Thread: I May not make it until...

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar

I May not make it until...

... dinner.

It was in the 60's here the past couple if says. Tonight, they're calling for 4-8" of snow. I decided to use it as an excuse to make one of my favorite winter meals - red wine braised beef short ribs. The hard part is how good thus smells as it braises in the oven for 2.5 hours. This is just about ready to go into the oven.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    I have never been able to make beef ribs edible............
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

That looks like it would be mighty fine....
    Wish I lived close enough to drop by and find out

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Burp. Come on up. There's plenty if leftovers and I'll leave the pitch light on, Coz.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Porch

Cuz

You're welcome.

What's the inside of one of them look like?
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Bucky, these are boneless "beef short ribs" - the beef equivalent of country style pork ribs. They're not quite as good as the real thing, but they were on sale for half off. I've always just braised them in a Dutch oven and they turn out great. (I served these over a bed of asparagus risotto with some of the reserved liquid.). Ive never tried to smoke them like I would pork ribs.

Well, no........... but I've not been able to do a dang thing with them, other than transform them into the same products that the outside of the cow is usually turned into.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckrub View Post
    What's the inside of one of them look like?
    It breaks apart with a fork like a good pot roast. On the bone in ribs, the meat just falls off the bone and you remove it. Then you strain off all the veggies, skim the fat. The left over liquid has already thickened into a gravy.

Braising in a DO is sort of the inside equivalent if using your outdoor smoker. (It's a great way to tenderize cheaper cuts.). I've even seen the hard core cast iron guys do a pork butt in a DO. I'm not sure why any one who had a smoker would do that. But, to each his own.

You know..........um..............(Why do I admit stuff that makes y'all make fun of me? I never know......)..........I have come to dislike "Pot Roast". I don't like the consistency, etc., of stringy meat.

But the real reason, I guess, is this........raising 3 kids, we had enough to eat, were NOT poor. But we didn't get to eat out much, etc. So, every Sunday, my wife would get up and 'sear' this pot roast meat thingy, stick it in a pot roast pan (which we have about 4 of, taking up space), pour water over it, and stick in potatoes and carrots, and stick it in the oven. We go to church, come home, it's ready. It did make the house smell good. BUT IT WAS EVERY STINKING SUNDAY!

I decided then that the real definition of 'rich' was not tied to my bank account. The real definition was A) having a tool to do most of what my VERY limited skills would allow me to do, and B) NEVER eating another pot roast again, and going out to eat after church EVERY Sunday.

I'm working on A). I have B) down pat.

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    Hammering Hank is spot on Bucky. I used this recipe from Tyler Florence and let me tell you, it ain't like nobody's pot roast. Looks larrupin CD . Braised ribs are the bisnom

Ingredients

Short ribs:
    3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    3 pounds short ribs,
    salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1 medium onion, chopped
    2 carrots, chopped
    1 large tomato, quartered
    3 ribs celery
    1/2 head garlic, peeled
    fresh thyme
    1 1/2 cups red wine
    2 cups beef stock
    4 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley

Preheat a cast iron pot with lid

Season the short ribs with salt and pepper, drizzle with a little oil, and brown on all sides.

Put the onion, garlic, celery, carrot, and tomato into a food processor and puree

Take Dutch oven and place over medium-high heat. Add oil and add the thyme to infuse the oil. Next add the vegetable pulp, season with salt and pepper, to taste, and cook for about 10 minutes. Pour in the red wine and stock and bring it to a boil. Take the ribs and put them into the braising mix; the liquid should just about cover the meat. Place the lid loosely on top, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the meat is very tender, approximately 2 1/2 to 3 hours.

When the ribs are about finished, remove about 1 to 2 cups of liquid and strain into a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Heat the sauce until slightly reduced and thickened, about 5 minutes.
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

QA, the recipe I used us one I downloaded from Bon Appetit. A couple if steps and amounts were slight different, but the ingredients are basically the same. Bucky, I get what you're saying. But this wouldn't be confused with anybody's pot roast.

OH, I'd eat it, man, and like it.

I'm way less of a food chauvinist than some folks are...............but I don't like what I don't like.......Pot Roast, I don't hate, it just has this phobia thing working for me!