Something to remind a man of some of the lessons he has been exposed to.

Will

That "Mason" eye is the All Seeing Eye. You can also see it on the back of your dollar bills over the top of an unfinished pyramid and also on the reverse side of the Great Seal of the United States, and that's all I'm gonna say about that....
    Wills last statement is most correct...

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Well, I plan on listing them on The Bay if I can figure out what to call 'em so I can research 'em. I just thought they were cool. Any o'youse Masons want one? I have four of 'em and I'd gladly send 'em to ya' (gratis) if'n ya' wants one. I didn't pay an arm & a leg for 'em.

Masonic collage.....

A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Thanks Archer ... err, I mean Cappy! (ref: 2-word post)

I still can't find anything like it, but I think I'll just "wing-it" with the "Masonic collage" description. I'll simply run it as an auction and see what happens (which is normally what I do if I know nothing of an item's value). The problem is, to run an auction, I at least have to come up with a name or description of some sort so people can find it in the first place, during a search. Lacking any better option, "Masonic collage" it is!

Oh, and I may have f'd up. I figured I'd go back today (1/2 price day) and scarf up the rest of the paraphernalia that may still be there (hats/fez, Mason Bibles, procedures/by-laws books, "butterfly wing" plaques, etc etc), but last night Lynn reminded me we have to pick up a couple of friends this morning and take them to Orlando. Heck, there was even a watch with a Masonic symbol on it (still new in the case) that I was interested in.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    I was looking through an old dump that washed out of the river bank and found a Masonic commemorative bottle. Thought I really had something. Looked it up on the internet - sure enough - worth big bucks.. until I discovered the also made "replicas" .. Basically worth nothing - but I thought it was a coincidence. Sits here on the desk and looks cool.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    I don't know nuthin' about none of that.

What I see.......is that you are getting 'out and about' more and more..........and apparently doing SOME better........no?
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Actually Bucky, since I went on the CPAP, I've been getting quality sleep. I don't really sleep "longer" ... but I'm able to get some NREM sleep which I don't think I've ever done in my life! That said, I'm generally good first thing in the morning, but as the day progresses, I go downhill rapidly. I'm working on my fifth year fighting this back and the associated pain, so I've basically grown "used to it". We're in a pretty small town (compared to Tampa or Orlando) so there are only 1-3 estate sales/week here. I'm good in the morning and I'm usually finished up with the sales by 9-10 ... or maybe noon at the very latest. By that time, I'm pretty much toast for the rest of the day. I'll come home, rest up a bit, then hit the computer, which doesn't take a lot of effort on my part. So basically, this estate sale/eBay gig is a perfect fit for me. On other occasions, if I "go the distance", I generally just "suck it up" and pay the price later. I've been doing it so long, hardly anybody ever notices I'm suffering through it (other than Lynn).

And I guess I can mention now, I'm going in for another surgery on Wednesday. I've lost count actually ... I think this is number 10 (maybe 11?) ... heck, I don't even know. BUT ... I told my doc I'm tired of hospitals and if there's any way they can send me home when I come out of recovery, that's what I want to do. He said as long as there are no complications, he can probably arrange it. So ... you "might" not even miss me. I've been around the block so many times now ... this one is just a minor speed bump ... Co9 needs EVERYONE'S undivided attention right now. Send him your prayers.

Good luck Kribbers.... I'll be thinking about you too!

This will be a debriedment, so it'll just be a bit of cutting and a little "digging" ... then they'll patch me back up 'til the next time. It's "surgery" ... but "minor" surgery in the whole scheme of things. I'm gettin' there, slowly but surely.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    Minor surgery for you would be:
    Vasectomy
    Brain Surgery

Major surgery for you would be:
    Gastronectomy (I made that up)
    Nosectomy (I made that up too)
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.