Thread: Hi, my name is...........

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar

Hi, my name is...........

Buckrub, and I'll be your server tonight.

Specials include an appetizer of Offspring Angst. Main courses include Extreme Frustration with your choice of a hole in your side(s), Total Poverty served on a bed of Stupid Choices, or Family Insanity with Indifference. Dessert will be the Coffin of your choice.

Back. Gone again Tuesday to go ride west and solve another set of problems!! YEE HAAAA

Thanks for dining with us tonight!!
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

See? That's why your daddy told you to always wear a "raincoat".

So......how's that new Chebby doing on those loooonnnngggg road trips?????
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

18+ on way out there, about 20 on way back. No clue why the difference.

Finding diesel is a problem. You can NOT use the 'back' truck stop fuel pump at Pilot or such places.......they ONLY take 'fleet' cards, not regular credit cards. Even where it exists, there's only one diesel pump, and there's a line.

Cheapest gas is in Birmingham, by far. Georgia is expensive. Tupelo used to be cheapest on that route, but they're not anymore.

Truck rides like a truck. Smooth as silk on good roads........stiff (like a truck oughtta be) on bumpy ones. But solid as a Straight Flush. It does way more than I have figured out, of course. It has buttons for everything. The "nav" is different than my Nuvi...........some things are better and some worse. Can't find any setting to tell me "What is the remaining miles on this trip?" yet......but nice to have a built in 8" screen. Answering the phone using the steering wheel and talking over the radio speakers and mic is cool beans. Lots of vehicles have that, though. Nice to have XM radio (for a while, I won't keep it), but I can't figure out how to turn the channel using the steering wheel controls. Dang steering wheel has fifty buttons its ownself.

Was going to get spray in liner in Savannah, but it didn't work out. No one makes the step bars or bug shield or any other dang thing for it yet........they all say "That isn't listed yet". Mama has to have step ladder to get in. Step bars will help, if they ever make them.

Tuesday I guess I get to find out more about it....leaving for Colorado, back April 1st (no joke!). Then I get to go to South Carolina in mid April.

Overall impression is great. Maybe some day I'll stop being pulled in 9 directions and get to pull the camper with it, which is why I bought it!!!
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

Wait till your first full service....

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Free for 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckrub View Post
    Free for 2 years.
    HAHAHAHAhahaha. You REALLY think that? You don't think that was paid for in the price of the truck....

Just wait...

A Government that pays people to do nothing destorys their willingness to do anything!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar
    I've found mileage for me is affected by: who's gas I use, what blend (summer/winter) the grade used and speed.
    On our trip to FL last month I experimented a little, Shell regular gave me the best mpg at 18 mpg, Shell mid grade along with BP increased it to 19.5 mpg, but figuring in the additional cost for mid grade it was a feel good number but not a cost savings. The farther we got South the better the mpg. If I kept the speed at 69 or less I'd get the best mpg, 70+ seemed to be the break point where it would drop my mpg down at least one or two mpg.
    On your new truck I don't think you'll see your best mpg till you get about 5k on it, or your first full service is done.
    I found on my Chevy 250 HD, it rode the best with about 300 lbs of something in the bed of the truck, smoothed out the rough roads just a little.
    My new vehicle came with running boards, big help for Kay to get into and out of, I think you'll like yours when they are installed.
    Nice that those trips are breaking it in, I've always thought highway miles are a better break than around town, just vary the speed a little.
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    HAHAHAHAhahaha. You REALLY think that? You don't think that was paid for in the price of the truck....

Just wait...

Ok, 'scuse me.

I don't have to pay anything EXTRA for two years for maintenance. Is that better?

Quote Originally Posted by jb View Post
    I've found mileage for me is affected by: who's gas I use, what blend (summer/winter) the grade used and speed.
    On our trip to FL last month I experimented a little, Shell regular gave me the best mpg at 18 mpg, Shell mid grade along with BP increased it to 19.5 mpg, but figuring in the additional cost for mid grade it was a feel good number but not a cost savings. The farther we got South the better the mpg. If I kept the speed at 69 or less I'd get the best mpg, 70+ seemed to be the break point where it would drop my mpg down at least one or two mpg.
    On your new truck I don't think you'll see your best mpg till you get about 5k on it, or your first full service is done.
    I found on my Chevy 250 HD, it rode the best with about 300 lbs of something in the bed of the truck, smoothed out the rough roads just a little.
    My new vehicle came with running boards, big help for Kay to get into and out of, I think you'll like yours when they are installed.
    Nice that those trips are breaking it in, I've always thought highway miles are a better break than around town, just vary the speed a little.
    It has neat info system. Two separate mpg readouts, most new vehicles have that. But it has a 3rd one, that tells you constantly variable MPG, best MPG last 50 miles, last 100 miles, etc.. Interesting to watch that slide bar, as you said. It will go way up when letting up on the pedal (even the dang pedals are adjustable, btw!!!) even if going uphill!!! The slightest change affects it.

One really bizarre deal happened. I almost hate to mention it. East of Birmingham on I-20, the constant MPG just went through the floor. No reason, no particular hills, nothing much different at all.........it just started downhill, 18.5, 18.4, 18.3, and kept going at a slow but fairly constant rate, all the way down to 13.9.........and after a few miles, it just went back to normal. I didn't change a thing. Now get this.........on the way back, same road, same place, SAME thing happened!!! WEIRD!! Bermuda (Birmingham?) Triangle!!!

Bucky, don't all the major truck stops (Loves, Flying J, Pilot, Petro, T/A, etc) have diesel on the "automobile" side????

Also, Lynn and I both have a super cool app. downloaded on our smartphones you may want to check out. When we travel, we always check ahead for the cheapest gas. Sometimes it's totally crazy the way the prices fluctuate. We can check prices and just 1 or 2 exits later (or possibly the next town) might be 10 - 15 cents different. Download the "GasBuddy" app. (it's free) We use the heck out of it.

http://www.gasbuddy.com/GasBuddyMobileApps.aspx

It lets you know gas and diesel prices.

Cool site....thanks, Thump.
    Southern Gentleman

Yeah, Thump. But I was doing what I don't like, traveling on weekends, and that side was packed!! Plus, there is just the one pump, and I ain't the onliest diesel on the road.

Thanks for the app, will check it out.