Thread: JB

JB

You figure out a load for the Colts yet?

I know this won't apply to yours but in the Rugers that 270 RCBS SAA lubed with SPG, which from my alloy weighs about 285 with 21 of H110 or WW 296 is pretty damn good. Softball sized rocks at about 150 yards don't have much of a chance. Figure 1100-1200 fps with this. Do need to tweak it a bit because the powder burns a little dirty at this low of pressure. Probably need to either go to Unique for this velocity or increase charge to at least 23 grains which will give somewhere over 1300 fps. This load will penetrate a 20 inch half rotten oak stump against the grain and a 250 jacketed or a hard cast 250 Oregon Trail with the same powder charge won't. Also in this alloy with SPG lube a 429421 square groove .44 loaded to about the same 1200 fps speed will also penetrate like that.

Most bullets are cast way too hard, makes them brittle and they lead like hell. This 1-16 or so is what Elmer used. Seems funny it ain't been improved on much.
    A man gets one great horse and one great dog in his life, a damn lucky man might get two.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar
    Gus,
    I have not started to reload for my SAA's, one, I can't find any powder, can't find casings and can't find bullets.
    Well I can find some, but not for the $$$ they want.
    I have enough factory stuff around till I find the components.
    I did buy a used Dillion 550B, need a few parts to update what it came with, but Dillion is backloged also so I'm SOOL for now.
    When I do get things rolling I'll give you a shout.
    Right now my SAA's are (2) 45 Colt, one of which I have a 45ACP cylinder on order for the 3rd Generation model, then I have a 38-40 and am working on getting my 32-20 up and running.
    Darn fun guns to handle and shoot.
    I also have a Ruger Bisley in 38-357, just a little bigger gun that fits my hands better, but it just doesn't do anything to me like those Colts do.
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

Dang! I should'a contacted some o'youse dufes. I went to an estate sale a couple weeks ago and they had all sorts of reloading equipment. They also had about 5-6 canisters of various gun powders. I've never reloaded (never had the interest) and I pretty much ignored what was there. I DO remember the powder was priced at what struck me as low. I guess they didn't want to deal with "explosives" if it didn't sell so they were trying to get rid of the stuff. Is it still hard to come by? I may have missed a good opportunity but the thought of shipping stuff like that turns me against it.

Yepper, you wouldn't really want to ship it.....hazmat fees and such. BUT, ya coulda hauled it north on yer next Alabama trip....if it was some that I use.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

Bummer. I glanced at the stuff and kept on walkin'. Lesson learned.

If they had powder they may have had dies and other loading "tools".

Depending on how they were priced, you might have been able to make a little. If the powder was opened and a partial canister, it may have even been hard to move on Craigslist.
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

Oh, there were all sorts of dies and a Dillon (I think) reloader with scale and that sort of stuff. I was "on a mission" when I spotted the stuff and never went back to check it out. I did pick up some of the powder and the canisters were heavy, but I didn't check to see how full they were. I've never reloaded so I don't really know about that sort of stuff. I didn't really have time to research it then because there was another sale I was in a rush to get to.

JB, Just cast your own or try some commercial caster. http://www.montanabulletworks.com/ is one I've heard good things about. Oregon Trail etc are way too hard. Dillon must not be too backlogged, I broke down and ordered a set of .45 ACP dies to replace the RCBS I have. RCBS are fine and all but for progressive reloading the Dillon are way better. Radiused quite a bit more, and a .44 conversion kit. It works to load .44 with the .45 colt conversion in place but you gotta be a little careful. If I recall you wanted to load to Schofield levels. Just stay away from jacketed bullets because you'll either wear the piece fast or stick one in the barrel. You could always go with a Lee Tumble Lube mould.
    A man gets one great horse and one great dog in his life, a damn lucky man might get two.

Oh and Jim, you're a dufus! That stuff sells on ebay too. That and well, you're just a dufus.

Got the stuff from Dillon I ordered last week. Possibly things are looking up.