Thread: Stupid "advertising"?

Stupid "advertising"?

One thing I can't do anymore is wash my own car, so nowadays I have to run down to the local car wash. It's one of those "hand wash" places where they run it through the automatic car wash thingy, then a crew wipes the car down, cleans the interior, windows in & out, cleans the wheels and shines the tires, etc. As I was sitting inside waiting for them to finish up, I paid my bill and the gal behind the counter asked if I wanted to contribute to "Joe Blow's" (don't remember his name) wheelchair fund. Huh? She then pointed to a poster and a donations jar at the end of the counter.

I stepped over to read the poster and they were taking up donations to buy "Joe" a "customized & motorized" wheelchair. Ok, sounds like a reasonable cause. I continued to read "Joe's" story. Evidently he crashed his motorcycle (no mention of details) and is now paralyzed, so this place is taking up a collection for some sort of fancy wheelchair thingy. Ok, I'm a compassionate dude and was considering dropping a buck in the jar, even though I had no clue who "Joe" was.

BUT ... at the bottom of the poster they had a big 8'X10" photo of "Joe". The pic was of a big, hairy, bearded, tattooed biker dude sitting on a Harley with a dang BEER in his hand.

I caught myself standing there judging this guy ... without knowing him ... and I had a negative feeling about the whole thing. He may be a great guy ... who knows? I didn't drop that dollar in the jar. I sat waiting for my car and the whole time I was thinking, "What sort of moron would post a picture of a dude on a motorcycle, drinking beer and then ask for donations because he crashed his bike?"

It's kind of bugging me. Was I too judgmental?

As Buggs Bunny would say......
    What a maroon!
    SURELY they could have found a better pic of the dude.
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    Something tells me that Thumpers gonna go back tomorrow and put a dollar in the jar so he can get some sleep!!!...Been there, done that...

The fact its bugging you shows how cool you are...

I'll get off easy Airbud ... they're closed on Sunday.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    Hey - when I made my two trips to Vegas (first and last).. I gave *one* dollar to *one* panhandler.. the one whose sign said "Why lie? I want to buy beer." I know it was just another "hook" - but I liked it.
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Thumper, you mean to tell me you NEVER drank a beer and road a bike or hot rod auto???

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Thumper, you mean to tell me you NEVER drank a beer and road a bike or hot rod auto???
    I didn't crash.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I didn't crash.
    I call Bullshit on that! Maybe you didn't get hurt, but you crashed......

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!